For the Women Paramedics...unless guys wear sports bra's

Sasha

Forum Chief
Because this is the ladies issues thread, apparently, I'm going to ask - does anyone have hair gel recommendations? I have very curly (OK, so it's more, "outrageous untamed jungle") hair, and need to keep it under control, but I haven't found any that don't have a strong "hair product" smell. I don't want to give my patients an allergic reaction to my hair on top of what they're already dealing with.

(PS, don't say cut it - it's even wilder and more unprofessional when it's short)

I used some aussie product when I used hair gel. It didn't seem to smell if you used small amounts and kind of brushed it through your hair rather than heaping it onto your hair.

I don't use hair gel anymore, though. I blow dry or flat iron it and put it up and it seems to do a pretty good job of staying tame, but it's also not curly! :p

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
I blow dry or flat iron it and put it up and it seems to do a pretty good job of staying tame, but it's also not curly! :p

Ha ha, here's what I look like when I use heat on my hair:
bride.gif

I don't know how the pt would feel seeing that coming at him. Right now I've just been braiding it after my shower, and it stays OK, but without the gel the hairs up top kind of fly away. I don't really want them getting onto/into a patient, tho! I'll have to check out the Aussie stuff.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Because this is the ladies issues thread, apparently, I'm going to ask - does anyone have hair gel recommendations? I have very curly (OK, so it's more, "outrageous untamed jungle") hair, and need to keep it under control, but I haven't found any that don't have a strong "hair product" smell. I don't want to give my patients an allergic reaction to my hair on top of what they're already dealing with.

(PS, don't say cut it - it's even wilder and more unprofessional when it's short)

I've got the same problem, and I'd also love to know if anyone's got any good solutions. My hair is wavy rather than curly, but it likes to stand out in all directions. My best bet so far has been to use a heavy conditioner every time I wash it, which seems to weigh it down. I also use clips to keep the worst areas down, and try to keep an eye on it. Wetting my brush before putting it up also seems to help. It's still a big hassle, and I'm not that happy with it.

Can't just put it up while it's still wet when I'm in a humid climate (hair mildew has to be one of the nastiest things ever), but that's usually my best option otherwise.

I also avoid anything that smells, as I'm allergic. I once found some that didn't set me off, but they stopped making it... :(

4mysins

Forum Probie
I use Tresemme Curls in mine to activate the curls. If I don't my hair is all kinked up. Its great I can throw some in my hair while its wet and walk out the door. By the middle of the morning its all curly. I love it!

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
heavy conditioner every time I wash it, which seems to weigh it down.

I did notice a big jump in controlability when I started shopping in the "Ethnic Haircare" section of the drug store. For shampoo and conditioner, I now use the olive oil stuff, and that's cut down on the chemical smell /a lot/, but I still get fly aways.:wacko:

4mysins

Forum Probie
Save the Ta-Ta's on this matter from a woman that was once a size 42FF and now a 36C go with the Racer Back Sports bras. They have the ones for maxium support and are great on the pocket. Wally World carries some good ones from what I have found. Trust me this is coming from a woman that had to Hire the Army Corp of Engineers to design bras for me. Thank God those days are over!

emtbuff

Forum Captain
this is in response to the hair part. I also use aussie which works well. I have a friend who recommended using a brand called Catwalk. My friends found it in the salon portion of walmart and other salons. She says it works well. I don't go to walmart when the salons open so i haven't tried it yet.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I did notice a big jump in controlability when I started shopping in the "Ethnic Haircare" section of the drug store. For shampoo and conditioner, I now use the olive oil stuff, and that's cut down on the chemical smell /a lot/, but I still get fly aways.:wacko:

Head & Shoulders has been my best bet, oddly enough. I have no idea why. But even with it, my hair gets wisps that stand as much as five inches straight out from my head, so I'm still always looking for alternatives. No luck with the ethnic stuff yet, but still trying.

