HALL AMBULANCE

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
So Currently getting through Nursing School and I am wondering how the nurses at Hall work?
Any info would be helpful.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Is that for ground CCT also or are the only crews who do ground CCT also flight crews?
The CCT division is one collection "unit". Ground and air are both in the same operation, and as such both are CAMTS accredited.

It is a general requirement for CCT nurses to have several years if ER or ICU experience, even if they aren't a CAMTS agency

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Is that for ground CCT also or are the only crews who do ground CCT also flight crews?
It’s for our ground division only. Our FT flight teams are full, but typically when an opening becomes available they promote from our ground CCT staff.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It is a general requirement for CCT nurses to have several years if ER or ICU experience, even if they aren't a CAMTS agency
“Several years”, sure, but CAMTS literally requires a 3 year minimum for the level of staffing that we meet under their guidelines. It’s all levels that they require for accreditation though.

Yes, I’ve actually read through their policy manual (inserts yawn here).

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
“Several years”, sure, but CAMTS literally requires a 3 year minimum for the level of staffing that we meet under their guidelines. It’s all levels that they require for accreditation though.

Yes, I’ve actually read through their policy manual (inserts yawn here).
I'm aware. But as Hall is one of the few CAMTS accredited agencies in California, I thought it'd be worth mentioning that the job requirement is still seen in most places.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I’ll add this: what most of the nurses we hire struggle with isn’t the IFT/ CCT aspects of the job, it’s running 911 calls alongside of the paramedic and EMT. It’s simply a new environment for them at a different pace.

The ground CCT unit is every bit a part of our 911 system as any other ambulance. Dots on a screen, right? The nurse and paramedic typically work through the calls while the EMT does mostly driving. This may vary with each crew.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Is the paramedic salary at Hall a livable one?
Yes. If you know how to live with the means of a reasonable wage. You can live comfortably at Hall.

Also, there is usually plenty of overtime. As a brand new medic I was making about $70k with overtime. Base is just above 40k.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Yes. If you know how to live with the means of a reasonable wage. You can live comfortably at Hall.

Also, there is usually plenty of overtime. As a brand new medic I was making about $70k with overtime. Base is just above 40k.

What kind of take-home is that in CA, and what kind of OT are we talking here?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
What kind of take-home is that in CA, and what kind of OT are we talking here?
Take home, I can't quite recall. About $1400-1600. It was quite a bit of OT, but the way our 48 schedule was built it allowed for an extra week of work every month. But I also took the opportunity to take a vacation every other month or so. Nothing crazy but nice camping trip.

Edit: I should add that I claim 0 and am heavily taxed because I have untaxed self-employed income as well.

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Since I’ve been here they’ve given us plenty of COLA’s. I’m right around where @NPO said he left off at with the OT he would work, but without having to work tons of overtime myself.

I’m able to live comfortably, take bi-annual trips with the family to Disneyland for 2-3 days at a time, own a home, etc. I don’t work excessively, but if I wanted to I could.

As far as the abundance of OT, for paramedics it’s pretty much available 7 days a week in anyone of our coverage areas. The last time I can remember there being a stall in paramedic OT was well over 7 years ago. That said, again you can do pretty good without having to rely on overtime as a consistent source if income.

They’re also still paying double-time for any shift worked from after 1 pm on Friday through Sunday.

Reactions: NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Not bad for new medics... I received a call back requesting an interview so I’m going up there next week...
@ventmonkey has quite a few years of clinical experience on me, and has some extra hats that he wears, even if he hates one of them lol. He brings a lot to the table.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@ventmonkey has quite a few years of clinical experience on me, and has some extra hats that he wears, even if he hates one of them lol.
Lol, I haven’t worn that hat since probably right around the time that you resigned; I resigned. That said, I tease our favorite (shared) supe about it every single chance i get.

RocketMedic

I'd look into CA once you get ketamine, I suppose. Kern County is kind of Texas. Sort of. I dunno.

I want to be a steak and vacation tester.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd look into CA once you get ketamine, I suppose. Kern County is kind of Texas. Sort of. I dunno.

I want to be a steak and vacation tester.
Come back near the end of the year. Ketamine and TXA are on the horizon for California.

RocketMedic

Well I'll be done with my Master's by then. I wonder what a masters, 2 bachelors, an associates, etc could do.