For those of you with the power strykers

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Do you have any different rules for them than use with the normal stretchers? We are supposed to be rolling them out in the new few months, and there are several different rules for use that don't make a ton of sense compared to the old rules.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
2 person loading at all times instead of just one (which isn't always followed). That's the only different rule for us.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I never had any different rules. I went from manual Strykers at one agency, to power at another, back to manual at a third.

I miss pushing a single button to lift the equivalent of 5 of me... but then again I now have firefighters who love to prove they have muscles.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Eh, we have both at my agency, and there aren't different rules. I have a supervisor that insists we must assist it when raising the gurney, but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
There is talk here about the 2 person rule, with the justification being they are heavier. Several of us have pointed out that with the old gurneys we did 2 people lifts as needed, and that they've trusted us to use our judgement up until now.

For those with the 2 person rule, have there been any issues with people being off balance when lifting?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There is talk here about the 2 person rule, with the justification being they are heavier. Several of us have pointed out that with the old gurneys we did 2 people lifts as needed, and that they've trusted us to use our judgement up until now.

For those with the 2 person rule, have there been any issues with people being off balance when lifting?

Yes there had been a major issue with that. We have it as a rule that is not enforced due to no one actually feeling safe lifting.

You are off balance and with the type 2s there isn't alot of room for the person on the left side of the gurney.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Only ever used the power strykers. I don't think they are that heavy but then again I've never used a manual one.

Only rule we have is no student lifts/touches a patient laden gurney. Apparently an I student dropped the gurney on the lift into the truck so non-employees don't touch the gurney when there's a patient on it.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
At my company, we only use the power ferno (not styker) for NICU transports, and it's a two person lift always (too heavy), and we push down at the ends while we raise it and pull up while it's going down so it don't shake too much, but that's with a neonatal in a box/isolette, I can't imagine it would shake much for an adult. The power ones require you to hold the gurney and wait for the under carriage to go up completely before putting it in like the x frames ferno gurneys we have, it's weird if you're used to the h frame strykers which you just push in and don't really need someone to lift the undercarriage (although it's nice/easier if someone does).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
2-person lift rule

They are def. heavier. Not to the point where it is too heavey but what's the point of saving two lifts if the other two are ~50lbs heavier. Smaller people I'm fine lifting solo but most pts are a two-point for me.

I like being able to lower the gurney all the way to the floor but I would trade for manual strykers any day of the week

18G

Paramedic
We have a power Stryker and no special rules. The crew uses their own judgement. If it's a obese person than both crew members lift when loading/unloading. If normal size patient than just one person lifts.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
We use the power stryker and have no special rules. I haven't noticed the weight being a problem.

Joe

Forum Captain
whats been mentioned already. 2 person lift when loading and such. its usually not followed tho. since i am new i always ask for an assist but i have noticed the old timers just throw it in there no lift assist. i personally LOVE the powerpro gurneys and stairchairs. its so nice to lift a 200+ with the push of a button haha