First Impressions

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
So I visited the department I plan to volunteer at today, and noticed a few things.
1. There are people of all types there. The guy leading me around was an EMT trainee looking to get paramedic, and diligently cleaning out rigs and whatnot. His officer, a 20-something EMT-B, left the rig un-checked when they got back (he was showing me the inventory and tools, and remarked the O2 was basically empty in both the main compartment and portable system.)
There was also a paramedic who kept calling himself the "paramagician", but he got shut up pretty soon after that.
2. The EMS and FF tend to get along well, good-natured conversation at each others expense, but both sides were laughing pretty heartily, and never once did I hear one remark on the others field of expertise.
3. They are well organized; watched 2 dispatchers move around half a dozen units for 10-15 minutes, even a tracking screen that shows the locations/statuses of the individual calls + responding units.
4. Hard working- I did not see people lying around when the tones went off, theyd listen for a sec then resume what they were doing.

What are some things I should look for in my experience to give me a better frame of reference going in?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Keep watching. Keep your mouth shut for a while. If you have to open it, then just ask questions about how things are usually done there. Take notes (Good work!). Take your time until you see more than your first impressions so you'll avoid turning first impressions into lasting judgments.

Check in here now and again, if nothing else but to see what your thoughts look like on the screen before you actually display them to others.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant
(he was showing me the inventory and tools, and remarked the O2 was basically empty in both the main compartment and portable system.)

Offer to swap out or fill the bottles, and ask how to properly do it. Showing you're eager and pitching a helping hand to do the right thing will go a long way.

However, if anyone ever tries to pull the "hey probie, fill the O2!" crap, don't take it. Ask them to either show you a policy that makes you their slave, or else they can go try to paramagic their head up someone's rectal cavity.

OP
OP
T

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I made a few friends with an ambulance crew, by helping them scrub down their rig after a rough call (and lugging the empty main O2 canister, not filling it myself).
Got slightly more respect from the rest of the station after I helped em clean up the command vehicle, and then they realized I did have some emergency care experience.
I hope to submit my completed application with references on wendesday, I talked over the three (scoutmaster, commisioned corp PCP, and former paramedic/RT family friend) with a current trainee.
Anything else I might add to the application? (aside from the information they ask)

skippy54

Forum Probie
If someone says "probie do x", do it. Don't ask to see SOG's or department policies showing where you're their slave. There's no quicker way to upset the old guard than to show disrespect like that. If someone with seniority tells you to do something, you do it. Asking them to show you how isn't a big deal, but outright refusing? You're just asking for a rough career where nobody likes you.

Especially if you're in a combination fire/ems department, do what you're told. There's very good reasons why they order you around like dirt in the first year. In life or death situations nobody has time for your opinions on what should or shouldn't be done, you're expected to do what you're told. "Probie go do x" is the foundation of that, and doing what those senior to you tell you to do is the foundation of career-long learning.

I can't tell you how much I hate every new probie that walks in to my station thinking they're such hot $*%^ because they got an emt license. I still listen to senior FF's and EMT's every day, and do precisely what I'm asked to do. If you think you have too much pride to accept authority, then fire or EMS is not the place for you. The probie stuff doesn't last forever. The first impression you give to an entire department, will.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
If someone says "probie do x", do it. Don't ask to see SOG's or department policies showing where you're their slave. There's no quicker way to upset the old guard than to show disrespect like that. If someone with seniority tells you to do something, you do it. Asking them to show you how isn't a big deal, but outright refusing? You're just asking for a rough career where nobody likes you.

Especially if you're in a combination fire/ems department, do what you're told. There's very good reasons why they order you around like dirt in the first year. In life or death situations nobody has time for your opinions on what should or shouldn't be done, you're expected to do what you're told. "Probie go do x" is the foundation of that, and doing what those senior to you tell you to do is the foundation of career-long learning.

I can't tell you how much I hate every new probie that walks in to my station thinking they're such hot $*%^ because they got an emt license. I still listen to senior FF's and EMT's every day, and do precisely what I'm asked to do. If you think you have too much pride to accept authority, then fire or EMS is not the place for you. The probie stuff doesn't last forever. The first impression you give to an entire department, will.

+1 You're not even on the totem pole yet.... Show them that you want to be there, nothing bothers me more like apathetic probie or student. Act like you want to be there, remember there's always more than a few people eager to fill your spot.

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
+1 You're not even on the totem pole yet.... Show them that you want to be there, nothing bothers me more like apathetic probie or student. Act like you want to be there, remember there's always more than a few people eager to fill your spot.

Not only eager but actively trying to get your position, and people notice. hey cap this guy is a complete tool, we told him to fill our tanks and he said, your not the boss of me. Remember that guy that dropped of his application last week? The 35 year old who just got his EMT-B, well hes in the front lobby again, asking if he can do anything to help out.

just think of it this way, basically you know nothing, everyone is your superior. If your still getting treated like crap after a certain amount of time (youll know when) then, you can maybe start in with the verbal jousting but you still better do what they say.

