Funny call

DavethetrainWreck

Forum Probie
I challange anyone on this board to tell me they have had this happen to them...

Get called out to a private residence for a possible 10-48 (unattended death). Mail man called in a "dead body" in the back of a parked car in the driveway. We roll code 3, supervisor rolls code 3, and PD rolls code 3. I'm first up to the car and look in the window and crack up laughing...

Extra large overstuffed teddy bear laying sideways on the back seat

Took me a minute of laughing to be able to tell dispatch...
I almost laughed myself into an aneurysm. lol. thanks for sharing that story.

DavethetrainWreck

Forum Probie
My EMT-B instructor told us about a great call they got recently. It came through as a suicide by hanging, and the man had been found by his wife. The dispatcher told them that CPR was in progress by the wife because he was still warm. As they were getting ready to go, an update came through, that the wife was getting hysterical because the pt "wouldn't let her continue CPR."

I'm just imagining this poor guy trying to fend off his wife's over-eager chest compressions.
reminds me of that episode of family guy where Peter tries to perform CPR.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Hmmmm....... So did you folks work the call?? LOL :p:p:p

What's the breath to compression ratio for a teddy bear? What gauge would you use? Where would you even find a vein? If you can't find a vein, is IO an option? Don't think teddy bear's have bones... what about delivering meds nasally? Oh, teddy bears don't have nasal passages... eh, just call it. :wacko::p

bensley101

Forum Probie
was the mailman still there when you arrived? You should have begun CPR on the bear while he was watching. :p

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
My EMT-B instructor told us about a great call they got recently. It came through as a suicide by hanging, and the man had been found by his wife. The dispatcher told them that CPR was in progress by the wife because he was still warm. As they were getting ready to go, an update came through, that the wife was getting hysterical because the pt "wouldn't let her continue CPR."

I'm just imagining this poor guy trying to fend off his wife's over-eager chest compressions.

That's GOLD...pure GOLD.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
My lecturer told us about a call she went too that was pretty good.
3am, night shift is just about to go to bed and they get a job. CODE 1 (thats lights and sirens for us in Vic, Australia): chest pain, possible LOC. They shoot off, as fast as you can expect the night shift too anyway. MICA also gets the call (intensive care paramedics). They turn up at the place and its a 14 yo girl who has a 'broken heart' because she just broke up with her boyfriend. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so outrageous that she took 2 ambulances out of service for like 30 mins.

I heard another variant of the same story where the job was upgraded to a priority zero (firefighters are dispatched as well in the hope that they might get there quicker. Our firefighters are pretty much BLS trained and have AEDs) soon after the call). Wouldn't her face have been red.

tah06090

Forum Crew Member
had a guy once who tried to kill himself by eating a whole box of bullets when we got there he was hurting he started to throw them up lets just say he wasnt pleasant lol:rolleyes:

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
had a guy once who tried to kill himself by eating a whole box of bullets when we got there he was hurting he started to throw them up lets just say he wasnt pleasant lol:rolleyes:

once had a girl who tried to kill herself by swallowing a nail. she thought it would occlude her airway.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Story along the same lines:

BLS Firefighters arrive first on scene of a "sick patient". Chief walks in to find a 60ish year old male lying supine on his bed, eyes closed, shallow resps, covered in vomit. Chief, not wanting to get too hands on, grabs the mans leg through the blankets to try to awaken him. The leg is as stiff as a board and teh man doesn't move. The firefighters exit the house just as the ALS Ambualcne arrives 2 minutes latter. As the medics head toward the house, the chief gives the "sign" (fingures accross the throat) for California code 11-44 (Coroners Case). Thank he god the medics went to verify it for themselves... The man has a prosthetic leg and was severlly septic, hince the aloc and the stiff leg. The man lived. The Chief wished he could die. True story, not mine.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
As the medics head toward the house, the chief gives the "sign" (fingures accross the throat) for California code 11-44 (Coroners Case).

That's also the sign fire uses to tell me I'm not needed because of no patient, or AMA

sop

Forum Lieutenant
I challange anyone on this board to tell me they have had this happen to them...

Get called out to a private residence for a possible 10-48 (unattended death). Mail man called in a "dead body" in the back of a parked car in the driveway. We roll code 3, supervisor rolls code 3, and PD rolls code 3. I'm first up to the car and look in the window and crack up laughing...

Extra large overstuffed teddy bear laying sideways on the back seat

Took me a minute of laughing to be able to tell dispatch...

There's this medical instructor who I know. She carries a dummy around with her as she goes around to different schools. She was taking the dummy out of the car one day, and someone thought she was try to get rid of a dead body.

Ped101

Forum Crew Member
Suicide attempt

I dont think that i can beat you but this was pretty hilarious

We get called to a code violet (suicide attempt) by a guy who jumped in front o a car in a highway

So we go code 3, as fast as the ambualnce goes and get to the scene and foind out what happened:

The guy did try to kill himself and jumped in front of a car, but the car anaged to make a full halt before hitting the man,

so he runs up to the car and throws himself at it and jst lays on the floor "dead" with a sprained ankle

The funniest by far for me in my year as an EMT

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
so he runs up to the car and throws himself at it and jst lays on the floor "dead" with a sprained ankle

The funniest by far for me in my year as an EMT[/QUOTE]

Was he high? lol :rolleyes:

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Story along the same lines:

BLS Firefighters arrive first on scene of a "sick patient". Chief walks in to find a 60ish year old male lying supine on his bed, eyes closed, shallow resps, covered in vomit. Chief, not wanting to get too hands on, grabs the mans leg through the blankets to try to awaken him. The leg is as stiff as a board and teh man doesn't move. The firefighters exit the house just as the ALS Ambualcne arrives 2 minutes latter. As the medics head toward the house, the chief gives the "sign" (fingures accross the throat) for California code 11-44 (Coroners Case). Thank he god the medics went to verify it for themselves... The man has a prosthetic leg and was severlly septic, hince the aloc and the stiff leg. The man lived. The Chief wished he could die. True story, not mine.

Hmmmm... the shallow respirs didn't give it away that the man was still alive AND BREATHING?