Flight Paramedic, Ask Me Anything

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Ninja edit for niceness. Sideline? Sure. Lets go with that.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I didn't read triemal's post as particularly snarky. He even mentioned that not all programs do this, but I think this may be true more often than we want to admit. I see what I think of as "quality" programs that are extremely serious about safety and weather parameters still willing to take any patient to any logistically feasible destination. I understand that from the bottom line perspective, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating to see them take a BLS patient from a scene when ambulances are available or a stable, conscious, and likely non surgical head bleed with a saline lock in place.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Over-utilization in HEMS has always been an issue - just like it is with ground ALS - and it has gotten much worse since the early 2000's, when the American HEMS fleet has roughly tripled in size (with the majority of the newer HEMS bases concentrated around urban centers, FWIW).

It is also true that a majority of transports are not life-threatening; this has been proven in the literature repeatedly. I've commented numerous times on this forum about the lowering of "average patient acuity" and thus experience levels among both HEMS crew members and ground paramedics due to increasing numbers of paramedics and helicopters.
I'm glad you agree. It is a major problem with the cause being rooted in several factors, none of which are very likely to change anytime soon. A large part of the issue is still not just the number of rotary-wing companies, but that companies are being requested (both from the scene and by hospitals) to take patients who don't have a real need for a helicopter, and then agreeing to take those patients. Granted, this is due in part to the amount of competition, as well as the cost of running a company. The more this happens, and the more people (both in and out of the hospital) continue to request a helo without thinking about if one is actually needed, or having the ability to really determine if one is needed, and then get that helo, the longer this pattern will continue.

That said, the type of really underhanded practices alluded to here are really only common among a few (albeit large) community-based, corporate programs. A majority of programs don't operate that way. That's why in any of the numerous other threads on this forum where I replied to questions about getting into HEMS, I always say that it's very hard to get into a quality program. It's not necessarily that hard to get a job with one of the bottom-feeders.
Really underhanded? If you mean pushing the envelope for weather conditions I certainly hope so, and to be fair my personal opinion is that doesn't happen a huge amount. If you mean not refusing to take patients who don't have a medical need...well...not so much.

I always love the snipes from the sideline experts. Contributes so much to the discussion.

Maybe Epipusher and triemal04 should just start a thread called "Never Been a Flight Paramedic, But Still Ask Me Anything."
Actually, if you can check your ego at the door I think you'll find that you don't have a lot to be upset about. Given that you actually AGREED with most of my assessment of the situation...is it just that a non-flight medic is pointing out current problems with rotary-wing EMS?

I know that across the US there are plenty of good rotary-wing EMS companies that are nothing like what I'm talking about. There are plenty that, as I said, depending on the area's geography, population density, available medical resources and local competition will be quite different from lesser companies. Just like I know that when flight medic's and RN's are able to check their ego's and be truthful they'll agree with what I said.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Man, when I saw this post, and saw it was already at 4 pages I initially thought it was going to be a gold mine of information.

Turns out, it's got a few good insightful and educational posts, but mostly just a bunch of sniping back and forth. I think the OP wasn't looking for his post to go this route.

Problems are everywhere in EMS... Can this thread get back to being informational?

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Man, when I saw this post, and saw it was already at 4 pages I initially thought it was going to be a gold mine of information.

Turns out, it's got a few good insightful and educational posts, but mostly just a bunch of sniping back and forth. I think the OP wasn't looking for his post to go this route.

Problems are everywhere in EMS... Can this thread get back to being informational?

Completely agree. If anyone has question's ask away. I am sure the OP, Remi, and I would like to get it back on track as well.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Coincidentally, at the time I wrote that I was taking a break from studying CAMTS and my ResQ Shop modules. Been studying for a few months intermittently, but most recently hitting it hard - 2-3 a day for the last 2 weeks. I have the ACE book and Faudree's Study Guide. I am sitting the FP-C in two weeks -expensive little buggar, $435. Getting ready to "rock and roll!" ;)

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Coincidentally, at the time I wrote that I was taking a break from studying CAMTS and my ResQ Shop modules. Been studying for a few months intermittently, but most recently hitting it hard - 2-3 a day for the last 2 weeks. I have the ACE book and Faudree's Study Guide. I am sitting the FP-C in two weeks -expensive little buggar, $435. Getting ready to "rock and roll!" ;)

I am sure the above is sufficient to pass. Good luck.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
weight requirements for FP? i would like head in that direction with my career. but im 6'4 and im a gym rat with some meat on me.

OP
OP
tydek07

tydek07

Forum Captain
weight requirements for FP? i would like head in that direction with my career. but im 6'4 and im a gym rat with some meat on me.
Weight is service dependent. A lot of factors go into what they allow their crew to weigh. We operate an EC145 and our weight requirement is 240lbs. Very few of our crew members are close to weighing that, but that is where is it set. After talking with others it seems our weight requirement is higher then a lot out there.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Weight is service dependent. A lot of factors go into what they allow their crew to weigh. We operate an EC145 and our weight requirement is 240lbs. Very few of our crew members are close to weighing that, but that is where is it set. After talking with others it seems our weight requirement is higher then a lot out there.

For sure, my program is 210lbs, which is tough for alot of guys because if you're tall you better be lean as hell. Other programs around my area are 225lbs.

tydek07, does your program have weight restriction for the pilots?

