First Impressions

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant
To be fair, I hate how every 'old guard' thinks that their 120 hour course and 2 years of couch sitting entitles them to treat people as dirt. There's a big difference between being a member of a team and being a slave. Sorry, but if someone is out cleaning the ambulance, then no one should be inside guarding the television.

The new provider needs to listen, the experienced provider needs to guide and teach, and, to be fair, listen as well.

These are exactly the points I was trying to make. If some asks you to do something reasonable, do it. But no one can treat you like crap just because you're new... They should be TEACHING you, not just berating you.

At my volly company, no one treats new people like crap, but they don't teach them either.

At my work, some FTOs treat their newhires horribly. They just tell them to sit in the back and not say anything and stay out of the way, and then after a month or two release them to a 911 rig with almost no experience.

NEITHER of these are the right way to go about training someone.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Man, I wish I could get released that quickly. In my area, all the services have you riding third chair for 3-6 months before release. I am not looking forward to it either. I'm hoping maybe I can set a new "early release" record, because the jumpseat is really not as comfortable as the others.

OP
OP
T

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I submitted my application (typed up, checked, and in a notarized manila folder with my name and assorted contact information on it). I was unable to hand it directly to a supervisor, as there were mostly career personnel there, so I placed it in a marked location for applications.
I want to keep myself on their radar, but do not want to be overbearing- would it be prudent to send an email to my correspondence (the one primarily in charge of the application and training process) asking him when they might send out the forms to my listed recommendations?