Gun on scene ? / n00b student question

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
So I am reading my book tonight, being the good student I am ^_^, and it talks about taking a person from a crime scene. They say to take notes and sketches about body placement (thank god for camera phones) and notes about any weapons on scene. BUT, it doesn't say what to do with the weapon(s).

So here is my scenario. You get called out to a shooting. Innocent by standard hit in cross fire we will say. When you get on scene you notice a pistol which we will assume is loaded. Patient needs to go to the hospital and your ready to roll. Police are yet to arrive. What do you do with the pistol ?

In my logic I am torn about what to do (I have class tomorrow and will ask about it), but on one hand I think "don't touch, its part of a crime scene." But on the other hand, I can't leave a loaded pistol in the open for a kid or other criminal to find. I know each area has different SOP's so whats yours? or if your not sure, what would you do ?

sorry if this is a repost, i looked around but couldn't find anything about this. ill be sure to update with teacher's response.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
In the real world, the scenario you pose is not likely to happen. I, for one, will NOT enter a scene until I know it has been secured by Law Enforcement... at least for me to be able to safely enter and function. If there's a shooting... there's going to be at least one shooter...

In the extremely unlikely event that your scenario unfolds that way and there is no Law Enforcement anywhere nearby, I would have to find a way to document the placement of the weapon as best as I can, take it into custody and make it safe, advising LE of this point. Yes, that item is part of the crime scene, however, without that scene already being secured by Law Enforcement, the weapon is a continuing hazard to the community if left behind.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So here is my scenario. You get called out to a shooting. Innocent by standard hit in cross fire we will say. When you get on scene you notice a pistol which we will assume is loaded. Patient needs to go to the hospital and your ready to roll. Police are yet to arrive. What do you do with the pistol ?

More important question. Why are you on scene without police?

In the extremely unlikely event that your scenario unfolds that way and there is no Law Enforcement anywhere nearby, I would have to find a way to document the placement of the weapon as best as I can, take it into custody and make it safe, advising LE of this point. Yes, that item is part of the crime scene, however, without that scene already being secured by Law Enforcement, the weapon is a continuing hazard to the community if left behind.

The big assumption there is that who ever is on scene (and, from the sounds of it, you are) is familiar with fire arms enough to make a fire arm safe. I'm willing to bet that a lot of EMS providers won't know that a semi-auto may be loaded without a clip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Agree with those above. The math is simple:

Dispatched to a shooting... Gun on scene... LEOs not on scene... Where am I? Oh, ya... NOT ON SCENE! -_-

EMS and Fire does not (or should not) enter a crime scene until it is secured by LE... secured includes securing all weapons... There is no set of cirrcumstances for someone working Ambo or Fire in which they should be put in a situation that you describe. If you find yourself in a situation where there are weapons present at a crime scene that is not secured by LEOs... BACK OUT...

mct601

RN/NRP
You don't enter a crime scene without LE giving you the go-ahead first. When entering a crime scene, you DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING that is not relevant to patient care. Do not disturb the scene. In your scenario, A) you wouldn't enter without it being secured by LEOs (the gun would be a part of that), B) you wouldn't touch the gun because it is evidence. want your finger prints on the weapon?

Thats my take on it, thats what we went over last week in pretty good detail. Our instructors went over the weapon related subject in pretty good depth.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
More important question. Why are you on scene without police?

The big assumption there is that who ever is on scene (and, from the sounds of it, you are) is familiar with fire arms enough to make a fire arm safe. I'm willing to bet that a lot of EMS providers won't know that a semi-auto may be loaded without a magazine.
(clips are for hair and charging magazines...)
I happen to be quite familiar with firearms... and outside some specific instances, semi-autos use magazines... ;) I have a healthy respect for firearms... including a rule that there's ALWAYS one in the pipe... until I check that it's clear. Even if I just saw YOU check that it's clear.

However, I've already outlined my response to the whole thing. I will stage and wait for LE to secure the scene. I don't care if it takes 45 minutes or an hour or longer. If the scene is not safe, I'm not going to go in there. I'm not going to be the next shooting victim.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I happen to be quite familiar with firearms... and outside some specific instances, semi-autos use magazines... ;) I have a healthy respect for firearms... including a rule that there's ALWAYS one in the pipe... until I check that it's clear. Even if I just saw YOU check that it's clear.

My bad... ;)

...and yes. There are very few gun accidents since most gun incidents involves a violation of at least one of the very few rules for safe gun handling. The only time a fire arm is ever unloaded is after I checked it myself. As soon as that firearm leaves my control, it becomes loaded again.

OP
OP
M

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
I know the scenario isn't the most realistic. but it was something brought up in the text book, taking a patient from a crime scene before LEOs got there. just wondering what some people more experienced than myself thought about it. I know odds are it would be cleared by the time you got there, and that you shouldn't enter till its safe... but i just wondered considering it's in the book.

mct601

RN/NRP

However, I've already outlined my response to the whole thing. I will stage and wait for LE to secure the scene. I don't care if it takes 45 minutes or an hour or longer. If the scene is not safe, I'm not going to go in there. I'm not going to be the next shooting victim.

