Gotta Love 18 year olds....

GoingLoud

Forum Crew Member
"we need to start an IV."

"**** You!!"

"but you were in a serious MVA and your shoulder is dislocated, we would like to give you pain medication."

"**** YOU! don't come near me with that needle or i will scream! i want my MOM!"

"It needs to be done for the hospital"

"**** you you *****!"

in the end we just transported....

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief

"**** You!!"

"but you were in a serious MVA and your shoulder is dislocated, we would like to give you pain medication."

"**** YOU! don't come near me with that needle or i will scream! i want my MOM!"

"**** you you *****!"

I'm 18. What's your point?

Let's not make the general assumption that all of them are immature and jerks. It's more the nature of the event. Wouldn't you be freaked out if you were in a wreck. You could say the same thing about ant age group in this scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
18 yos I'm usually able to talk down off of that cliff. I have better lines than "it needs to be done for the hospital."

My biggest trouble demographic is men in their 30s. Those are the only ones who really don't seem to listen to me.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I've noticed 18 year old males tend to be very stoic when the medic doing the IV is an attractive female lol I did have a 35 year old 350 pound giant of a guy go into near hysterics once over a medic trying to get a line started though.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

"**** You!!"

"**** you you *****!"

Except for the "I want my mom" part—and sometimes, even including that—this could very easily be an 80 y/o woman, too.

The best cursing and use of foul language I've ever heard has come from oldsters. Youngsters think they know how to use that kind of language but they don't know :censored::censored::censored::censored: compared to some of the old people I've encountered.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I love 18 year old girls!

Oh... different needle.

If you are comparable for a needle you're not going to be getting any 18yos.

Try a little more then "This has to be done for the hospital". That's a crap cop out line.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Except for the "I want my mom" part—and sometimes, even including that—this could very easily be an 80 y/o woman, too.

The best cursing and use of foul language I've ever heard has come from oldsters. Youngsters think they know how to use that kind of language but they don't know :censored::censored::censored::censored: compared to some of the old people I've encountered.

"I want my mom" CAN be an 80y/o demented patient. Trust me. My partner was the patient's doctor and I was the patient's mother. Good times.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
"I want my mom" CAN be an 80y/o demented patient. Trust me. My partner was the patient's doctor and I was the patient's mother. Good times.

Yes...that's why I included the "and sometimes, even including that" note. ;)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

At least she's got dementia to fall back on as an excuse.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
18 yos I'm usually able to talk down off of that cliff. I have better lines than "it needs to be done for the hospital."

My biggest trouble demographic is men in their 30s. Those are the only ones who really don't seem to listen to me.

I didn't hear a word you said.

Sasha

Forum Chief

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Usually "I need this to give you pain medicine if you need it later" does the trick for me.

If they refuse the IV, IN is the bees knees though. Everyone had the right to self determination.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I dunno about the mid thirties crowd, but being a early-mid twenties male, I fully admit we are stubborn and completely stupid when it comes to listening to advice.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I dunno about the mid thirties crowd, but being a early-mid twenties male, I fully admit we are stubborn and completely stupid when it comes to listening to advice.

Uh, doesn't that apply to all males?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Veneficus

Forum Chief
behavioral standpoint

Uh, doesn't that apply to all males?

Males in their 30s usually fall into the role of "the provider."

As they have children, the female is usually the primary caregiver for them and as such has her affection needs filled largely by them.

As a compensatory mechanism for the decrease in being the object of affection, the males usually resort to insulative compensatory mechanisms like seeing their value as their position in their profession or society.

In most societies, the male is raised in a military type of environment. The lack of personal connection causes insulation usually in a pseudosoldier type mentality.

Which face it, if your personal value is a reflection of your social or professional postion, who would want to see themselves as the private over the General?