From EMT-B to Paramedic

Iancook

Forum Ride Along
I finished my EMT-B training and am now going to sit for my cert test. Since i have the time and money to do it right, so i have continued on with the education toward a Paramedicine A.S. degree. Is this wise, have any of you gone right from emt school to medic before getting a job out there, or while starting one? Thanks any input would be great.

Ian
Orlando, FL

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!!!

You'll hear both sides of the argument here. Some say go straight into Medic school. Some will say wait till you get 6 months to a year of road experience then hit Medic school.

I'll let them give you the reasons.

Chimp

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't think going onto medic school right away is a very wise decision. Experiece is really the key to success this field. I really think you should get on a squad or work for a company before you proceed. What the book says and how its done on the stree are sometimes to completely different things.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I have to agree with Phridae. It used to be mandatoy that you had to be a working EMT for 1 year before you could apply to medic school.

Now things have changed with "Pipe Line Paramedicine". I have met a few that were able to make it after going straight through, but the truth is, they receive little respect, at first, from the EMTs' that have been doing it a while.

As a medic, you are suppoesed to be the "Team Leader". It is pretty difficult to lead if you are still learning your job.

I found having experience prior to medic school made me more prepared for the classes. It also helped me treat my partners as "partners" and respect them more because I knew what they were going through as EMT's.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the notion that a medic should have road experience prior to being allowed into medic school. That said, you're going to have an advantage of having the basics fresh in your mind from Basic school as you go on to the next level.

There are countless times I wish I remembered something I learned in EMT school. I was so full of knowledge back then... those were the days. It's not bad having to whip out the quick-flip guide or read a book after a shift, but having fresh knowledge was fun and exciting.

Good luck!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
the best reason for not doing it that way is this

you get you medic ticket. you havent spent a day in the street, shoirt of some ride time and what not. you may never have hand to actually board someone in a real life situation. youve never tried to get Accurate vitals while your partner is coding throught the cuty. youve basically had little to no real time pt contact, AND NOW YOU WANT TO RUN AL INTERVENTIONS???????????

you need time to get the basic of working a truck in the street down flat before you move on to the high speed low drag world of the paragod. you really need to have a firm foundation to build up from. maybe you can get away with working as a basic during -p school but you need to be rock solid in you basic skills before getting into medic stuff.

thats my humble opinion. this is just one man talking. your resultsa may differ and your gas mileage may vary. as seen on tv, no refunds returns or exhanges.

bloorozez

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by Phridae@Aug 9 2005, 02:27 PM
I don't think going onto medic school right away is a very wise decision. Experiece is really the key to success this field. I really think you should get on a squad or work for a company before you proceed. What the book says and how its done on the stree are sometimes to completely different things.
i agree -- i was told that we cannot apply for medic school even before a year after our EMT-B and experience.

CanuckEMT

Forum Ride Along
I don't believe there is any special time that you should spend in the field prior to applying for medic school. It depends on two things: 1 - how much experiance you attain. Eg: you get a job casual with a service and in 1 year work maybe 3 months worth of total time. Or you get on with a service full-time and run 6 to 8 calls a day. The difference in actual time to gain the experiance needed is vastly different.

2 - How comfortable you are with your baisc skills. You shoudl be very comfortable running a call and have mastery of your BLS skills before you even entertain the idea of becoming a medic. BLS always before ALS.

I have been in the field for 2 1/2 years. I am now confident enough with my BLS skills ( we have more here in Canada than down there) to apply for medic school. I have been doing some pre-study as well and let me tell you the things I have learned in that time from other partners and Doc's sure are making the studying part easier.

OP
OP
I

Iancook

Forum Ride Along
Well, thanks for the welcome to the board. I just got on with an ambulance company in one of the counties around me, so I guess I will be working with them. See my deal is that I got a scholarship and as soon as i drop below full-time status at school, the scholarship disappears. So I would love to entertain the idea of a company letting get that experience then go to medic, but i also don't want to waste a scholarship. I guess it's my own rock and a hard place situation. medic school down here is about a year and a half, if working while atending school, could I be able to do both and end up in the same place, just sooner, as a -p and the experience? I guess I just really felt at home with the BLS skills and really wanted to get those ALS skills, just so i'm not as surprised by situations that may arise, and have more treatment options.

