Getting glucose from an IV needle

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
So the other night my partner starts an IV and i asked him to get a BGL before he attached the saline, so in other words when he retracts the needle, just get a drop of blood from the line before he connects the saline. So im getting history and such, he gives me the needle and says here get your sugar out of this, and goes up front and starts headed towards the hospital. We have the retractable ones that clip at the end instead of the auto-retracts which I was used to at my last employer. is there some special thing im missing on how to get the BGL off that needle or is my partner just lazy?

piton23

Forum Probie
15870703624bb1178701453..jpg

If it is this type, take a pen and push the little white plug at the back of the needle, this will push a drop of blood out of the needle end.

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
On one end of the plastic piece that the needle retracts into, there is a pen sized hole with a small, white cylinder looking thing inside. Put your test strip at the other end and press the cylinder down with a pen. There should be a small drop of blood that comes out. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Introcan1.jpg

Its this kind lol

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Doesn't the back pull or twist off giving you access to the blood in the flash chamber. They look similar to the ones I used at my former job.

I actually tried that and the strip wont fit into the chamber lol.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I actually tried that and the strip wont fit into the chamber lol.

That's because you have to blow into the needle to get it to come out...

Duh.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Introcan1.jpg

Its this kind lol

As a more serious answer,

Remove the flash cap, it just twists or pulls off.

Tap it on the bottom on a table or flat surface to get the blood close enough to get sucked up by the test strip.

medicasaurus

Forum Probie
Using Venous blood in a Glucometer tends to overestimate of the Blood Glucose.

ww w.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15625997

remove space between www as I am to new to post links apparently but its a related study.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Using Venous blood in a Glucometer tends to overestimate of the Blood Glucose.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15625997

remove space between www as I am to new to post links apparently but its a related study.

That study is a bit suspect as venous whole blood measurement tends to be lower than capillary whole blood measurement:
At time zero, the venous and capillary whole blood glucose results were equivalent. The post-loaded glucose levels in capillary blood were significantly higher than the glucose levels in venous blood. (PubMed)

medicasaurus

Forum Probie
Well time to do more reading for me.

Point remains however as to using venous blood on a cap BG meter.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
On a 0-10 scale of what's important in the realm of patient assessment, where the blood came from for the glucometer ranks at about a negative two. If you get a reading that doesn't agree with what you're seeing, retake it with cap blood. You should be retaking readings that don't agree with the rest of the assessment anyway to make sure the sample was large enough and wasn't contaminated.

Just my two cents...take it for what it's worth.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
On a 0-10 scale of what's important in the realm of patient assessment, where the blood came from for the glucometer ranks at about a negative two. If you get a reading that doesn't agree with what you're seeing, retake it with cap blood. You should be retaking readings that don't agree with the rest of the assessment anyway to make sure the sample was large enough and wasn't contaminated.

Just my two cents...take it for what it's worth.

Agreed. My first BGL on my burn guy yesterday was 36 mg/dl from the catheter yet he was a&ox4 with no Hx of DM...finger stick came back in the 110s...

If something doesn't make sense you need to troubleshoot.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Agreed. My first BGL on my burn guy yesterday was 36 mg/dl from the catheter yet he was a&ox4 with no Hx of DM...finger stick came back in the 110s...

If something doesn't make sense you need to troubleshoot.

What was your rationale for taking a BGL on a patient who had no diabetic history or (presumably) presentation with some sort of problem where dysglycaemia would be possible cause?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What was your rationale for taking a BGL on a patient who had no diabetic history or (presumably) presentation with some sort of problem where dysglycaemia would be possible cause?

Since he started the IV he had a blood sample. It seems common practice around here to get a test from that.

Any patient that gets an IV gets a BGL test.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Since he started the IV he had a blood sample. It seems common practice around here to get a test from that.

Any patient that gets an IV gets a BGL test.

Interesting, and quite different.