Others have given you the best advice and one I plan on taking my self when I start next week. Shut up, listen to everyone, take notes, study hard and ask questions if your not sure. One thing that will get you in hot water just as fast as mouthing off is thinking you know how to do anything. They will show you how to do everything, if they dont ask them how they want it done. If they scream just go do it, they are seeing how you handle tsaks you arent sure how to complete (critical thinking).

JPINFV

Gadfly

To be fair, I hate how every 'old guard' thinks that their 120 hour course and 2 years of couch sitting entitles them to treat people as dirt. There's a big difference between being a member of a team and being a slave. Sorry, but if someone is out cleaning the ambulance, then no one should be inside guarding the television.

skippy54

Forum Probie
Anyone couch sitting for two years is getting razzed for it and has his own problems. Regardless, he still has more experience than the new guy with only the 120 hour course. The new guy needs to listen, not act like he's entitled to the kingdom's keys.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The new provider needs to listen, the experienced provider needs to guide and teach, and, to be fair, listen as well. No one is entitled to the "kingdom's keys."

reaper

Working Bum
Newbie or not, If you don't question, questionable authority. You end up doing the same stupid stuff that they have been doing. Whether it is proven effective or not.

If you are new, ask questions, help out where you can and pay attention to the more experienced guys, as you will learn a lot from them. But, do not be their slave and do not be afraid to question it, if it does not seem right. Just because they have been there a while, does not mean they have a clue of how to do it right.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I think it will benefit you if you don't wait for them to ask you to do something. (ie: check off the trucks...) Being eager is key. Also.. when you pass the 'rookie' stage and settling in.. still listen to those other FFs and Medics when they do ask you something. But don't let your partner get away with not helping. Make a statement such as "I'm going to check off trucks, I could use your help" I think someone that is wanting to learn will fit in.

Stay out of the he said/ she said drama. It happens everywhere. And if you do it, you WILL be blackballed. Things will turn around and it can ruin reputations. Remain neutral, no matter who you work with, try and get along with everyone, no matter what they say about others. Just smile and try to change subject.

Keep your head up. Knowledge is power. Good luck. :)

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
To me asking questions is always a plus. It's always better to get clarification on something your unclear about, if possible ask the more experianced EMT assuming there legit and not one of those EMT's who doesn't care. First impressions are always something you should keep in mind weather it's volunteer work or ride a longs or your walking in to put an application in because you never know who you are going to come across. It might be the person who does the hiring or the owner of the company or someone who is at a higher ranking. Mine as well learn to become a good brown noser to everyone if you want to make it to a higher ranking especially with Fire Dpts. Leaving a bad impression is always a bad idea, people with the company will remember you and what you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Erm, seem to have hit it off wrong

When I said I didn't fill the O2 tanks, its because they asked me to only move them. I don't think they would want somebody with no experience restoring their equipment.
I realize that at the moment I'm not even on the ladder, but I hope that by acting mature and surpassing expectations, i can earn some respect. If that means busy work and being heckled by more advanced members for a short while, then so be it. You gotta give something to receive anything back.
Thanks for all the advice, I want to land running.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, changing O2 tanks is a pretty easy task, but if you were going to swap out the M cylinder it would probably be a good idea to get a second set of hands anyways.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not in any way associated with a FD, but i think there's a fine line between fair hazing and "probie do", and harassment... if they tell you to do something that needs to be done, do it. if it's blatant harassment, maybe you should show a little back bone, don't make a scene, just let them know you're no one's b****. thats just my opinion anyway... and my attitude does get me into trouble from time to time.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not in any way associated with a FD, but i think there's a fine line between fair hazing and "probie do", and harassment... if they tell you to do something that needs to be done, do it. if it's blatant harassment, maybe you should show a little back bone, don't make a scene, just let them know you're no one's b****. thats just my opinion anyway... and my attitude does get me into trouble from time to time.

Ya it seems that way no offense. I think when you start out at a company no matter what the line of work is you kind of are the B@@@H. Every where you go you have to start somewhere and pretty much do whatever it takes to get to the top even if that means spit shinning the floor again for the third time in a day. Upper management wants to see that you'll be willing to do just about everything they ask so they know they can count on you and that you as a person are willing to do whatever it takes to reach your goals. Samething with Fire Dpts. they want to know that your willing to do whatever it takes, paying your due's so to speak.

OP
OP
T

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
As of right now, being disciplined and respectful seems to tone down any hazing (replying with yes sir/no sir/yes maam/no maam). Aside from following directions (which really should be expected of a member) are there any other things that you would suggest to help me get a competitive edge going in?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
There was also a paramedic who kept calling himself the "paramagician", but he got shut up pretty soon after that.

HA! It is almost worth going to paramedic school just to start calling myself that...