Getting back to sleep

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey all,

I have a question for everyone who works 24's or overnights.

I'm wondering how you get back to sleep after a call. Recently, when I'm working 24s or on the overnight, after a call I can't fall back asleep. If we take a call at 2am, I'll get back at 2:30 and lie awake until our 7am wake up call. Also, i've been having some issues falling asleep in the station to begin with. Sometimes I'll get in bed at 10 and not fall asleep for hours.

I know the quality of sleep in station has never been the same for me--dressed to get up quickly, and the thought of having to get up at any moment--but it's never been this bad.

I should be getting more sleep as the standing orders for dispatching changed recently and for all intents and purposes we no longer mutual aid other departments between 10pm and 8am so we only have our 0.5 square mile primary response area plus about a 2 sq mi township that we contact to cover so there should be fewer calls and more sleep...

Any suggestions on falling asleep? I thought about getting some sleeping pills but they won't work since i could have to get up at any moment.

Thanks!

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
Do some CEU's online and that should put you to sleep. I do alot of them when I am bored at 0200hrs. Atleast your being productive in the process..lol

Medic744

Forum Captain
Find something that you REALLY want to watch on TV and get comfy. You will find yourself asleep before you know it.

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
Sometimes exercise works for me too. We have weights and things to workout with and you could just wear yourself out.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Meditation always worked for me. I use progressive relaxation.

Read about it here. It's easy and really works.

We'd return from a call at 0200, by 0210, I was in my bunk working on relaxing. I'd fall right asleep.

I also put comfy bedding on my bunk. Rather than use a sleeping bag, as my partner did, I always made my bunk with fresh sheets, comfy pillows and a down comforter. It all fit in my duffel bag and made a huge difference in how well I slept on 24s.

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
Meditation always worked for me. I use progressive relaxation.

Read about it here. It's easy and really works.

We'd return from a call at 0200, by 0210, I was in my bunk working on relaxing. I'd fall right asleep.

I also put comfy bedding on my bunk. Rather than use a sleeping bag, as my partner did, I always made my bunk with fresh sheets, comfy pillows and a down comforter. It all fit in my duffel bag and made a huge difference in how well I slept on 24s.

That sounds like a good idea.

JCampbell

Forum Crew Member
I don't know if there is a "one size fits all" trick for sleep. I personally work 1800 to 0600 and I don't sleep much at all between calls. Our dispatcher is for about 5 units in three different parts of the state so I have to hear calls all night and listen for my truck number. But when I do get to sleep, I like deep breathing exercises, works well for me. Also having something on my stomach, like a few bites from a cereal bar or a half a peanut butter sandwich seems to help.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I sleep like a baby after a call. The later the call the easier I fall back asleep. So I can't help you :p

Edit:

Actually I recommend making your sleep area as comfy as possible. Personally I use my own pillow case with station pillows doubled up (my wife made me a pillow case with an EMS fabric that fits two pillows inside...super nice), a fleece blanket (the no-sew blankets), and a clean sheet to lay on. I usually uncover my bed so when I get back it's nice and cold. I fall asleep easier if my bed is cold, it takes me awhile if the bed is warm or I'm hot. Also I use a fan, that background noise lulls me to sleep. This works well depending on whatever you use to sleep on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Seconding the meditation bit. Even if you don't fall asleep, you'll feel better-rested than if you stare into space all night, and it's generally good for you. There are all kinds; try a few and see what works for you.

Making sure the bed is as comfortable as possible helps. I sleep like a baby at the station where we have really nice mattresses. At the one where the mattress is like a bed full of rocks, I keep a really thick old sleeping bag in my locker and sleep on top of that.

When all else fails, I get out of bed, go downstairs, and study.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I went to sleep easy when I did 24's as well. Mainly because I was tired, I don't seem to really get wired up after a call.

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
I like to take naps throughout the day so im not tired, but on the other hand oversleep makes for a long shift.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Sounds obvious, but make sure you're not drinking caffeinated beverages/soda or snacking on chocolate while on the call. A swig of MD or Coke can really jolt your system into overdrive, even at 2am. Stick with little sips of water after hours; remember, a filling bladder does not make a comfortable bed-partner, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Warm milk haha

Nah. Seriously though...try getting something absolutely boring to you and read it or listen to it. cuddle up and watch a rerun of your fav. show. make your bunk as comfy and home-like as possible. count backwards. use an eye mask (cant keep opening your eyes....will tend 2 help you get to sleep). if you workout, dont overexert yourself because you will have to be able to get up quickly later. if you arent too busy that night, take a hot shower....
best of luck. i had the same problem at first, but i got used to it. you have to adjust and that can take years. :(

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I never really had a problem falling asleep after calls at night. I just never got a restful sleep as I was always listening for the phone or radio tones...

As to how I'd unwind, I'd just do progressive relaxation mixed with some zen meditation. It took a couple years to get used to it though.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have insomnia, it use to be real bad and I took ambien for a couple years. Obviously ambien wont work for you since you have to remain fit for duty. Other things that help me are taking a shower before bed, AVOIDING stimulating activity before bed, for me that includes the internet(except stumble), music and tv....

I will say sometimes I stumble... and I herd that does the opposite to some people so be warned, do all that other crap I suggested and give this website 30 minutes or so http://www.stumbleupon.com/

it will either keep you awake all night or you'll drift off, works for me sometimes anyway.

Are you awake because you are thinking in head about the call you just had, or the possibility of getting woke up again for another call?

Marty Mcfly

Forum Crew Member
I have no problem sleeping in the rig with the radio on, but when we get back to quarters i cant sleep at all.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
i always get to sleep easily on overnights, the real problem: getting my pants off without teking off my boots. the second you get the boots off and lie down you're gonna be heading back out....

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Are you working a regular scheduled shift, or picking up occasional 24's or night shifts?

People who change shifts a lot, and even those of us who work regularly scheduled overnight or 24-hr shifts, often have problems with insomnia and excessive daytime sleepiness. The diagnosis is made clinically after a negative sleep study, and it's called shift work sleep disorder.

The only real cure is regularly scheduled daytime work... but all of the above suggestions can help with getting back to bed. If you are having symptoms beside the insomnia, consider seeing your physician for assistance.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you working a regular scheduled shift, or picking up occasional 24's or night shifts?

People who change shifts a lot, and even those of us who work regularly scheduled overnight or 24-hr shifts, often have problems with insomnia and excessive daytime sleepiness. The diagnosis is made clinically after a negative sleep study, and it's called shift work sleep disorder.

The only real cure is regularly scheduled daytime work... but all of the above suggestions can help with getting back to bed. If you are having symptoms beside the insomnia, consider seeing your physician for assistance.

In the summers I work a regular schedule. In the winters, I work once or twice a week, either just an overnight or a full 24. But the days I work the overnights and/or full 24s are the same. Does this make a difference?

ems_is_4_me

Forum Ride Along
We work 48’s so there isn’t much choice. I really haven’t ever had any trouble falling asleep I even sleep in the truck on the way back from long transfers. Wish I could help more.