Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Not to derail this thread Rid, but when you get those notes organized I would be very interested in seeing them. I really appreciate the effort you are making for us.

I now return you to the regularly scheduled thread..^_^

Hastings

Noobie
You have a 55 year old male that was found with only response to very deep painful stimulus, no previous medical history. Vital signs are pulse 100 beats per minute, blood pressure 150/90 and respiratory rate 5 times a minute. What is the most appropriate treatment?

a. Establish LOC, obtain second set of vital signs, apply oxygen at 3 lpm per nasal cannula, monitor for aspiration and prepare the patient for rapid transport.

b. Administer 25gms of oral glucose, call for ALS, apply AED pads and evaluate rhythm. Apply oxygen at 10 lpm per mask. Monitor for aspiration.

c. Open and establish airway, assist ventilation with BVM attached to supplemental oxygen. Monitor airway for aspiration and notify for ALS rendezvous.

d. Establish LOC. Open and establish airway, apply a non-re-breather mask and oxygen at 15 lpm/100%, obtain information on patients medications, medical history and prepare the patient for rapid transport.

It's C, right?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes C. The respiratory rate is too low. Again one of the highest failed sections on the NREMT exams. Not being to identify ventilatory versus oxygenation. Just because one places an oxygen mask at 15 lpm does not mean it (the gas) will make it into the body. The person HAS to be breathing effectively.

R/r 911

emt83

Forum Probie
Nremt

What is your advice on EMT-B National Registry testing? I took it last May right out of school twice, I am planning on taking it a third soon. Any help or study material websites, books, flashcards I would appreciate it!!

Thanks

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
What is your advice on EMT-B National Registry testing? I took it last May right out of school twice, I am planning on taking it a third soon. Any help or study material websites, books, flashcards I would appreciate it!!

Thanks
This question keeps reoccuring. So I've gone ahead and merged some of the older threads that answer this question - and pinned the thread.

emt561

Forum Ride Along
hi. can u guys give me any advise about this books :EMT-b certification exam 2nd edition , emt-b review manual , kaplan emt -b exam and emt-b by MCGRAW-Hill . i have my test in almost 2 weeks and i have been doing those books tests and i just wanna make sure that i havent use the wrong books , i also have the brady book eighth edition , i just go out of the class 2 month ago ! ;)

lalaneedstopass

Forum Crew Member
hi. can u guys give me any advise about this books :EMT-b certification exam 2nd edition , emt-b review manual , kaplan emt -b exam and emt-b by MCGRAW-Hill . i have my test in almost 2 weeks and i have been doing those books tests and i just wanna make sure that i havent use the wrong books , i also have the brady book eighth edition , i just go out of the class 2 month ago ! ;)

All good books just ensure that the answers are actually correct. That's the big thing I've ran into for instance the multiple choice answer is A but it says B and explains A. Or the answers aren't updated. or your text book isn't updated. As in my most recent post I've ran into a few recurring questions that one answer seems to be right in one book but the answer is different in another. So just be sure all your answers are up to date so that you aren't studying and memorizing the wrong answers.

xoxokathryn

Forum Ride Along
Books...

Basically and books you can buy are going to help you. I bought the Sucess! as an EMT book as well as a couple other from Barnes and Noble and I passed NREMT in 68 questions! :)

Fredoman

Forum Probie
Yes, read the other several hundred posts that discuss this same question. Seriously, there is a wealth of information posted here and multiple EMS Forums that have some good points.

What it appears to me more & more is EMT instructors are using too easy test questions and not preparing students for the examination.

Good luck,
R/r 911

I would have to agree, I got an A in my recent class as well as passed all my practicals on the first try. got an A on the final too. I did not pass my registry on the first try but with more study passed the second time. Confidence in your knowledge goes a long way when the difficulty increases in the adaptive nature of the test. I recently told a former classmate to use the given break when you feel the pressure......

If you cant handle a National registry test with plenty of time, you may not be able to respond in a split second that determines not only your Pt safety but also yours.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow you got a break. I had to finish the test before I could so much as get up from my seat. Along with the fingerprint checks and audio and visual monitoring in the test area, with 360 degree view so everything is seen.

SauceyEMT

Forum Crew Member
NREMT...written only??

I'm a recently certified (10/08) Massachusetts EMT-B. I am interested in sitting for the NREMT exam. Will I need to take a practical also, or only the written exam being that my state practical was this past October? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As long as you have a recognized practical (such as the school or state) it will be okay. Technically, the NREMT does NOT have a practical itself but recognizes approved practicals. Contact them.

R/r 911

zaphod

Forum Ride Along
did i pass

i just checked my results and they came back as follows below....does this mean i passed the "written" portion?????//

Congratulations on successfully completing the cognitive portion of your EMS certification.

To obtain national registration, it is also necessary to successfully complete a psychomotor (practical) examination.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
i just checked my results and they came back as follows below....does this mean i passed the "written" portion?????//

Congratulations on successfully completing the cognitive portion of your EMS certification.

To obtain national registration, it is also necessary to successfully complete a psychomotor (practical) examination.
yes.............

emtfarva

Forum Captain
I'm a recently certified (10/08) Massachusetts EMT-B. I am interested in sitting for the NREMT exam. Will I need to take a practical also, or only the written exam being that my state practical was this past October? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks...
No, you should be able to go by passing your MA practical.

zaphod

Forum Ride Along
just checking

your sure? your serious? sorry for the doubt its just i didn't think i did and i was expecting a PASS or FAIL type message.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
your sure? your serious? sorry for the doubt its just i didn't think i did and i was expecting a PASS or FAIL type message.
yep that is what it said when i passed.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, it's terrible that they have all these college boys running the NR, using big college words like "successfully completed" just to confuse all the poor unsuspecting EMTs out there. How dare them.