Good Sam gets screwed

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Good Samaritan's Car Stolen at Crash Scene

WATERBURY, Conn. (AP)- A Naugatuck man who tried to help out at a highway accident scene ended up a victim when one of the people involved in the accident, made off with his car.

Larry Valletta had pulled over on Route 8 north early Sunday after spotting two cars that had been involved in an accident. One car was flipped over.

Valletta said he called state police and went to check on the people. The two men in the flipped over car got out. One man was helping an injured man to the side of the road.

When Valletta went to check on the people in the other damaged car, a man who had been in the flipped over car had made off in his car.

``It didn't even dawn on me. I would have never second guessed that someone was going to hop in my car and take off with it,'' Valletta said.

Information from: Republican-American, http://www.rep-am.com
http://cnn.aimtoday.cnn.com/news/story.jsp...642.htm&sc=1120

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Well that just sucks...

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by Wingnut@Feb 8 2005, 05:14 PM
Well that just sucks...
I could not come up with anything different to say...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt+Feb 8 2005, 08:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coloradoemt @ Feb 8 2005, 08:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wingnut@Feb 8 2005, 05:14 PM
Well that just sucks...
I could not come up with anything different to say... [/b][/quote]
second the motion

Jon

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Anyone wanna bet the guy had warrants or the flipped-over-car was stolen?

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
I agree... that does suck. What a world we live in! Someone goes to help someone out...that someone helps themselves to the other persons car...

<_<

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That's just wrong.

Another great reason why I'd rather call 911 and not stop on the side of the road in my POV.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Anyone wanna bet the guy had warrants or the flipped-over-car was stolen?

-------

You're probably right <_<

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Matt,

Has that happened before to you? Where you witness something and you keep driving?

I am just curious how everyone feels about helping people off duty. I mean, I am all for helping people, no matter what...but sometimes the thought scares me... because you never know who's really hurt or who's faking it so they can hurt you....

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I would be more comfortable just calling 911 and waiting for the calvery.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTstudent@Feb 10 2005, 09:17 AM
Matt,

Has that happened before to you? Where you witness something and you keep driving?

I am just curious how everyone feels about helping people off duty. I mean, I am all for helping people, no matter what...but sometimes the thought scares me... because you never know who's really hurt or who's faking it so they can hurt you....
I will stop unless I have somewhere I needed to be 15 minutes before ;)

I usually don't Identify myself as an EMT unless I actually do an assessment...just make sure everyone is OK, then I can keep going if I need to, don't have to worry about waiting for EMS / FD to arrive to "transfer care"

Jon

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You can see our post about stopping in my POV here:
http://www.emtlife.com/index.php?showtopic=31&hl=stop

As was the situation on an airplane at 30,000 feet where no one else volunteered, after a minute I volunteered my services. If I knew EMS was 10-15+ minutes away I'd stop and offer my services, but thats never happened.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Feb 10 2005, 08:54 PM
I will stop unless I have somewhere I needed to be 15 minutes before ;)

I usually don't Identify myself as an EMT unless I actually do an assessment...just make sure everyone is OK, then I can keep going if I need to, don't have to worry about waiting for EMS / FD to arrive to "transfer care"

Jon
You don't need to verbally identify yourself... It's usually on your back in large letters.

Plus, has being late ever stopped you before?

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Not the same as getting your car stolen, but working ski patrol, after stabilizing a broken ankle, and moving the patient to a POV for her parents to transport to the hosp, I went back to the shack only to realize they just stole my $120 dollar carbon fiber Oakley goggles....... Yeah, people do some funny stuff.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
For me I think I would stop if I witnessed the collision or if I had more than just my self to do anything other wise I would call 911 and wait for additional help first. If I did get out I would make sure my four ways are on and that my car is turned off and locked with the keys in my pocket.

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
Ive stopped numerous times to help, but its very frustrating when youre on your own with no equipment and you really cant do anything to help. SoI usually help control bleeding and take C-Spine, I get a good detailed history for the responding crews, and then I borrow their Cavacide for my hands and go home.