Heading Down Under

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Well, Chimpie's not the only one who's gonna be outta town.

Friday afternoon, we (wife, baby and I) will be heading off to Australia for almost 2 weeks. My wife's brother and his wife are living there temporarily (last Feb. through Aug.), so we'll be spending some time with them and seeing the sights, including a 4 day trip to Tasmania. This will be the first time I've ever left the country (except for the Canadian side of Niagra Falls), and needless to say, I'm excited.

This will be the first "real" vacation we've had since the baby was born (other than trips to Indiana to see my wife's family).

Hopefully will get my website up and running shortly after I get back, with some pictures.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Awesome, have fun! :D :D :D

I am SOOOOOOOO jealous :angry: :p

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
WOW!!! I sooooo want to go there. I have been all over Europe, Mexico, Canada...but Austrailia would be most awesomest!!!

Have fun and be safe....

Oh and watch out for those talking kangaroos.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Cool - have fun! Remember, the toilets flush in the other direction!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Have fun... I want a full 300-word report on the benifits of using motorcycle response (as in Sydney) as a QRS / Fly car in a multi-tiered system.... :D

Really, have fun

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd be afraid of being eatin by a croc, or one of those snakes that we all wish would bite that weird guy on TV that kisses the "most toxic snake on the planet". Crikey Mate. Have fun, watch where ya step.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I visited Australia when I was in the service, including Perth and Hobart, Tasmania (the only time in my life I thought about deserting... :) )

Australia is a wonderful place, but Tasmania rocks!!!!! Be sure you go to the zoo and see a "real" Tasmanian Devil. I wish I could remember more, but I was too (choose one) drunk/sloshed/bombed/tanked/plastered.

Have a fun and safe trip, and drop us a line while you're there! B)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Chris,

Sounds awesome, but I really think it would be safe it you brought an EMT with you. I've heard Australl... Australy... Australia, is that how you say it? is a third world country, and you really need a wingman to watch out for you and the family.

So when are we leaving? :D B)

Have a good time!

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Just finished packing. T minus 38 hours. :D Its hard to believe that two adults and one 17 month old need so much stuff for a 12 day trip.

The Tasmania trip is going to be great. We're flying into Launceston (in the north) and spending the next 3 days driving down to Hobart (in the south). No real specific plans (other than the hotels)...just gonna see what we can along the way.

Unfortunately, other than Tasmania, we're probably only going to get out of the Sydney area one other day (to the Blue Mountains). But, guess that's an excuse to go back sometime. :D

Also, just today set-up a "firefighter's tour" of the Sydney area. I have a friend from the Code 3 Collectibles forum who's a member of the Penrith Rural Fire Brigade (aka volunteer fire department) and Marsden Park Volunteer Rescue Squad. He and his wife were here in the States back in September and got together with them a couple times, so he's gonna return the favor and take me around to his two departments, the Sydney HQ fire station and the national fire museum. Hopefully will get some good pics from that too to share.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Apr 30 2005, 03:20 AM
:unsure:
Ya thinking the aboriginies got him?

I'm kind of suprised we haven't heard from him yet, either.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
His email acct is temp. suspended. :blink:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Apr 30 2005, 09:12 AM
He does that when he leaves town

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Apr 30 2005, 05:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Apr 30 2005, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chimpie@Apr 30 2005, 09:12 AM
He does that when he leaves town [/b][/quote]
Right, which makes me wonder if he's even back in town yet. I can understand not going to the forums (even though THIS IS EMTLIFE we're talking about) but at least he would have turned his emails back on.

:(

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Alright. His mailbox is still disabled. Two more weeks and we're all taking a vacation to find him. Who's with me?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@May 4 2005, 07:14 PM
Alright. His mailbox is still disabled. Two more weeks and we're all taking a vacation to find him. Who's with me?
I'll go, so long as you are footing the bill...

Jon

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
This is Matt's forum. I think he should foot the bill.

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Well, the e-mail thing wasn't intentional. Even Verizon can't figure out WHY its "temporarily suspended" and I'm on my second trouble ticket now trying to get it fixed. In the meantime, you can use cagaylord@verizon.net if you need to get ahold of me.

Oh yeah, I'm back. ;)

I actually got back last Wed., but I've been busy trying to catch up, so haven't had time to come on here 'til now.

