Hair Colors

mollyz33

Forum Ride Along
Im not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, I am still very new to this site, I am a bit expressive with my hair colors. Currently it is a natural color however I've dyed it colors in the past, how accepted is this? Is it similar to the tattoo situation or a different protocol?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably not going to fly. Depends where you work though. My department allows tattoos, but no unnatural hair colors.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
depends on your agency. my agency just passed a uniform policy, which clearly says no unnatural hair colors

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Pretty sure even at my very liberal agency someone having pink or blue (or similar) hair would not be appropriate.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I worked at one place that allowed unnatural color streaks, but it's probable that the creep of a boss (who was later fired for sexual harassment), let it slide as he was constantly hitting on the medic in question.

So in a word, not likely.

Jim 2436

Forum Ride Along
I think if your hair is neat and well kept, pull backed for duty, it should be ok. It wouldn't be the best idea to go for a job interview with blue hair . I have tattoos and they seem to be the norm in my area. As long as we wear our uniform and look professional . I honestly think someone that has a different look should be welcome in the service . We deal with a lot of mixed cultures and some people may feel you may be a open minded person and they would feel more comfortable around you and be more willing to answer those hard to ask questions. On the flip side an older patient may feel quiet the opposite.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Tattoos can be covered, unnatural hair colors cannot.

Before people freak out about how I don't understand tattoos I have quite a lot of tattoos.