From EMT-B to Paramedic

OP
OP
I

Iancook

Forum Ride Along
I'm going to be working with a private ambulance company in Volusia County. Hopefully this will be the way to apply the knowledge as I gain that needed experience. What's funny is that after talking to so many and everyone saying how much harder it will be, I still can wait to get into medic school. Anyone have any good tips for the up coming?

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
Talk to your partner and ask him/her if they would be willing to show you techniques and new ALS assist skills that would beneficial as an ALS student. If you feel overwhelmed let your partner know. They have been where you are now and will likely understand the new EMT jitters. With time you'll become quite comfortable with your skills and working with your pts.

-Cap'n

Nikki320

Forum Probie
So heres my .02 If you can get the experience first. Definitely. As everyone else has already said BLS before ALS. With that being said i have never worked as an EMT and am in paramedic school. The reason i did that was because 1. my dad is paying for it and 2. i thought i was going to have a job the whole time i was in medic school. Unfortunately once i started medic school (and my dad had already started paying), i was hired but then told that i could not work for them unless i could do their training. Well at my medic school if you miss more than 3 days of class you are kicked out, and they wanted me to miss 4. Needless to say i couldn't take the job. As much as i know i should have the experience, i also know that i need to take advantage of my dad paying for the paramedic school. If i were to drop medic school and go get the job, my dad wouldn't pay for medic school again. SO, for me yea... It's going to be harder, definitely. I will probably work as an EMT-B once i get my paramedic license for atleast 6 monthes just to get the hang of everything and then i'll move up to paramedic. The thing is, there are some good paramedics out there who had absolutely no emt-b experience... Yes, they are rare and they have to prove themselves but they are out there and i plan on being one of them. SO, if you have the scholarship, i'd say do it. Unless ofcourse you can afford to pay for it later on in life. If possible get a job first and work while in medic school. So, i wish you all the best and hope whatever you chose works out for you.

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Keep in mind, it's not about how fast you can get to the top, but what you learn on the way. We are trained to go out and save lives. Other people put thier complete trust in us and we need to be well rounded and the very best we can be at what we do. I do not agree with zero to hero in 2 years. I think you need atleast 2 years of good dedicated field time to even start to get comfortable with your skills as a BLS provider. Never forget, BLS before ALS. You have to always remember you BLS no matter what you do in the future.

I say this because I have ran across all types of providers in the 11 years I have been in EMS. The ones who do the zero to hero in 2 years are in my experience dangerous to run with. The believe they know all there is to know because they have been schooled, but you get them in the real world, they hardly know how to back board a patient, much less run a shift or be in charge of a scene, etc.

It may sound harsh, but I am going by what I have seen. There is nothing that makes me sicker than for a new, green medic who is so wet behind the ears to step up in the back of my truck and tell me that I am doing somthing wrong, when I have been doing it alot longer than he has and it works for me, it may not be the text book way, but experience teaches you more than you will ever learn in school.

;)

OP
OP
I

Iancook

Forum Ride Along
Yea, that is the general idea i am getting from the much more experienced. So as i am already in school and paid for, is it possible to finish medic and then work as an EMT at first for a while? But, this would be a waste of training if possible. What about working in an ED for the time while in school to get that experience. I know a few guys that teach us work at a dept. and the hospital, they say it's a great way to get that comfort in working with the patients while doing and seeing alot of those skills.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Once you're a paramedic, then you're no longer an EMT-B. You take on the responsibilities of being a paramedic.
If you have the opportunity and believe that it would help you, then work in an ED during school. My suggestion?? Make sure you concentrate on what you need to know for school. Experience will come with time.....I can assure you that even with all the volunteering or time spent in an ER, you will still not feel comfortable later. It takes time.....make the most out of all of your experiences..why rush it?? I admire your enthusiasm, but do what you need to do and take all advice with a grain of salt.
That's my buck fifty!! ;)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I feel a person should have 1 or 2 years as a Basic before taking a medic class. That way they know the ropes, and have some on the job training. So Paramedic isn't such a shocker.

ECC

Forum Captain
I think BLS experience is invaluble...There are Paramedics who are VERY successful with a minimum of experience...but the vast majority I have observed going straight through to Paramedic have some serious deficiencies that are very hard to correct.

When I went to Paramedic School, NYC*EMS required 2 1/2 years of street experience (not just time with a card) before they would send you to the Academy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ECC@Oct 15 2005, 01:44 PM
I think BLS experience is invaluble...
I'm not saying that anyone is less trained weather they have street time or not, just that it helps.. a lot.

I meant street expirence, and what better way than to work ALS as a basic, sure they drive, but still gain valuable knowledge.. I like someone who is comfortable, and has a fair grasp on how things work. Gives time to work on bed side manner, and a little less with the cocky attitude that people seem to be bringing into EMS.

I had a new medic as a partner on a two medic crew, I drove when I felt it wasn't something that was interesting :p , I could hear him using his cocky attitude with the patients. Said to him if he kept it up, someone may ‘swing back’ at his comments. They never learn, by the end of the day a drunk clocked him square in the face. Little training in bed side manner could have prevented that.
icon12.gif

ECC

Forum Captain
So, basically, we agreed? :eek: :unsure:

ECC

Forum Captain
Wouldn't matter...they would not believe me anyway! :D