Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Moderator Edited

Wow! That is a lot from someone who just started out on this forum. How about reading past posts?

Amazing, I point out some hot topic in EMS and all the kids can do is whine. I do something about EMS, do you? How many State and National EMS associations are you involved in? Do you have anything above the first level of EMS "training" or did you alike the most have not even finished the first level yet, somehow feel you have a right to tell us professionals that do this "how things are supposed to be"?

Really, how much involvement do you really do in EMS? Do you spend time on committees to change things or alike most on here a lot of talk and no action?

Let's put our money where our mouth is, shall we? Let's compare this week, schedule alone.
Sunday- 24 hr EMS Shift
Monday-12 hours FTO new recruit
Tues- 24 hr EMS
Wed.- State Capital lobbying for EMS Bills (State funding for EMS, rural, volunteer)
Thrs.- State EMS Educators Meeting to develop on-line education, and to review CBEMT exams
Fri- Teleconference on National Standards review..
Sat-24 hr EMS Shift

Not bragging by far, there are those that do much more..

Now, I ask; how much do you do for EMS?

So for those that "feel" that they are it and more in EMS because they took a simple 150 hour course, (in which my medical term class was longer than that) ..How much are you involved in the "system" and really how much experience do you bring to this business and even this forum?

R/r 911

cricketfire46

Forum Probie
Help Here Please People

Ok Guys and Gals
I just took the CBT for the 3rd time. the NREMT website is telling me that i failed, however, i know this is not true as i had questions that had answers that were so obvious that i couldn't miss them. I did not watch the proctor log into my name so i am not 100% positive that i took my test, and not someone else's test. There were 5 other people taking the test at the same time i was scheduled and I was the first one there. The problem is that i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that i passed. My scores are however are showing that i failed every sub scale. So my question i guess in all this mess is how do i fight this since i know there were video and audio records of the entire process. if i do fight it is there any chance that i can win this battle???

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Ok Guys and Gals
I just took the CBT for the 3rd time. the NREMT website is telling me that i failed, however, i know this is not true as i had questions that had answers that were so obvious that i couldn't miss them. I did not watch the proctor log into my name so i am not 100% positive that i took my test, and not someone else's test. There were 5 other people taking the test at the same time i was scheduled and I was the first one there. The problem is that i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that i passed. My scores are however are showing that i failed every sub scale. So my question i guess in all this mess is how do i fight this since i know there were video and audio records of the entire process. if i do fight it is there any chance that i can win this battle???

Bad news, you failed. The computer generates tests questions based upon how well you answered your last one. There are approximately at this time 3,000 questions for the Basic level exam that is on file, so each time you take the test.. it is your test and no one else's.

You should had noticed that you logged on with your name, I.D. etc? Those test answers are automatically tabulated (so the next question can be pulled based upon if answered correctly or incorrectly) then totalled of weight of the question, attempts, number of answered correctly.

As all NREMT events, you can protest to them by contacting them either by phone or e-mail at their web site : www.nremt.org but, I would not expect good news. The other suggestion, if you do not like computer type testing is the hand written one. It will costs an additional fee and takes a lot longer to find out the results.

I wish you the best of luck!

R/r 911

cricketfire46

Forum Probie
wait so youre telling me that i can still protest this and take a good ole fashioned written test after protesting this. oh please tell me you are not making this up. i really never can find the time to read all the rules on the NREMT website due to the call volume in my stations coverage area. so please tell me there is another way for me to get my RED PATCH

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If it is important, I would read all the rules, they will to you. You can protest, but I have not ever seen any changes in ruling of their test of the 30+ years, of students and adminstrating it. Escpecially with the new CBT method.

Don't know about a "red patch" since NREMT is red, white, blue and the Paramedic is blue & gold.. unless you must be from Texas..lol

Again, I wish you good luck, and I highly advise talking to them personally.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

cricketfire46

Forum Probie
thanks for all your help R/r 911 it is greatly appreciated. i will call the texas office and find out who to get in touch with in ohio regarding this matter. again thank you so much you've been a great help

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
I didn't say anything about your skill or your dedication or "how things are supposed to be"?. Reread my post slowly this time. Here I will summarize it for you. I pointed out your interpersonal relationship skills.

Its great that you are dedicated to the field and have done so much to help improve it for people who are entering it. I can personally say thank you for that. I am involved as much as I can be for now and hope for more later. I came to this forums as a new member of the EMS community to see what others have done, seen, advice, regrets, issues and anything else that may relate to me. I see a lot of good info here but then your attitude puts a big dent in everything. Is this what I have to look forward to, the more I get involved and learn, burnout and disgust with others in my own field?

Now maybe you need to take a step back and look at what this field has done for you. Your attitude and your people skills are horrendous. A lot of peoples online personas are just deep parts of their true self they don't let out in real life just online. Is how you type here the impression you give off when you are giving 24/7 to the EMS community? I really hope not and if it is not why do you see the need to blast people here who ask for advice. Before you post next time read your post and ask yourself "is this something I would say to someone if they were in front of me?"

