For those who've done it as a career change

kristina

Forum Ride Along
I'm sure this has been asked before to a degree, but just thoughts or experiences if you've moved to the EMT / paramedic side of things from a completely non-related profession. I'm looking into it, have for some time, and so far have just talked to a few people I know who have been / are, but kind of would like "honest" opinions: pros, cons, is this even doable with a family. (Right now we both work at the same place, small fam. biz, and have toddler twins)

My friends are all "go for it" but they're trying to be supportive, which is great, but I'd like to get a really good picture. I know I certainly won't be making more, probably less so that's a factor, but I don't like what I do now anymore, at least as a full time job. I can easily do most of it from home if I get going on the EMT thought. So for anyone who's done this as a career change, best thing you ever did, any thoughts for someone still in decision mode? Also, doubting age is a huge issue, I'm 31. Technically in shape, just would have to get used to lifting heavier weights I'm sure.

TIA!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Go ahead, get your EMT and see if you like it. If not, oh well it was just a couple of months. If you do like it, continue on for your Paramedic.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Better yet, why not do some ride alongs. Most agencies allow civilians to do a ride-along as long as they sign some waivers. Ride for a shift or two and see if matches your expectations. If you are still interested, then take the class and attempt to get a job.

leftysoftball

Forum Probie
Better yet, why not do some ride alongs. Most agencies allow civilians to do a ride-along as long as they sign some waivers. Ride for a shift or two and see if matches your expectations. If you are still interested, then take the class and attempt to get a job.

This is very good advice, in my opinion. I was down-sized after 13yrs. at my old job. I got my EMT-B at 42yrs old while I was laid off for something to do. I work for a private ambulance company now. I absolutely love my job and the people I work with. Downside is that the pay is low. I'm seriously considering getting my RN if I can do so and pay the bills.
Good luck.

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
I got out of the military in the 70's and was working as a sup for International Harvestor. I was making a ton of money but hated my job. I quit memorial day weekend in 77 and enrolled in an EMT class. I finished the paramedic class while working in the next two years.

I love this job. I look forward to going into work every morning and as of next May I will have put two of my children thru under grad without the help of any loans.

I agree with doing a ride along and testing the waters.

FKeenan

Forum Ride Along
I stumbled onto this site looking for some guidance myself and saw this post. I worked full time EMS from 2001 to 2008. In 2007 I finished my bachelor's degree. Since 2008 I have worked as a construction safety manager. Good company, nice salary, great benefits, company vehicle, but I am miserable. I am bored out of my mind. I have no passion for my job. As a safety manager, I am alright, but as an EMT, I was great. I had a solid reputation with fellow EMS workers, police, and fire and I was proud to put on my uniform every day, even though it didn't pay very well. Now I am considering taking a 50% pay cut to return to what I once loved and go to paramedic school. I can't wait to give up my office, useless meetings, and even more useless conference calls to get back out on the street. Hopefully one day soon, when I get everything in line, I'll get to climb back on the truck. It isn't for everyone, but what is?

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I stumbled onto this site looking for some guidance myself and saw this post. I worked full time EMS from 2001 to 2008. In 2007 I finished my bachelor's degree. Since 2008 I have worked as a construction safety manager. Good company, nice salary, great benefits, company vehicle, but I am miserable. I am bored out of my mind. I have no passion for my job. As a safety manager, I am alright, but as an EMT, I was great. I had a solid reputation with fellow EMS workers, police, and fire and I was proud to put on my uniform every day, even though it didn't pay very well. Now I am considering taking a 50% pay cut to return to what I once loved and go to paramedic school. I can't wait to give up my office, useless meetings, and even more useless conference calls to get back out on the street. Hopefully one day soon, when I get everything in line, I'll get to climb back on the truck. It isn't for everyone, but what is?

Why dont you work the Construction job while going to the paramedic program if thats possible?

Themyst

Forum Probie
I was a housewife and decided I wanted to get out and do something. I can't even say why EMS interested me, it just did. I'm almost done with my EMT-B school (117 hours + 10 hour ER clinical + 8 hour ambulance clinical). It was a three and a half month class. I had to do a lot of studying since I had absolutely no previous medical knowledge at all but am doing pretty well with it.