Thanks again for all the input....

Ian
Orlando, fl

CanuckEMT

Forum Ride Along
With working and going to school it depends on your program scedule. I am taking what is refered to here as an " outreach " program. The scedule is one week on ( mon- fri) and one week off to work with my service. I will need the cooperation of my coworkers to exchange some shifts so I can still work. It is going to be rough, as I have spoken to some people that have already taken the program, but in the end I believe it is worth it.

And to tell you the truth I woukldn't want to let that scolarship disappear either as our medic costs around 22,000.00 by the time you are finished.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Well, out here, the state regulations require 6 months minimum at the BLS level before you can go to medic school. Some of the medic schools have gotten even more stringent and require a full year.

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
Ok I may be talking out of my arse here but I will say what I can.

As greenie, I definitely think it is a wonderful idea to require 1 yr exp. BEFORE enrolling in ALS courses. Experience is a good educator, but at the same time should not replace what you learn in the classroom.

As of right now Im getting prepared to start as a N/S EMT at an industrial facility. I plan on getting some truck time by volunteering for the local rescue squad. Hopefully I can add experience to what Ive learned in the classroom before I continue my education to the paramedic level.

I hope this puts another view on things.

-Cap'nPanic

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
My $.02 worth, anyone got change for a nickel?

I do believe that having at LEAST one year of experience should be a requirement before moving on to paramedic, but I wouldn't waste the opprotunity the scholarship provides you. I say go for it, just make sure that you have a really good handle on your BLS skills.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Work part-time for experience and continue with your education. By all means, if you have a "free ride" with a scholorship, use it. Also consider some classes outside of EMS, i.e. A-P, microbiology, english, speech, technical writing, the list goes on and on. regardless of your decision, I wish you the best...............

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Personally I wouldn't. I have a free ride for my AS degree as well and was planning the same. I decided at last minute to change it to an RN degree instead of EMS. I'm personally not comfortable running a call and being the one in charge yet. But that's only me.

I know a few people who started out as medics and are damn good at it. They did have to prove themselves, but if your comfortable with what you're doing and feel you can handle it, go for it.

Best of luck to you!!! :D

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Hi Iancook! I guess I'm in the minority here with my experience. I went to paramedic school a couple of months out of EMT-B school. I did not have any problems or experience any prejudice/lack of respect due to not spending a year as a basic.
Do what you feel is right for you. Personally, I would not sacrifice the scholarship.
On the "pro" side of starting right away.....school is school and real life/ experience is just that. Sometimes people develop bad habits or do not perform skills according to the perfect "textbook" way. That way is what is tested in schools and that is what you need to know to pass.
There's my buck fifty.....best wishes to your future!! :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
There was a great article in JEMS this month on this exact topic. The guy made a GREAT point about why it was important to have road experience first. Being a good Medic isn't just about knowing the drugs and what you're doing, but also the confidence you have while doing it. Confidence only comes with experience, and there's nothing worse than an insecure Medic.

As an insecure EMT I couldn't agree more. The single greatest thing holding me back as being a great EMT is probably my lack of experience. When I had to run a call solo at 30,000 feet when I was alone I practically crapped my pants. I went back and forth from treating an MI to treating a stroke. Fortunately both included oxygen and we didn't push any drugs.

Experience is what makes a good Medic :)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
For me it was four years; 16-18; and then 18-20 while I was in school for it. I went to a two year tech school.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 12 2005, 11:07 PM
For me it was four years; 16-18; and then 18-20 while I was in school for it. I went to a two year tech school.
Hey.... I guess I really AM TTLWHKR Jr.

Same thing for me.

If you have the free ride and can get in the program, by all means, go for it... my training was over $10,000 out of my pocket...not counting gas and train fare or food, or time lost from work....

Just be warned... you will have to work your butt off in school, and it is even worse if you are trying to work full time...

Jon

runindash05

Forum Crew Member
Ian...Hey from orlando here too. You say that your working for a county here. Which county? Have my RMA interview this Wed. So you must be a FF too if working for county, unless it's Polk?

Brandon