FTO Time

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
Keep your eyes and ears open, absorb as much as you can, and remember that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
the only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

Actually, that is an incorrect statement. Be sure to research and attempt to answer the question first before asking. It is much more presenting that you have an idea of or views before asking.

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually there is. That is if they want to be good at their job. In reality, the EMT on a IFT has more responsibility than those of a 911 system that has a Paramedic associated with them.

Making sure the patient history is obtained so proper transfer to stretcher, assessment and maintenance of comfort and accurate transfer occurs.

We demise those within in it, when in realistic terms they are just as essential taking the burden off a 911 system performing those calls.

R/r 911

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I work on a IFT truck, It is not complicated but you do have to pay attention, never try to move more that you feel comfortable moving and ask questions. The only thing with IFT is sometimes I dont feel like I get to utilize all of my skills, and on occasion we do back up local fire dept for 911 calls.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
IFT is not something to be despised or endured... it is true medical care... So, first thing first, embrace it and learn to do your job 110% and focus of providing great patient care... is it glamerous? Nope... many look down on it and "survive" it until they can get on a 911 rig. If that is your attitude, then only one suggestion: Turn around now and get out of EMS, because if you are only in it for the L&S and addrenaline... join the FD... j/k... Really, if you are getting into EMS for the chance to help people and practice meaningful medicine... then IFT is a great steepingstone that provides a solid bases in those concepts... as long as you have the right attitude going into it. Heck, I know EMTs (the good ones) that work 911 full-time, but when they want to pick up OT, they sign on for IFT shifts; they don't look down on it but realize its importance...

and that is the only advise I can give... everything else will come if you are willing to learn and you have a good FTO...

Sasha

Forum Chief
Retracted

10chars

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
im in the same boat as you man right now actually in the same county lol... but I am north end. Good luck man I have my Dispatch tomorrow and my CCT tuesday and then FTO starting wednesday