Gift ideas for a paramedic?

Starfish

Forum Ride Along
Hi all.
My boyfriend is about to start a paramedic program this fall (I hope he's not reading this thread!) and I would like to get him a gift that he will find useful and helpful during his training and beyond. After reading some of these threads, I'm starting to learn that a whole lot of gear isn't really necessary to carry around all the time, but all the same, is there any piece of equipment or any particular book or other resource that you think would be particularly helpful to a new paramedic?

EMSrush

Forum Captain
A good quality O2 wrench.... I use mine several times a day.

BEorP

Forum Captain
If he doesn't have a stethoscope yet then that it always a good bet. You'll see lots of debate here on what is best, but I think that the Littmann Classic II SE is an excellent steth.

An anatomy and physiology textbook would also be an excellent resource that he could use for his entire career.

I guess an O2 wrench depends on where you work. If the cylinders have the little handle on it then it is not necessary. And really, even if your tanks do need to be opened with a wrench the employer should be providing this (I know, I know... then you need to worry about them getting lost and all that).

OP
OP
S

Starfish

Forum Ride Along
He does already own a stethoscope and a sphygmomanometer. He has some textbooks left over from his undergrad days, but I'm sure there are some others out there that would be a useful update to his collection...

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
Have his cert framed in a nice frame, NREMT sells some nice paramedic specific ones.

A nice watch designed to handle some roughness and water

Paramedic field guide, not an everyday tool but when you need it its worth gold

If his Service doesn't provide them. A nice multi season rain jacket and/or ff jobshirt

Starbucks registered gift card, each drink earns points toward free drinks and other perks.

Decent tactical flashlight, I love the fenix TK15

Cafepress a coffee mug or other

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Penlight.-a nice LED one
Pens are always good, the stethoscope is an excellent idea with his name engraved on it

Anjel

Forum Angel
I think the watch and penlight is a great idea.

Waterproof and scratch proof for the watch.

The field guide is lifesaver.

Boot shining kit too.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Dubin's Rapid Interpretation :p

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
A mac book pro. alot of essays, presentations, and demonstrations will be part of the curriculum and a MBP will be extremely helpful.

if thats too much, then something simple like a pair of bigshears. www.bigshears.com. dont get an expensive steth. it WILL get damaged in field by some 5150 pt off their meds.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
ESS Safety glasses / look like Oakleys but you get 2 (1 sun glasses / 1 clear glasses) in the same package, about $90. I wear them. Yea... I got vomit years ago in the eye so I wear glasses all the time while on jobs now. They are ballistic rated and cheap for 2 glasses. Google E.S.S. Crossbows.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoneStarSoldier

Forum Crew Member
Actually, EMTs MIGHT qualify for a discount on Oakley sunglasses. The site is mainly for law enforcement and military but it might work for EMS professionals seeing as though they're still government employees. go to www.usstandardissue.com and check out what they offer. The prices are really good, especially for Oakleys but you have to register and be approve before you can order.

nemedic

Forum Captain
Actually, EMTs MIGHT qualify for a discount on Oakley sunglasses. The site is mainly for law enforcement and military but it might work for EMS professionals seeing as though they're still government employees. go to www.usstandardissue.com and check out what they offer. The prices are really good, especially for Oakleys but you have to register and be approve before you can order.

Not sure if this is still the case, but I was approved in January off my EMT card. Sent in state and NR if that makes any different

Sasha

Forum Chief
A good quality O2 wrench.... I use mine several times a day.

Or you can just collect them from work.

Not that I would ever do that.

Especially not when they're pink.

I don't wear a watch. You should get him giftcards for like coffee and food and stuff.

LoneStarSoldier

Forum Crew Member
The glasses are great though. They all meet the military eye-protection standard, so you could take shrapnel or high-velocity objects and your eyes will be protected (not that you'd be taking shrapnel or anything but it's nice to know you'd be protected just in case). They're, on average, about $50-$100 off the commercial price for the same models.

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
I would say a good field drug guide. I know when I was doin my basic training the medic used his a few times a night