Got kicked out of paramedic school for disability, is this a sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Is this yet another sign that reaffirms EMS is not a career for me?

I passed all my didactic training and my finals. But I was having some issues on my clinical sites due to my anxiety and Aspergers, and I was dismissed from the program. The irony is that I have been an AEMT for over 2 years at various locations.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Maybe. Do some self reflection and think honestly about it. You do seem to keep having a bad time.

I've known basics that have gone to medic school and couldn't hack it. One guy made it through all of didactic only to have the program refuse to let him go to field 'cause they were afraid he'd kill someone. I felt that was unfair, until I heard his first choice of "What med do you give for asystole?" during mega code scenario was glucagon.

Sure, both jobs are on the ambulance, but being a medic isn't for everyone.

I wouldn't say you were kicked out for your disability. If your disability is preventing you from performing the functions of the job, that's on you. You'll need to sit down and honestly figure out if it's something you can work through or not. Again, self reflection.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
for over 2 years at various locations.

Are you still at any of these various places? If not, why not?
How many is "various"?
As an employer, when people have "various" places of employment in a short period of time, it is usually a strong indicator that there is something to be concerned about.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Are you still at any of these various places? If not, why not?
How many is "various"?
As an employer, when people have "various" places of employment in a short period of time, it is usually a strong indicator that there is something to be concerned about.

I think my biggest problem is interaction with co-workers, not patient care. My social skills lack in some ways.

In terms of patient care and skills, I am decent. I am not perfect. Yes, I can still learn a lot as I am still somewhat green. But I am not any different than any other guy who has worked in EMS for two years.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You quoted me, yet did not answer. You asked for feedback, I need more info to craft possible thoughts for your consideration.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Maybe. Do some self reflection and think honestly about it. You do seem to keep having a bad time.

I've known basics that have gone to medic school and couldn't hack it. One guy made it through all of didactic only to have the program refuse to let him go to field 'cause they were afraid he'd kill someone. I felt that was unfair, until I heard his first choice of "What med do you give for asystole?" during mega code scenario was glucagon.

Sure, both jobs are on the ambulance, but being a medic isn't for everyone.

I wouldn't say you were kicked out for your disability. If your disability is preventing you from performing the functions of the job, that's on you. You'll need to sit down and honestly figure out if it's something you can work through or not. Again, self reflection.

I was good with skills. There was a time during my break I had to step away a little longer to regroup.

My anxiety came from being in an environment not knowing the people I worked with. I was not even from there. I felt paranoid that they did not like me.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Whatever happened to this....

I want to be a FULL STACK web developer. I can work from home and have the freedom to travel anywhere and whenever I want.

Go after it! The money is better. As you stated, freedom of travel. You're at the perfect point to make the change!

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
On day one of class when they ask if you have any disabilities that you need accommodation for, did you bring up your Aspergers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
On day one of class when they ask if you have any disabilities that you need accommodation for, did you bring up your Aspergers?

No, becauas I felt at the time it was not going to hinder me. It doesn't when I bring it up. Discrimination IS discrimination.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
No, becauas I felt at the time it was not going to hinder me. It doesn't when I bring it up. Discrimination IS discrimination.
But if they don't know you have Asperger's, how are you being discriminated?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

It sounds like you've concluded your dismissal was a matter of discrimination, not performance. Was there anything that happened in class that made you feel you were being discriminated against? Are you still open to the possibility that, while unfortunate and unfair, your Asperger's prevents you from being an effective paramedic?

Many years ago, I wanted to be a professional hockey player. I had some success, but in the end, I just wasn't good enough. I had to do other things to earn a living. None of them were as much fun as hockey.

I don't know anything about dealing with Asperger's, but I'm guessing you've overcome many more challenges than I did as a young man. Maybe moving toward a different career is just another challenge you can meet.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
@LifeOfAMedicStudent

So you've created a thread about having multiple misdemeanor convictions and that the judge has alerted the EMS board.
https://emtlife.com/threads/my-aemt-license-is-under-investigation-for-misdermeanors.45544/

You admit to having "severe mental illness" and " been hospitalized for it numerous times since adolescence."
https://emtlife.com/threads/severe-mental-illness-and-working-in-ems.45474/

And you admit to problems interacting sociably and problems with co-workers.
I often get paranoid about losing my jobs and fear I will co workers against me. I feel everyone can pick up on it. My demeanor is sometimes shy and anxious and feel others can see I am a weak link.

Now you've been kicked out medic school and you're wondering, "is this a sign?"

ALL OF THESE ARE SIGNS!