Trip was great! I still can't believe how much we did, and I still feel like there was tons of stuff we didn't do. Here's a brief synopsis:

Day 1 - Flew...and flew...and flew. Then slept.

Day 2 - Went down to Circular Quay (the main ferry terminal by the Opera House) and had a typical Australian BBQ breakfast, then took a harbor cruise.

Day 3 - Took the ferry to the Taronga Zoo and spent most of the morning there. Then took the ferry over to Darling Harbor (where the Aquarium is) and walked to the Powerhouse Museum (old, converted power plant...kinda a science/technology museum).

Day 4 - Took the bus to Bondi Beach and walked from there to Coogee Beach (a couple miles). Stopped along the way to let Amory play at Clovely Beach, then again at Coogee. Walked back to my bro & sis-in-laws apartment.

Day 5 - Took the ferry back to Darling Harbor and went to the National Maritime Museum (including the replica of Capt. Cook's Endeavour which was open to the public for the first time...just got back from 10 years sailing around the world). Then went to the Aquarium.

Day 6 - Went to the airport and flew to Launceston, Tasmania. Got rental car and hit the visitor's center, then went to Cataract Gorge (nature park-type area). Drove onto Devonport and spent the night.

Day 7 - Got up and drove to Cradle Mountain. Spent about 3 hours hiking around Dove Lake at the base of the mountain (with the stroller). Drove on to Queenstown and spent the night.

Day 8 - Drove through the rest of the Cradle Mountain National Park and made it all the way down to Hobart. Visited the Salamanca Market (weekly street market). Got to see the Hobart Fire Brigade in action at a kitchen fire at an Indian restaurant. Drove onto Port Arthur and spent the night.

Day 9 - Went to the Port Arthur Historical Site (old penal colony) and took the tour and harbor cruise. Saw the last land before Antarctica. Drove back to Hobart and went to the top of Mt. Wellington (4,000+ feet). Spent the night in Hobart.

Day 10 - Flew back to Sydney. Hooked up with my friend Alan and did the "Fireman's Tour of Sydney". Went to the Museum of Fire in Penrith, then visited the Penrith Volunteer Rescue Squad (Alan's a member) and the Marsden Park Fire Brigade (Alan's a former operational member...now social). Stopped by his house and visited with his wife, then went to the HQ of the Rural Fire Service (right next to Olympic Stadium) and then HQ Station for the NSW Fire Brigades in Sydney. Had dinner with the both of them and the family.

Day 11 - Took the tour of the Opera House, went opal shopping, visited the Univ. of New South Wales, then back to Coogee Beach.

Day 12 - Back to the airport. Spent an hour and a half on the plane waiting for the passenger who checked their bags and then never got on the plane. Spent another 13 hours on the plane. Landed 4 hours before we took off. :blink: Had to wait for paramedics to come on for a passenger who started having some medical problem 2 hours into the flight (didn't hear a thing about it until we were in LA). Limo driver was waiting for MIA passenger until flight crew told him passenger was still Down Under. Went home, forced self to stay up 'til decent hour (8 PM) and went to bed after being awake for 37 hours straight.

So, that's the trip in a nutshell. I'm working on a website with pics (I took close to 900), but here's a couple of interest.

soh.jpg

The Gaylord clan at the Sydney Opera House

HFB_Fire2.jpg

Restaurant fire in Hobart, Tasmania

HFB_Pumper1.jpg

Hobart Fire Brigade Scania pumper

NSW_Ambo1.jpg

NSW Ambulance Service Mercedes Sprinter ambulances

PRS_Resc2_2.jpg

Penrith V.R.A. Rescue Squad Rescue 2

RFS_Cat1_1.jpg

NSW Rural Fire Service Category 1 tanker

NSW_ALP001_1.jpg

NSW Fire Brigades Scania/Bronto 37m (121 ft) aerial ladder platform

NSW_SP001_2.jpg

NSW Fire Brigades Varley Commander "Super Pumper 1"

NSW_SP001_Run2.jpg

Super Pumper 1 leaving on a call

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome back, we missed you!

I'd give you a hard time about the hundreds of emails piled up in the server's mail system because of 1) Verizon has an amazing mail filter, and 2) your mail bounces, but I wont :)

Instead I'll just wait for that huge graduation present you said you were going to send me for my graduation on friday :) :D ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcom back Scott... we were startijng to miss you. I'm glad you didn't let us down, adn took fire whacker pictures.

Jon

PS - Congrats, Matt.