Haha, nice catch, I didn't even notice. I love firearms, they're a hobby (when I can afford to feed them :( )

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Haha, nice catch, I didn't even notice. I love firearms, they're a hobby (when I can afford to feed them :( )
Maybe you need more coffee... ;) Understood about the rest.

To the OP: your book probably put it in there just to cover the unlikely "what if" situation. The reality is, your safety is more important than the patient's... because you can't do anyone any good if you're dead or incapacitated...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You're more likely to run across a firearm that someone is carrying, either legally or not, when you're doing a head to toe from someting like an MVC. I've been in that position, no LE on scene (very rural area, PD were about a half mile away in either direction blocking the road). My response was just to drop the mag, lock the slide back (and grab that round that was ejected), and then put everything into a biohazard bag that I gave to PD when they met us at the hospital to get the pt's info.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I never even thought about coming across a firearm during an assessment... interesting.

I've done it more than once, both openly carried and concealed. The OC people usually are spotted quickly and PD keeps it for them. the CCers are the ones you most likely will find it on them before anyone else does.

That's the reason my ICE in my iTouch states that I'm carrying a firearm, so no one is suprised if they read that first.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You're more likely to run across a firearm that someone is carrying, either legally or not, when you're doing a head to toe from someting like an MVC. I've been in that position, no LE on scene (very rural area, PD were about a half mile away in either direction blocking the road). My response was just to drop the mag, lock the slide back (and grab that round that was ejected), and then put everything into a biohazard bag that I gave to PD when they met us at the hospital to get the pt's info.
This happens much more often than finding one on-scene...

It would behoove the medic to at least take a firearms familiarization course... just for this instance.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
hmmmm....

little too quick on the trigger... ;)

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
One of the instructors who participates in our drills as a patient occasionally likes to mix things up a little by bringing a red gun. He'll either pretend to be lawfully carrying or a criminal. Can't count the number of times new people have responded to finding it or having him point it at them with "but you can't do that!" Yes, he can. We encourage drill patients to do anything that a real patient might do, as long as it can be safely imitated...

I don't think we have any specific protocols for guns. If it's a dangerous patient, we're going to stage elsewhere until the scene is secure. I've never yet been the first to find a concealed gun, though it wouldn't surprise me too much.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
So I am reading my book tonight, being the good student I am ^_^, and it talks about taking a person from a crime scene. They say to take notes and sketches about body placement (thank god for camera phones) and notes about any weapons on scene. BUT, it doesn't say what to do with the weapon(s).

In my logic I am torn about what to do (I have class tomorrow and will ask about it), but on one hand I think "don't touch, its part of a crime scene." But on the other hand, I can't leave a loaded pistol in the open for a kid or other criminal to find. I know each area has different SOP's so whats yours? or if your not sure, what would you do ?

sorry if this is a repost, i looked around but couldn't find anything about this. ill be sure to update with teacher's response.

You immediately leave the scene. First off, dispatch should make you stage and wait until the PD get there. YOU NEVER ENTER AN UNSAFE SCENE. The PD need to clear it first, no matter how injured the patient is. If they die, they die. Your safety and the safety of your crew is the most important thing to remember and it always comes first. You are of no help if you become part of the emergency.

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant

anybody care to comment on this thought:

what if you are dispatched for something other than a shooting, and arrive to find a shooting with weapon on scene. I ask because it has happened to me, thankfully pd arrived only a couple minutes after i called for them. we were sent for a leg pain, turned out it was leg pain, because the leg had a bullet through it with arterial bleeding. yes our dispatchers are terrible, they once sent me in for a "17 y/o female choking" I thought choking on food, really it was a 17 y/o female being choked by her stepdad and we walked into a violent domestic. (the girl ran out of the house when dad looked at us, and we got back in the truck and left to wait on a leo to arrive. dispatch has been revamped since thank goodness

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
This happens much more often than finding one on-scene...

It would behoove the medic to at least take a firearms familiarization course... just for this instance.

To unload it, you just keep pulling the trigger until there are no more rounds left, right? ^_^

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You immediately leave the scene. First off, dispatch should make you stage and wait until the PD get there. YOU NEVER ENTER AN UNSAFE SCENE. The PD need to clear it first, no matter how injured the patient is. If they die, they die. Your safety and the safety of your crew is the most important thing to remember and it always comes first. You are of no help if you become part of the emergency.

That is a nice thought, and should be enforced but in the real world things happen daily and one needs to know how to handle when they are confronted with the norm. As described one should have knowledge of how to safely handle weapons and disarm them to be handled and secured properly.

R/r 911