If you've got really stiff or coarse hair, Mane & Tail might work well too. It was originally for horses, but I think they market to people now too. Some girls I know with fine hair swear by it too, although it didn't work so well for me.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Ha ha, I tried horse shampoo before it was popular! But that was mostly because I was at the barn and needed to clean up before going into town, so I jumped in the washrack with my horse's stuff, heh. Oh, and I was 12.

It didn't work so great for me either. Left too much residue. I used head and shoulders up until recently - they've changed their formula, and now it smells like that stuff they use for perms.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Ha ha, I tried horse shampoo before it was popular! But that was mostly because I was at the barn and needed to clean up before going into town, so I jumped in the washrack with my horse's stuff, heh. Oh, and I was 12.

It didn't work so great for me either. Left too much residue. I used head and shoulders up until recently - they've changed their formula, and now it smells like that stuff they use for perms.

Ha, me too! But I'll admit to doing it since I was that age, if I'm really gross...

I'd noticed that with their classic formula. Oddly enough, now the "ocean clean" or whatever it's called doesn't make me sneeze anymore. It also doesn't work as well, though.

Lady Starhawk

Forum Ride Along
Finally, a topic I can confidently jump in on. ^_^

I have very long, coarse, curly/wavy hair that becomes very big in humid weather. I don't like using gel, and even the best conditioner doesn't tame it down. Mousse is where it's at for me. Some of the 'weaker' formulas hold without looking wet, and the curling formulas tend to keep things in their place well (and give me ringlets). There are also conditioning mousses as well. Some are stronger scented than others. Aussie and Fructis are what I use most often. The Fructis curling mousse is my favorite of everything I have used, a little fruity smelling right away, but that fades away as it dries.

YMMV.
Lady Starhawk

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant

We always just use cheap people shampoo on the horses....it doesn't really seem to make a difference. And if the horse is grey or has white markings we use shampoo for old people with white hair.....or Soft Scrub cleaner.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
The only time I used people shampoo on my horse was when she would get into tar weed in the summer, and get it all over her face. I'd use Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo to get it off, so it wouldn't hurt if it got in her eyes. Then in the winter she'd get mud fever, so I'd use super strength dandruff shampoo and it cleared it right up.

Now I'm wondering what would happen to my hair if I used Show Sheen on it. The elastics would probably all fall out.

heh, once before a Pony Club rally I used a color enhancing shampoo on her (she was bright chestnut) and it turned her socks bright pink. So then I used bluing to try and get them white again. I ended up with a horse with fuschia markings. Oooops.

On topic: Equestrian catalogs often have great sports bras too.

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member
Dear Bras ,
I hate you. I mean could you really be any more uncomfortable at the worst of times!?. I am a sad 32A (i really do not like the size but I digress) Here is my issue with you bras. A cute bra means after a few hours the straps are on my nerves,and with a push up bra, bending over sometimes isnt the best idea, as small as they are, they still can come out. The other issue is with sports bras, as practical as they may be, I dislike them because i become a 12 year old girl again. Sad sad picture, I assure you. I become a flat chested girl, which makes me sad. Let alone im sure people are thinking " where are her breasts?" So thats my love hate relationship with you bras. Thanks :)

Love,
My Boobs

OP
OP
WannaBeFlight

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Too Cute!! :D

Dear Bras ,
I hate you. I mean could you really be any more uncomfortable at the worst of times!?. I am a sad 32A (i really do not like the size but I digress) Here is my issue with you bras. A cute bra means after a few hours the straps are on my nerves,and with a push up bra, bending over sometimes isnt the best idea, as small as they are, they still can come out. The other issue is with sports bras, as practical as they may be, I dislike them because i become a 12 year old girl again. Sad sad picture, I assure you. I become a flat chested girl, which makes me sad. Let alone im sure people are thinking " where are her breasts?" So thats my love hate relationship with you bras. Thanks :)

Love,
My Boobs

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member

piranah

Forum Captain
im just going to state this again....best thread on emtlife..EVER...lol :b

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member
LOL dork :)