Take this post as you wish but just remember just because I have a low post count here and haven't put all the fancy titles under my name doesn't mean I am just a snot nosed kid who doesn't know anything.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I will take that as constructive criticism and thank you. Sorry, if it came out rough, but so be it. I don't believe in sugar coating.. Ever wonder why this forum usually consists of students and less experienced personell? I do attempt to provide upfront and honest material. I had typed a more in-depth response, but most do not understand the business of professional medicine, so I'll stop

Good luck on your test.

R/r 911

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
Thanks, I passed on the first try. The test was different but if you just use your training it was cake.. Assesment, ABC's what answer fits them and comes first.

I have my NREMT now, my state card and in the next few weeks start more training on the BHS side. I have been in 2 fields over the past 20 years and now plan on entering my third. Where I go in this field I am not sure yet. I am doing EMT as a way to give back to the community, utilize my basic medical skills, learn new skills and see what direction a new career could take me. I look foreward to utilizing these boards to help me see more of the community and learn as much as I can.

PS I have read almost all the posts and your advice has been very stellar and consistent on all of your past posts. Just remember sugar does attract a lot more bees.... Then you can smash them all at once ;)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Congrat's on your test and cert. I realize sugar attracts, but unfortunately this is not a usually a sweet business, if one cannot handle it here on a forum, very doubtfully they will be to handle in the field. Believe it or not, I am actually usually seeked out because of my demeanor to students, and probies. As most have described, I take my profession very serious, not myself.

R/r 911.

DBieniek

Forum Crew Member
Woah there guys, you all need to quit jumping down rid's throat here.

As previously stated, if you can't take a little bit of bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: on a message board then how do you expect to take it from your co-workers and patients. Yes, that's right, you will have patients that say things that are 100 times more demeaning and ill-mannered than rid's comments.

Perhaps you should begin viewing his statements as constructive criticism instead of taking them all as personal attacks. Use them as motivation. Let them empower you.

The bottom line is that taking a basic EMT certification test ranks among the least difficult tasks that he performs on a weekly, if not daily, basis (by comparison of course). You cannot expect him to put nearly as much value on it as you do.

Think before you speak.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thanks Dave!.. As well, please let me caution anyone posting NREMT questions or even similar questions to the NREMT exam that could be considered as such. It is a copyrighted test and any matter of disclosure of questions can lead to penalties and consequences. Yes, they take it that serious...

Good luck on the test!

R/r 911

CPG

Forum Crew Member
Passed First Try

Brady books quite frankly suck.

I went out and got a test prep book.

Remember to read the questions all the way. I had several questions that all of the answers were correct, but only one was the MOST correct. Remember your protocols. ABC's before anything.

fenris911

Forum Ride Along
Damn, I just joined this forum, and already there is flaming. For myself, I'll take Ridryder911's advise on most things after looking at his profile, but I think us newbies need to post what we need to post. I have taken many IT cert tests with the adaptive system, and that is how they work. I would assume, being VUE, these EMT tests work the same.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
ok i have posted this in another one but i am a strong believer. get the Mosby's EMT-B book at Borders or Barnes and Noble and i Guarantee that you will pass the third try...if i am wrong then you can come over to my house and kick me in the face. it is the only book i have ever found when i was a basic that folloew the NREMT so closely.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
always keep in mind that there are 2 right answers to every question and you have to determine which one is more correct than the other. i would protest it though it seems like your confident in your knowledge.

EMT-B Girl

Forum Ride Along
Taking My NREMT Test Tomorrow Advice?

Hi everyone I just joined today. I am taking my NREMT test tomorrow and am sooo nervous I have been studying and using the book that asks 300 questions Its an EMT-B book. Any last minute advice you can offer me?

TNEMT06

Forum Probie
Read each question carefully because that test can be tricky. Pick the best answer. Don't give each queston a second thought because that could lead you to pick the wrong answer. The material in the test is pretty basic so if you've done well in class then you should do fine on the NREMT.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm taking it tomorrow as well. If it's anything like the Virginia state cert, the biggest thing you can do is relax. If you get stressed, you're likely to over-think questions and screw yourself. Take a breath, sit back, and take it one question at a time.

And if you're like me and taking it on the computer, don't worry if it ends what seems early or goes on what seems late. I have heard from people on this site as well as in real life who have done both and still passed. It's the luck of the draw of what questions you get.

I suggest giving your brain a rest tonight. Go out to eat with a friend, just relax, and get a good night's sleep. If you don't know it by now, cramming isn't likely to help, and is instead going to stress you and burn you out.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
yeah here is some, there are actually two right answer to each queston and 2 that are way off. your going to have to determine which one is the most right correct answer. yeah. don't stress study to NREMT prep books and you will pass just fine i guarantee it. just study and remeber those sheets that you get for medical and trauma and remeber their order. your safety is always #! followed by the patients.