OP
OP
tydek07

tydek07

Forum Captain
CANMAN, The 240lbs is for everyone, including the pilots.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
210-240 seems standard with rotor from what I've seen. My fixed wing service had no limit, as do some other fixed wing only operations. Life flight around here is 260, which is the highest rotor limit I've seen

YoungMedic

Forum Probie
So i decided last year about furthering my carrer in some direction. I have been working as a Firefighter for 11 years, been paramedic for the last 5 and EMT before that. I got into the fire service intially because of the EMS aspect that is asociated with it. I love EMS, love medical and trauma. But really wanted to expand my knowledge, want to teach others, be the person people could count on. So i told myself get another job in the hospital setting, (behind the look, kinda thing) I now have been working as a EKG tech for a year for one hospital, and ER tech for another hospital. Im still on the fence rather to go flight medic or nursing. But FCP is the real reason i have been taking the leeps to increase my skills. i bought a flight medic review book, which i honestly havent really dove into much. Some of it is over my head. I Will be attending conferences when i can, and prep class for CCP and FCP this year.
The fire department i currently work for is not a big department, 2 stations, about 750 calls a year.
My questions are:
Should i try CCP ground before pursuing Flight?, is ground experience requried ?

Would the jobs i currently have be looked at in a positive way for later applying for FCP jobs ?

Should i just get a part time job with the local ambulance company? (AMR) it doesnt have the best reputaion for this area.

Also thought about getting my AA in paramedicine, would that help ?

Im worried that my lack of actually working on a ambulance might hurt me.
Arizona is where i reside.

thanks!!

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
So i decided last year about furthering my carrer in some direction. I have been working as a Firefighter for 11 years, been paramedic for the last 5 and EMT before that. I got into the fire service intially because of the EMS aspect that is asociated with it. I love EMS, love medical and trauma. But really wanted to expand my knowledge, want to teach others, be the person people could count on. So i told myself get another job in the hospital setting, (behind the look, kinda thing) I now have been working as a EKG tech for a year for one hospital, and ER tech for another hospital. Im still on the fence rather to go flight medic or nursing. But FCP is the real reason i have been taking the leeps to increase my skills. i bought a flight medic review book, which i honestly havent really dove into much. Some of it is over my head. I Will be attending conferences when i can, and prep class for CCP and FCP this year.
The fire department i currently work for is not a big department, 2 stations, about 750 calls a year.
My questions are:
Should i try CCP ground before pursuing Flight?, is ground experience requried ?

Would the jobs i currently have be looked at in a positive way for later applying for FCP jobs ?

Should i just get a part time job with the local ambulance company? (AMR) it doesnt have the best reputaion for this area.

Also thought about getting my AA in paramedicine, would that help ?

Im worried that my lack of actually working on a ambulance might hurt me.
Arizona is where i reside.

thanks!!

I will give you my honest but blunt opinion, and everyone's may vary some.

- A degree will never hurt for any job in which you are competing against a lot of people with similar looking resumes. There are a huge number of applications for a finite number of positions with most programs, and a lot of those applicants will likely have some sort of degree. That being said I would not waste your time with an AA in Emergency Health Science (Paramedicine), read the rest of my points.

- From what you described it sounds like you are firefighter who is cross-trained and does both EMS and fire? Based off your call volume there it sounds fairly slow, however your acuity might be higher then some. Generally most HEMS programs want 3-5 years minimum in a busy EMS system. In my personal opinion if being a Flight Paramedic is your goal I would ditch the EKG and ED tech job for a private job doing some sort of critical care transport to build on your 911 time. Your scope is likely limited in most hospital tech jobs, and as a Paramedic interviewing for a Flight Paramedic position it would be assumed you should know your EKG's and that position is not much of a benefit in my opinion.

-Conference and education is certainly a great thing, and I encourage you to continue in both of those, however the experience and your personality is what is going to land you a job, not the certifications. There are two trains of thought with a critical care cert like FP-C. It's certainly a great thing to have, but if your resume doesn't read as someone who has that experience to back up the credential then you're just a good test taker in a lot of programs eyes. Some places look at it as they don't have to take a risk on someone passing it later down the road, and look at it as taking initiative. I typically buy into the first train of thought on this subject when I am sitting down with candidates during interviews.

My suggestion, go to nursing school, and that is coming from a Flight Paramedic who has no desire to become a nurse. Reason being is you like working in the hospital, have voiced interest in getting a degree, and it will afford you a flight position down the road, but many more options later in life. Keep your EMT-P current and be a dual provider, some programs require both, and it's always attractive even if they don't. It will pay you more, you will have more opportunities, and will land the same flight position but you will be much further ahead when you're ready to hang up the flight helmet later in life. If you really want to go the medic route, get some transport experience and start applying, but do some research into the industry, safety, and the specific programs you are applying with. Let us know if you have further questions and good luck.

Last edited:

YoungMedic

Forum Probie
Great info and thank you for the insight.

The degree is more for me, being a person that wants to strive for the best in paramedicine. My FD wont even recognize the degree anyways..
the bonus with it also is the classes required for it are also the pre-req's for nursing school. So its a win win.

The hospital jobs i "thought" would look good for having hospital experience. Plus the EKG job i work with RT's who have taught me about ABG's, Vents ect.. But i think its time to look for an CCT type transport gig in the near future. The plan was to take the CCP-C class in december, hopefully take the test soon after. My question is, do you have to have ambulance time before being allowed to work on the CCT ?

i will probably end up doing nursing at some point in life. Already a custom to the hospital life, and thinking like you said it would be the better choice to fall back on later.

Thanks

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
The fact that you're using the hospital job to learn and take that initiative is the important thing.

When you say "do you have to have ambulance time before doing CCT" are you asking this because you ride the Engine only as a medic and have no 911 medic experience? I am trying to get a gasp on exactly what expierence you have as a medic on a unit....

YoungMedic

Forum Probie
Firefighter/Medic running on a engine.
Only medic on my shift for the past 5 years.
Theres Only one ambulance company in town. AMR who does our transports.