So again I ask, what about developing software?
I want to be a FULL STACK web developer. I can work from home and have the freedom to travel anywhere and whenever I want.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The entire point of them asking of front is to prepare and anticipate. What do you expect them to do? For all they know at the time, you're just lazy and making an excuse.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
@LifeOfAMedicStudent

So you've created a thread about having multiple misdemeanor convictions and that the judge has alerted the EMS board.
https://emtlife.com/threads/my-aemt-license-is-under-investigation-for-misdermeanors.45544/

You admit to having "severe mental illness" and " been hospitalized for it numerous times since adolescence."
https://emtlife.com/threads/severe-mental-illness-and-working-in-ems.45474/

And you admit to problems interacting sociably and problems with co-workers.

Now you've been kicked out medic school and you're wondering, "is this a sign?"

ALL OF THESE ARE SIGNS!

So again I ask, what about developing software?

Yes, web dev and software dev sounds good about now.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
So, I want to salvage this, in case any lurking would-be paramedics are out there.

Anxiety to the point of being declared a disability isn't something I am intimately familiar with, but disabilities can be overcome. Every one of us has worries and anxieties. Did I make the right decision on a call? Did I make things worse for my patient? Is my job at risk if I make a decision that pushes the limits of the company, the culture or the protocols? Did I work enough hours this month to pay all of my bills? (and that's just the tip of the Concerns Iceberg). The world will not adapt to accommodate your whims and wishes, so if you want to function in emergency services in any capacity, you need to realize this and adapt to the world. No one cares if you are anxious, a social outcast, race/religion/orientation/creed/gender/origin/age/veteran/whatever, depressed or whatever when it is time to work. Not your patients, not their families, not your coworkers or employers or anyone else. This is reality, and your emotions and personality need to be adapted to function in reality. If you can't do that, emergency medical services is not right for you. That is not to say that you cannot be successful, welcome or anything else in EMS- plenty of us do work with these conditions, and we adapt to function with them. But @LifeOfAMedicStudent's approach and perception as he has crafted it is not something that you want to emulate and be successful in anything. So don't do that. Perception is reality, and you craft how you are perceived.

Now, Asperger's, that I am familiar with. I have Asperger's, a moderate case. In my case, it causes moderate social anxiety and causes difficulty in picking up social cues. It has gotten better as I have aged, but it is still a challenge at times. Things like dating, making friends, etc were harder for me than many others, and I still have a very small network of real friends and a wider network I keep at arm's length as acquaintances. Some people claim that Asperger's is a disability. It is not. Asperger's is something that you can make up your mind to function around professionally. There is nothing saying that you need to be friends, that you need to hook up or goof off with or do anything other than work professionally with your coworkers. Some might call this boring, authoritarian and conformist, but having anxiety or Asperger's in the workplace is as easy as saying "I am going to show up, be a professional, and do what is expected of me to the best of my ability, without unnecessary distractions and without creating trouble or drama for anyone else." That dry, calm senior paramedic everyone looks at as the Rock of the Marne? They might be the most anxious person in the room, but they have decided that they are going to be perceived as a cool head. That young, smart hotshot who always has a smile on and is friendly, sociable and polite to everyone might be the definition of Asperger's. Once again, it is how we have constructed our personas, not who we actually are underneath.

One last thought- as an industry, we interact a lot with populations who have real or imagined disabilities and receive money and benefits for those disabilities from local, state and federal sources. Without casting judgement on anyone, stepping into a field dominated by hard-working, independent-minded, earned-this-by-the-sweat-of-my-brow-and-long-nights-of-studying assertive personalities who literally make their livings placing themselves in risky, adrenaline-soaked hard circumstances with lives sometimes on the line and declaring that they and the world they work in needs to change to accommodate vaguely-defined "anxieties", excuse inappropriate behavior and bad choices, and justify special treatment is not going to be terribly successful. If one chooses to allow their 'disability' to define them as disabled, then they need to realize that the real world is not a college campus, a social-justice what-if or even fair and that one of the consequences of allowing an invisible disability to define you is being affected by that definition.

Rocket out.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
...so if you want to function in emergency services in any capacity, you need to realize this and adapt to the world. No one cares if you are anxious, a social outcast, race/religion/orientation/creed/gender/origin/age/veteran/whatever, depressed or whatever when it is time to work. Not your patients, not their families, not your coworkers or employers or anyone else. This is reality..

Why such a horrible, nasty attitude?

If this bloke has a genuine disability, isn't he afforded legal protections against unjust discrimination by EEO or human rights legislation?

Sounds a bit dodge mate, I'd definitely look into that.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Why such a horrible, nasty attitude?

If this bloke has a genuine disability, isn't he afforded legal protections against unjust discrimination by EEO or human rights legislation?

Sounds a bit dodge mate, I'd definitely look into that.
The problem is he did not disclose his disability till it became a problem. As an instructor you have to wonder if its a disability or an excuse. Students make a lot of excuses when theyre being punished.

Status
Not open for further replies.