Giving a patient your number

RobertAlfanoNJEMT

Forum Lieutenant
is it just immoral and unprofessional to give your number out to a patient or is it actually illegal? I'm in NJ if there are different laws state to state.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
The only reason I would see someone giving their number to a patient is if they were trying to meet them again. Other than, I don't know why someone would give a patient their number.

wirk242

Forum Probie
Give out your number in what way?
Like trying to get a date our of your pts way, or the giving your number to a pts family so they know what hospital your going to way?

wirk242

Forum Probie
Yeah, not a good idea. Well unless you want to get fired and want your company to possibly get sued.

Just join tinder like my partner and tell your matches your a Firefighter.

In all seriousness asking your patients out is a horrible breach of trust and incredibly unprofessional. Probably not illegal but it should be.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know if illegal but highly unethical. Any EMS company with a reputable code of conduct and certainly all hospitals would fire you for doing so.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Pure hypothetical thought experiment here: what if it was the other way around? I.e. it's the patient who gave you their number or otherwise asked you out? Like someone you would want to go out with had you not met them at work, and they decided to leave their number written down on a piece of paper in the back? After making it clear they were asking you out so there's no misinterpretation? Would it make a difference if you were a volunteer vs paid? Small town where you could potentially run into said person off duty, or a large city where that wouldn't happen?

(I would personally never ask for a patients phone number nor give mine out in an attempt to get a date btw)

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
It is absurdly unprofessional and should not be done. I don't think it's illegal though. That being said, I would not think less of someone who pursued a relationship with someone who they had once transported (or their family) as long as this was handled outside of the job. So for example if you once transported someone but then later ran into them through mutual friends or at a party I don't think that's a big deal.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm a volunteer.. Just added info
Being a volunteer is not an excuse for anything. The only thing it means is that it might be harder to fire you than if you were professional staff.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Unethical.

How would one even get to that point?
" what's your name? Dob? Past medical hx? Cell phone number? Astrological sign? Do you have a snap chat?"