Has anyone else seen this?

Tommerag

What day is it?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I thought there already was a slot. Insert round peg into larger slot...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
There but for Fortune go YOU or I!

You guys ever hear that one? You ever notice that people die all the time due to someone else's inattention, ignorance or out and out stupidity? NONE of us are immune from momentary lapses that lead to such tragedies.

I'm not saying Mom was the brightest bulb on the tree, but had you been on scene, heard the Mom's story, would you have added to her pain?

She did a very human thing in her attempts to compensate, yes it was dumb, in retrospect, but not malicious. And even if she had a "course" of some sort, that would be no guarantee of her (or ANYONE) being immune from momentary, stupid acts with the potential to harm life.

When we take on these responsibilities, we make ourselves super-vulnerable to be agents of such fatal lapses by a moment of blindness.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I'm going to have to agree with fire on this one. She made a mistake. A fatal mistake and will live with it the rest of her life. All parents make mistakes. Most of us are lucky not to kill our children with those mistakes. But we all make them. Every single one of us.

OP
OP
Tommerag

Tommerag

What day is it?
It also said that her mother had warned her several times about leaving her baby unattended in the bath before. I wouldnt really call that a momentary lapse in judgment if this was the first or even 2nd time she left the kid in the bath alone.

Soco_and_Lime

Forum Probie
The fact that she was on Facebook is immaterial. They're just using that to add to the shock factor. If she were reading some scholarly article it wouldn't be as sensational.

There's still no excuse for leaving your infant unattended in the bath.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I was visiting a zoo once, with a crowd of moms, and in the chatting and piles of kids, I lost track of my toddler. I didn't even know she was gone until I heard a woman shouting "LOST GIRL, PURPLE JACKET!"

I immediately realized what happened, ran, crying and shocked to get my kid, and grabbed her up, thanking the lady for her help.

She chastised me, right then in that moment, "Don't you know this is a big city? You HAVE to keep an eye on her!"

Like I meant to lose the kid! Like I'll ever do anything of the sort again! (I wear my babies now.)

Stupid happens, and I am so thankful that my baby wasn't lost forever that day, like this lady's. Stupid sucks.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
You guys ever hear that one? You ever notice that people die all the time due to someone else's inattention, ignorance or out and out stupidity? NONE of us are immune from momentary lapses that lead to such tragedies.

I'm not saying Mom was the brightest bulb on the tree, but had you been on scene, heard the Mom's story, would you have added to her pain?

She did a very human thing in her attempts to compensate, yes it was dumb, in retrospect, but not malicious. And even if she had a "course" of some sort, that would be no guarantee of her (or ANYONE) being immune from momentary, stupid acts with the potential to harm life.

When we take on these responsibilities, we make ourselves super-vulnerable to be agents of such fatal lapses by a moment of blindness.
At very least she should have her tubes tied.....

OP
OP
Tommerag

Tommerag

What day is it?
Soco I wasn't making it the point that she was on facebook. My point was that this wasn't the first time she had left her 13 month old in the bathtub alone. This had happened quite a few times apparently. According to her mother anyways. If that is indeed the case that just seems completely irresponsible to me. I wouldnt leave a 13 month old in the bathtub alone at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sassafras

Forum Captain
You would be surprised how many times parents over estimate the maturity level of their children. I'm quite certain sterilization is the last thing this woman needs. She just lost her baby and has no one to blame but herself. Let's not add insult to injury here. Secondly just because my mother tells me I shouldn't do something with my children doesn't mean I think she is right. This time grandma was right but we do not know the relationship between the two nor can we assume grandma always gave sage advice that should be followed.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm quite certain sterilization is the last thing this woman needs.

If she's got that crappy of judgment, she doesn't need to be producing any other children. If you do something stupid, kill someone while driving, they revoke your driving privileges. I don't see your ability to breed as being much different.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
If she's got that crappy of judgment, she doesn't need to be producing any other children. If you do something stupid, kill someone while driving, they revoke your driving privileges. I don't see your ability to breed as being much different.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't revoke your licsense forever from my understanding. A long time perhaps but forever not that I'm aware of. Repeated offenses, refusing to learn from mistakes I could possibly consider this point of view but my body is not the property of anyone's to alter without my permission. Even if I made a fatal mistake.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't revoke your licsense forever from my understanding.

Depends on how bad you screw up. I'm pretty sure the IMPD officer who was drunk and ran over some motorcyclists in his patrol car while responding Code 3 didn't have any prior offenses, but I'm betting he will get his license suspended for life in addition to a long prison sentence that he's not likely to survive given that the local bike gangs are pretty pissed even though he hit three RUBs.

consider this point of view but my body is not the property of anyone's to alter without my permission. Even if I made a fatal mistake.

I'm just as supportive of the idea of just executing her or letting her rot in prison for life. I think it's far better to just sterilize her and let her get the chance to try to learn from her collosal mistake while being a productive (but not reproductive) member of society.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Well at least you're honest lol. I'm not a fan of equal punishments for mistakes and intentional acts of violence as tragic as the loss of a child's life is. I tend to look at intent before passing judgement and know we all have the potential to kill from stupidity at some point in our lives.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not a fan of equal punishments for mistakes and intentional acts

Intentionally walking away from a child knowing (or at least in a position where you should know) they are at a very high risk of harm is depraved indifference so far as I am concerned. I don't view this as a "mistake".

know we all have the potential to kill from stupidity at some point in our lives.

Yes, which is why most of us take precautions against it. When you fail to do so, that's when you deserve to be punished.