Giving a patient your number

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Give the pt a blank PCR w/ the company's # circled, they should figure out everything else. Perfectly legal.

How would that be a way to contact you? If a patient called looking for me, I really hope the person answering the phone would be smart enough to not give them any of my information.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
How would that be a way to contact you? If a patient called looking for me, I really hope the person answering the phone would be smart enough to not give them any of my information.

It's not a way to contact me. It's a message. If the pt is smart, he/she will get it and drop the subject, and if he/she is dumb enough to call the company #, well... there's only one way it can end. And on the odd, highly improbable chance that the person answering the phone @ the company will actually give some random my #, it's a good way to win the Darwin's award.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I actually have a different take on this.

I recently transported a patient who I discovered was a fellow alumni member of my Army unit, American Legionnaire, etc. His health is declining, kids are out of the house, etc. and he asked me for my number in order to stay in contact with me and some mutual friends we have on his behalf. I gave it to him because, well, he's a brother-in-arms. I heard back from him today and we chatted a bit.

I don't want anything from him (except a copy of the unit DVD) and I'm certainly not going to take advantage of him, but if it helps him to share how he's doing with a fellow veteran, or if he needs help moving something or whatnot, I'm a neighbor and a friend. Plus, look at their perception- if you refuse on the grounds of privacy for this situation, you're basically That Guy who no one likes, whereas acceptance is part of the community and comraderie.

I don't think you should go trying to get dates in the back of an ambulance, or randomly handing out your number to people. But there are some times it is acceptable and probably a good thing to do.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
^ I think that falls in the "there's an exception to every rule" folder. The situation you describe there is a perfectly acceptable reason to give a number to a pt.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
My dad has a stroke 2 years ago and at that time he lived out of town and the hospital there was not equipped to handle his case and he needed to be transported to the cities. My dad was loaded in the back with the paramedic and I rode in the front with the EMT(female). We got to talking and we ended up having some stuff in common. The ride to the cities was over an hour so we talked for quit awhile. After they got my dad unloaded and settles in the EMT walked up to me and asked me for my number. Whether it was because we both has a lot in common or the fact that I had told her I was going to be starting school for EMS she asked for it. I didn't have an issue giving her my number but I was a little shocked. Were still friends to this day and talk on occasion.

Was it the most professional thing to do, no. Did it look a bit tacky, yes. She was not asking for my number because she was interested in me but could there of been a better time and place, yes.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I went on a couple of dates with a patient i treated. Soccer play who destroyed her knee, but he gave me her number on the way to the ER. I told her i couldnt call her until after she was healthy as i didnt want to be jammed up while she was still in PT or whatever. so i obviously feel if the patient initiates, you may have some latitude.

fatkid

New, but gettin the hang of EMS
Speaking of dating and exchanging phone numbers in the rig, what is the Code 3 club. I keep hearing about it but nobody will explain it to me

fatkid

New, but gettin the hang of EMS
OK, it must be bad, nevermind

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I've heard different variations of it.
  • Doing it in an ambulance or other emergency vehicle
  • Doing it on duty
  • Doing it with another coworker (not necessarily while on duty)
  • Doing it at the station
Now, let's get the thread back on topic.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Ya'll ever been to Vegas?
You should hear some of the stories.
:eek:

:rolleyes: