Flutter Valves

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
It's long... 3.5", I believe. It worked like a champ in the last guy I popped. :)
That's what we use as well...I can't remember the exact length, but I believe our 10 ga angiocaths in the decompression kit are 3.5". I checked last week after I read a study on needle decompression on RESUSME, but I've already forgotten. :p

That being said, my friend did bring up the flutter valve issue to our MD the other day, and he still wants us to use them. I can't really speak to the efficacy of them, since I've only decompressed one chest, and it was on an intubated patient where I used a 3 way stopcock.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Sorry I don't know the exact size off hand, but I'll pull the chest decompression kit tonight and take a look. :). I know it's a 14 and at least a 3.25, and we're only allowed to use the midaxillary line.

Luno

OG
Premium Member

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Sorry I don't know the exact size off hand, but I'll pull the chest decompression kit tonight and take a look. :). I know it's a 14 and at least a 3.25, and we're only allowed to use the midaxillary line.

I just checked our kit, and the 10ga angiocath is 3" long.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

Ouch that's a big boy needle.

We use 14g for adults here. No fancy premade kit either. We just take out a 14g angiocath and remove the flash cap. (We don't carry the auto retracting IV needles)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Ouch that's a big boy needle.

We use 14g for adults here. No fancy premade kit either. We just take out a 14g angiocath and remove the flash cap. (We don't carry the auto retracting IV needles)

Still infinitely smaller than a 36fr chest tube.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That's pretty disappointing if I can learn something new while instructing I welcome it. An attitude like that stifles good medicine.

Since when is the status-quo EMS about medicine?

And I haven't made a flutter valve w/ the two I've done in the field. We don't carry extension tubing(ugh!) or stopcocks either.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Per our OMD Education /Tac-Med guy, "we haven't used those in ten years because they're worthless."

Nothing like multiple standards to make life confusing.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

3.25" 14g here. All packaged up with a commercial valve and betadine swabs.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
3.25" 14g here. All packaged up with a commercial valve and betadine swabs.

You always have to one up me Rob!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Way back when, Sac City FD ambulances carried 3.5 - 4.0 inch 12 ga angiocaths specifically for this purpose. I do not know if they have them any longer. Most of the private companies I have worked for used the longest 14ga angios they could find, if we didn't have them on the truck, we could simply use one of our regular 14ga angiocaths, but with the understanding that they might be a bit short on some patients... I've yet to do a needle decompression.