Georgia Medics/Basics

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a basic in Mass and I will shortly be moving to GA (I'm 1/2 done w getting my national).
Can I, as a NREMT-B go straight to a Medic program after I've gotten my certs settled?
Thanks.
(also, any recommendations for programs? Google keeps vomiting useless info at me.)

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
I'm a basic in Mass and I will shortly be moving to GA (I'm 1/2 done w getting my national).
Can I, as a NREMT-B go straight to a Medic program after I've gotten my certs settled?
Thanks.
(also, any recommendations for programs? Google keeps vomiting useless info at me.)

Macon has a Paramedic program at Central GA Tech. Not sure though if you can go directly into the Paramedic program tho as an EMT-B since GA has converted over to AEMT. I have class tonight and I will ask my instructor for you.

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Macon has a Paramedic program at Central GA Tech. Not sure though if you can go directly into the Paramedic program tho as an EMT-B since GA has converted over to AEMT. I have class tonight and I will ask my instructor for you.

Wow, thank you. I'm kinda flying blind right now- I'm kinda clueless on what I should do other than get my national cert. thank you so much.

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
Also do you know where in GA you will be moving to, that way I can get some info on the programs that will be in that area for you so at least you will kinda know what to do and where to go when you get here. =)

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Also do you know where in GA you will be moving to, that way I can get some info on the programs that will be in that area for you so at least you will kinda know what to do and where to go when you get here. =)

Just pm'd you :)

emt11

Forum Lieutenant

You are correct in the part of EMT-B will have to convert over to AEMT.

Unfortunatly for the OP, this means you will have to sit through a full AEMT class(more than 95% sure). As I had a NREMT-B in my EMT-I class, and needless to say he had to sit through the full class. Now, I did take my classes through a private school instead of a college(which personally I like better, but that's me). So things may pan out differently in a college, but I can't think of any reason that it would.

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
You are correct in the part of EMT-B will have to convert over to AEMT.

Unfortunatly for the OP, this means you will have to sit through a full AEMT class(more than 95% sure). As I had a NREMT-B in my EMT-I class, and needless to say he had to sit through the full class. Now, I did take my classes through a private school instead of a college(which personally I like better, but that's me). So things may pan out differently in a college, but I can't think of any reason that it would.

It's ok, I actually don't mind going and doing the course again. Are AEMTs more closely trained to EMT-I?
What school did you go to? Was it in GA?

awestmo

Forum Probie
You'll have to sit through the second part of the AEMT program.

AEMT is now taught in two parts, the first being EMT (EMT-B).

AEMT's function as Intermediates with added skills such as administration of Narcan, epi 1:10, and nitro. There might be another skill or so. Check out ems.ga.gov

Gwinnett tech is a great school.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
It's ok, I actually don't mind going and doing the course again. Are AEMTs more closely trained to EMT-I?
What school did you go to? Was it in GA?

http://ems.ga.gov/programs/ems/Proc... - Updated 7-1-2011 - ALL LEVELS (no EMR).pdf

That is the current scope of practice for all levels in the state. AEMTs are a higher level of provider in the state of GA, not by much, but they still are. I went to a school in Villa Rica, GA(a simple google search would bring it up as they are the only school in that town).
After graduating from there, I cannot allow myself to recommend them on the basis that they are a money pit and do not care about teaching, just making money. As the instructors allow currently work as Medics and one or two that are EMT-I's, mostly for FD's, though my instructor worked 24/48 for a FD and 12's for a private and taught at the school. After getting through A&P at the very beginning of the class, we pretty much taught ourselves as the instructors would strictly read from the powerpoints and tell stories of being a paragod.

I can however, recommend a school in Smyrna, GA that does teach the AEMT program. They are a private school aswell. Their is another school in Marietta, GA called Medix that is very expensive and makes you go through their finnancing company before you do anything. Last I checked, they run about 10-13,000 for EMT school and to top it off, don't have the best first time NREMT pass rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
You'll have to sit through the second part of the AEMT program.

AEMT is now taught in two parts, the first being EMT (EMT-B).

AEMT's function as Intermediates with added skills such as administration of Narcan, epi 1:10, and nitro. There might be another skill or so. Check out ems.ga.gov

Gwinnett tech is a great school.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Your right in that AEMT is taught in two parts, with EMT-B being the first. However, I doubt a school would allow a student to miss the first part and come in on the second. As the state has a standard on the number of seat hours a student must be in class. Which is why, atleast for private schools, if you miss so many classes, you are dropped from the program.

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
http://ems.ga.gov/programs/ems/Proc... - Updated 7-1-2011 - ALL LEVELS (no EMR).pdf

That is the current scope of practice for all levels in the state. AEMTs are a higher level of provider in the state of GA, not by much, but they still are. I went to a school in Villa Rica, GA(a simple google search would bring it up as they are the only school in that town).
After graduating from there, I cannot allow myself to recommend them on the basis that they are a money pit and do not care about teaching, just making money. As the instructors allow currently work as Medics and one or two that are EMT-I's, mostly for FD's, though my instructor worked 24/48 for a FD and 12's for a private and taught at the school. After getting through A&P at the very beginning of the class, we pretty much taught ourselves as the instructors would strictly read from the powerpoints and tell stories of being a paragod.

I can however, recommend a school in Smyrna, GA that does teach the AEMT program. They are a private school aswell. Their is another school in Marietta, GA called Medix that is very expensive and makes you go through their finnancing company before you do anything. Last I checked, they run about 10-13,000 for EMT school and to top it off, don't have the best first time NREMT pass rate.

The school you mentioned in Smyrna, would that be Fortis?

I'm trying to get in touch w someone at Columbus FD for a class, I'm not sure how that would work though since I'm not on the dept.

Thank you for the heads up about Medix, I was actually looking into them.

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
Your right in that AEMT is taught in two parts, with EMT-B being the first. However, I doubt a school would allow a student to miss the first part and come in on the second. As the state has a standard on the number of seat hours a student must be in class. Which is why, atleast for private schools, if you miss so many classes, you are dropped from the program.

The school I go to in Macon will start a new curriculum (i was told probably by May) for just the AEMT part so you don't have to go through basic again. I know this doesn't help you tho, since you will be in Columbus. Were you able to get a hold of anybody from that website I sent you?

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
The school you mentioned in Smyrna, would that be Fortis?

I'm trying to get in touch w someone at Columbus FD for a class, I'm not sure how that would work though since I'm not on the dept.

Thank you for the heads up about Medix, I was actually looking into them.

It's not, I'm talking about Promedics.
www.promedicsemsacademy.com

Most FD's don't have outside of the Dept. people come in for a EMT class. Some FD's around here only require EMR, and some do their own inhouse EMT class.

OP
OP
ARose

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
The school I go to in Macon will start a new curriculum (i was told probably by May) for just the AEMT part so you don't have to go through basic again. I know this doesn't help you tho, since you will be in Columbus. Were you able to get a hold of anybody from that website I sent you?

From the FD? I'm going to today. My husband also offered to go down and talk to someone in person, since he's currently at Benning.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I might look into ProMedics, thanks for the link, I'll give them a shout today also.

Your welcome, I know Promedics is very easy to work with on their schedules, I'm sure they'll go over that with you on the phone or in a meeting should you go that far into getting into the school.

palmer1121

Forum Crew Member
Look into Lanier Tech in oakwood. I attended the paramedic program last year and highly recommend the program.