Georgia Medics/Basics

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Look into Lanier Tech in oakwood. I attended the paramedic program last year and highly recommend the program.

I am, thank you! I've just gotta figure out where I can find an AEMT program first.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I think the one out in Villa Rica is doing an AEMT class, I know Promedics currently has 2 AEMT classes with another that just started, and I dont have a clue about anywhere else.

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
I think the one out in Villa Rica is doing an AEMT class, I know Promedics currently has 2 AEMT classes with another that just started, and I dont have a clue about anywhere else.

I sent Promedics an email last night, I'll give them until Monday before I call.
Does GA do anything w NREMT-Bs anymore?

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I sent Promedics an email last night, I'll give them until Monday before I call.
Does GA do anything w NREMT-Bs anymore?

Offically, GA does not recognize EMT-B, however, you can get NREMT as a Basic, though most schools here don't even offer the program and if you ask they'll just give you a look like your f'in stupid. On that note, you will find Basics in FD's that may work at the EMR level or if the Dept. is nice enough, at the Basic level. Some private companies in the far far south end of GA will hire Basics to work on a truck, this is the same with very rural areas of GA. I would assume this is because of difficulty finding EMS providers.
In the Metro Atlanta area, its EMT-I/85, AEMT, or Medic and that's it. Most hospitals around here also require Medic to work as a ER Tech aswell.

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Offically, GA does not recognize EMT-B, however, you can get NREMT as a Basic, though most schools here don't even offer the program and if you ask they'll just give you a look like your f'in stupid. On that note, you will find Basics in FD's that may work at the EMR level or if the Dept. is nice enough, at the Basic level. Some private companies in the far far south end of GA will hire Basics to work on a truck, this is the same with very rural areas of GA. I would assume this is because of difficulty finding EMS providers.
In the Metro Atlanta area, its EMT-I/85, AEMT, or Medic and that's it. Most hospitals around here also require Medic to work as a ER Tech aswell.

Awesome info, thank you!

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
No problem, if you have any other questions just pm me or post a reply on here .

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
OK, so here's a bit of an update:
I spoke w ProMedics today, and I can jump into their Advanced portion of the EMT class this upcoming March/April. Hopefully they have this portion after 3March (I'm moving 1March). I know it's a bit of a hike from Ft. Benning, but I'm ok with it. Thanks all for your help!

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats, good luck.

austinwarren

Forum Probie
Hey guys. I am thinking about becoming an EMT-B in the summer down here in florida then moving to Georgia to go to school and become a Paramedic/Firefighter. Is Gwinnet county a good school for Paramedic?

I would be moving right into Lawrenceville,GA with my aunt and uncle.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I can't speak for the school personally, though I believe someone around here went to/ goes to the school, and if not, I'd give them a call and ask them about their registry 1st time pass rate for medics, it's atleast something to go on.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys. I am thinking about becoming an EMT-B in the summer down here in florida then moving to Georgia to go to school and become a Paramedic/Firefighter. Is Gwinnet county a good school for Paramedic?

I would be moving right into Lawrenceville,GA with my aunt and uncle.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I know it's a bit of an old thread by now(was looking for something for another thread and thought it was in here).

Anyway, if I'm reading your post correctly your stating that your going to FL to become an EMT-B and that's great, however as I recall from FL's EMS rules/laws, etc. FL takes a state test to become certified in the state of FL and do not/cannot(which ever it is) take National Registry(NR). Now, the problem with this is, when you move to GA and apply for your GA license the state will want your NR papers stating that you have passed NR, and this is because GA does not have a state test in any way, shape, or form. With that, the state cannot verify your training and will not issue you a GA license as an EMT. Which would prohibit you from attending paramedic school because you have to be a licesned EMT before attending paramedic school. So that, is problem number 1.

The second problem is, the state would require you to upgrade to the the new AEMT level before allowing you to begin paramedic school.

So, with all of this, your best bet would be waiting till your in GA and taking an EMT course here and passing then taking on paramedic school. Hope all of this helps.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
I know it's a bit of an old thread by now(was looking for something for another thread and thought it was in here).

Anyway, if I'm reading your post correctly your stating that your going to FL to become an EMT-B and that's great, however as I recall from FL's EMS rules/laws, etc. FL takes a state test to become certified in the state of FL and do not/cannot(which ever it is) take National Registry(NR). Now, the problem with this is, when you move to GA and apply for your GA license the state will want your NR papers stating that you have passed NR, and this is because GA does not have a state test in any way, shape, or form. With that, the state cannot verify your training and will not issue you a GA license as an EMT. Which would prohibit you from attending paramedic school because you have to be a licesned EMT before attending paramedic school. So that, is problem number 1.

The second problem is, the state would require you to upgrade to the the new AEMT level before allowing you to begin paramedic school.

So, with all of this, your best bet would be waiting till your in GA and taking an EMT course here and passing then taking on paramedic school. Hope all of this helps.

Florida requires NREMT CBT for basics and that is the written test for the state also. Skills are done by your school. No NREMT test for medics though.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Florida requires NREMT CBT for basics and that is the written test for the state also. Skills are done by your school. No NREMT test for medics though.

Hmm, well good to know. I knew Florida had some weird way of doing NREMT.