Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

apm819

Forum Ride Along
I have taken the test twice failing both times. I feel like I know the material and I know that I am not a very good test taker. I have extreme test anxiety and I have studied and asked all the questions I know to ask. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any books or websites that are good to study?? Im the only one from my class that hasnt passed. I feel like a failure. :sad:

Thanks

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Xanax or Catapress before the test, I know of quite a few students who were horrible stressed out test takers that it works great for.

Guess i should say take some to see how you react to them before taking them on test day though, talk to your MD

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray970

Forum Ride Along
If you know the material then you can do it. I think that you are psychin yourself out. Mind over matter. It sounds silly but remember to breathe, relax, and you'll do fine.

codethree

Forum Crew Member
Read every question twice! I did not pass my first time because I was to confident. I redid the test and went way slower, then I passed. Think through the question . The test is not a race.

Nicole

Forum Ride Along
I hear the BRADY books are good to use.
I am currently enrolled in the EMT-B course and am so far very happy with the Brady books! The text book is very informative but easy to read and presents the material in a way that is quick and easy for me to take notes. The 12th edition of Emergency Care came with a study book, a workbook, a complete review, a booklet about BLS, an online access code (good for twelve months) for online test practice, and some other access code for onlinee which I assume is the version of the book online or something.

Anyway, I'm getting the information down fairly well right now. I'm sure that could change because it is still very early on in the course, and you yourself said you did well in the class but failed the NERMT itself. But so far I definitely am a fan of the Brady books...

I am going to study my butt off, though! I truly aspire to be an EMT. :)

clc343

Forum Ride Along
i feel your pain i have failed it to 2 times and i am freaking out i wont pass it again and idk what to do or study any more i am scared to take it one more time :(

Ally

Forum Probie
Ugh, hubby took it again today. Less then 80 questions, felt great - big ole' fail. I feel like his fail is my fail, I can't keep asking him practice questions and anatomy drills - I'm going to throw up. But, for the next 15 days we'll be working on more material and hopefully 3 is the charm....

HelloThere1994

Forum Ride Along
Having serious problems passing the test. 2nd time i failed. one more before a refresher course. what to do, i'm going to be a nervous wreck.

Refino827

Forum Probie
Purchase the JBLearning EMT Test Prep. Pay attention to your scores and then brush up on that stuff through a book or something. After I used JBLearning I found the EMT B test to be quite easy. You just need to eliminate the two non possible answers. Then I selected what was most logical.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Purchase the JBLearning EMT Test Prep. Pay attention to your scores and then brush up on that stuff through a book or something. After I used JBLearning I found the EMT B test to be quite easy. You just need to eliminate the two non possible answers. Then I selected what was most logical.
Would you say JB is harder/ easier than the NR? My whole class was based on JB, online workbook and tests created by JB. So, far my lowest grade has been an 84 (on medical- 150 question test). I've heard a few people say JB is harder than the registry, just would like another opinion :) haha

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Neither is "harder". The questions aren't difficult, they just expect you can think through a scenario and JB helps with that process. If you just want to memorize answers, beither JB Test prep or any other test prep, won't be any help on the NR.

Ally

Forum Probie
Did it show him what he passed and near passed it?
Yup and I'm embarrassed to say he did worst on the 2nd attempt then the 1st. :sad:

Retesting tomorrow :wacko:

Ally

Forum Probie
84 questions, and finally passed!! 3rd time was the charm :)

shackney07

Forum Ride Along
Florida

I live in Florida and recently graduated from an EMT-B program. I also didnt pass the first time for the written (Florida doesnt require practical). I used the Kaplan book and found it to be too easy as well, not to mention my NREMT test had questions that weren't even in our scope of practice such as insulin injections. I then consulted with my instructors from the program and found many tools to help me. There is a website called emtprep.com it has mutliple quizzes broken down by category like the NREMT letter gives you. It also has a practice NREMT Test. I then went to Barnes and Noble and bought the EMT Flip Guide which is published by the AAOS. Because I rented my textbook while in the program I didnt have a textbook to study from for the test and so I looked and they had changed the book. I bought the new textbook which is also published by AAOS. Hopefully with all these guides it will help pass the 2nd time! Good luck!

kaaatielove

Forum Crew Member
I live in Florida and recently graduated from an EMT-B program. I also didnt pass the first time for the written (Florida doesnt require practical). I used the Kaplan book and found it to be too easy as well, not to mention my NREMT test had questions that weren't even in our scope of practice such as insulin injections. I then consulted with my instructors from the program and found many tools to help me. There is a website called emtprep.com it has mutliple quizzes broken down by category like the NREMT letter gives you. It also has a practice NREMT Test. I then went to Barnes and Noble and bought the EMT Flip Guide which is published by the AAOS. Because I rented my textbook while in the program I didnt have a textbook to study from for the test and so I looked and they had changed the book. I bought the new textbook which is also published by AAOS. Hopefully with all these guides it will help pass the 2nd time! Good luck!

Im live in FL as well.. used Kaplan books to study & they were basically useless.. My NREMT had ALS based questions also containing medication administration Qs. Goodluck on your next attempt. Hope it goes well.

shackney07

Forum Ride Along
Thanks! You too! Yes Kaplan book was a waste of money. I dont know why ALS questions were on it if it was "out of our scope of practice". I thought that we were "non-invasive". It would have been one thing if the multiple choice gave you "none of the above" but there wasn't anything like that! Crazy! Good luck to you!