Gotta Love 18 year olds....

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Males in their 30s usually fall into the role of "the provider."

As they have children, the female is usually the primary caregiver for them and as such has her affection needs filled largely by them.

As a compensatory mechanism for the decrease in being the object of affection, the males usually resort to insulative compensatory mechanisms like seeing their value as their position in their profession or society.

In most societies, the male is raised in a military type of environment. The lack of personal connection causes insulation usually in a pseudosoldier type mentality.

Which face it, if your personal value is a reflection of your social or professional postion, who would want to see themselves as the private over the General?

Hey, good post.

Sociology is awesome.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Thanks.

That was my observation. :)

As I "grow up," I find that the more I try to understand how the brains in the guys I work with function, the more I can get them to do what I want. :D

Veneficus

Forum Chief
As I "grow up," I find that the more I try to understand how the brains in the guys I work with function, the more I can get them to do what I want. :D

I think it is interesting that so much time in healthcare is spent on developing psychology and the later periods or major life changes are either not mentioned or glazed over entirely.

For me, I look for the biological basis more than the psych or social, but my friends who do psych and sociology have noticed considerable overlap.

AndyK

Forum Crew Member

You're gonna have to make a decision on that whole growing up and being a paramedic thing... you can't do both! B)

Anjel

Forum Angel
I think it is interesting that so much time in healthcare is spent on developing psychology and the later periods or major life changes are either not mentioned or glazed over entirely.

For me, I look for the biological basis more than the psych or social, but my friends who do psych and sociology have noticed considerable overlap.

Does your head ever hurt? From having such a huge brain? lol

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

One of my favorite textbooks is Biological Psychology: An Introduction to Behavioral, Cognitive, and Clinical Neuroscience by Breedlove, et al.

61S-l0GfPpL.jpg

I was gonna take Biological Psychology in college after I completed my Abnormal Psychology course, but I ended up taking Structure and Function of the Cerebral Cortex instead. Still, it didn't stop me from buying the textbook.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Looks like a great read, pricey though. Worth the money for medic students?

Not really. The focus of this book is on biological mechanisms responsible for everything from consciousness to the mechanisms of the amygdala that facilitate fear and the underlying biochemical processes responsible for these various interactions and systems as they relate to the various neurotransmitters and their functions.

A medic student would be better served purchasing a textbook on cardiology, anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, or patient assessment as opposed to bio psych. The brain just happens to be my particular emphasis in medicine (TBI and Neuro Crit Care), o I love learning everything I can about it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Does your head ever hurt? From having such a huge brain? lol

No, when it comes to brains, it is the connections, not the size that matters :)

It is hard to get a good night's rest though.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
You know, I must be doing something wrong.

I get F*** YOU, YOU F*** after telling 18 year olds (and most recently, 14 year olds) that they have to sit in a specific chair in the front of the room.

Maybe I should start saying they should be glad I dont have a needle in my hand!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
You know, I must be doing something wrong.

I get F*** YOU, YOU F*** after telling 18 year olds (and most recently, 14 year olds) that they have to sit in a specific chair in the front of the room.

Maybe I should start saying they should be glad I dont have a needle in my hand!

I found a particularly mean approach to teaching, and a way to have fun with it. I found that the best way to deal with the issue of individuals making less than 50% on a test is to write the following note on the top of their test:

"See me after class"

When they say, "Did you want to see me?"

Say "No, I just wanted to make sure you could read after a performance like that."

---
Find a creative way to deal with the chair situation, have a little fun.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
I found a particularly mean approach to teaching, and a way to have fun with it. I found that the best way to deal with the issue of individuals making less than 50% on a test is to write the following note on the top of their test:

"See me after class"

When they say, "Did you want to see me?"

Say "No, I just wanted to make sure you could read after a performance like that."

---
Find a creative way to deal with the chair situation, have a little fun.

I keep a bucket of cold water under my desk. Room temp water feels pretty darn cold. Settles them right down.