So, I found this forum and have since discovered that there seems to be a big peeing match between the three levels, EMT-B, EMT-I, and Paramedic, even to the point that some seem to be indignant of the fact that most ordinary people think anyone who works on an ambulance is a 'medic'. :rolleyes:

I will be going on for my EMT-I next year when it is offered, otherwise, I could bypass that and just go on with a paramedic education somewhere else. But with a husband and two kids, that would be difficult since I would have to go away. I suspect I will have to take the long route through EMT-I.

In the meantime, I expect to pass the National Exam at the end of December, and perhaps pick up some per diem work at a few places around here (very rural area). But even though I will be just an EMT-B for now, I will be happy in the fact that if someone collapses or has a life threatening injury (even just a family member), I will not have to stand around helplessly, I will hopefully be able to employ my new found knowledge and keep someone alive until we reach the hospital (or I call the Big Important Fellows from ALS). ;)

OP
OP
K

kristina

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the responses, I put a call into the one ambulance district to inquire on a ride. Of course, some older posts on this site mention their program has a really long waiting list even for the EMT (St. Charles County, MO) so now have to debate either to wait on that one if I decide to go ahead, or tack on a lot of driving to one by my work. Hopefully will find out more next week on all that.

rbromme

Forum Crew Member
I did 10 years in the Navy and then 3 as an IT guy in the civilian world. I quit my job to be a stay at home dad for 10 years. When my youngest finished kindergarten, I was looking for something to do that offered flexible hours and was interesting. I did a ride along with a friend of a friend to see what the job was all about. It was my first time in an ambulance and the first EMS person that I had talked to that I know of. That day decided for me that I wanted to be on a rig and I signed up for a class. I got certified a few months ago and was very fortunate to get a job shortly after. I absolutely love the job and wish I had decided to do it earlier in my life. I do transports and 911 calls every shift and I enjoy both of them a lot. If you can get a ride along, do it. It may be a life changer for you.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP, I started in EMS in '92 at 39, after 18 years in a variety of non-EMS management positions. It worked for me, but I didn't make the change until I tried EMS as a volunteer for a few years. I had to adjust to a big reduction in pay, irregular hours, a lot more physical work, and a chain of command that's a lot different from the corporate world.

I agree with the ride-along -- it's a good way to get a preview of what you'd be doing.

To Themyst, I think it's great that you've decided to try EMS. Once you pass your EMT course and gain some practical experience, I'm sure you'll have a better understanding of issues concerning prehospital roles, levels of certification, and standards of care.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
I have 18 years in software management, development and testing and took the plunge last year. I already figured I'd like it, having done a little of it in a military context. But some people think they will and don't. So I'd say get an MR cert and try to run with a local volley unit to see if it fits you.

AustinNative

Forum Crew Member
11 years in the Video Game industry as a Producer. Breathed stress, weighed 240, and used massive amounts of drugs and booze to medicate myself. Had to leave that insane lifestyle and get sober or die. Three years of clean sobriety under my belt, I weigh 175 and I am in great shape. At 45 decided to give something back to society. I heartily recommend taking that first step. I did, and so far it has been one of the best decisions of my life.

*crosses fingers*

firemedic07

Forum Probie
I started out as a Firefighter, still am but since its pretty much a requirement to get your emt i did and i now work for an ambulance company, we run 911 calls we are paramedic level and i love it.

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the responses, I put a call into the one ambulance district to inquire on a ride. Of course, some older posts on this site mention their program has a really long waiting list even for the EMT (St. Charles County, MO) so now have to debate either to wait on that one if I decide to go ahead, or tack on a lot of driving to one by my work. Hopefully will find out more next week on all that.

There are a lot of Fire Districts in St.Louis that allow civilian Ride a Longs ^_^

Where are you looking at taking your EMT-B course at?

If you have any questions about local programs feel free to PM me, there are alot of choices in the St.Louis/St.Charles area.

Many of which will be starting this January (spring semester)