First Code 3 call

Veneficus

Forum Chief

GoatMan165

Forum Ride Along
Did the guy crash into a pile of beer cans, or was he carrying around his empties on his bike to recycle later?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Did the guy crash into a pile of beer cans, or was he carrying around his empties on his bike to recycle later?

My thoughts exactly, the guy was just carrying around all his empties on a motorcycle?

Either way, we DO NOT state that someone is intoxicated, it's called slander.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I like to jump to conclusions, so if he looks drunk, acts drunk, smells drunk, then usually their drunk.

Drunks and diabetics in me experience have a completely different smell and it should take you about 20 seconds to determine one from the other.

If the two medics and ten other people on scene are assuming he is drunk them I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and go with he s drunk.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
DKA is.

Hyperosmolar nonketotic coma is not.

Is that similar to hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic coma, Im assuming its just adding an extra word? we always use HHNKCon our charts and with nurses...

If people work in a rural system, then i guess i understand using 10 codes or whatever people use. We still use 1001 for a pronouncement, people are still funny about saying someone is dead clear text over the radio

And isnt everyone required to have ICS 100 to complete the Basic course?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Is that similar to hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic coma, Im assuming its just adding an extra word? we always use HHNKCon our charts and with nurses...

It's the same, there are 3 or 4 different named and abbreviations. That is why I wrote it out.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Well I like to jump to conclusions, so if he looks drunk, acts drunk, smells drunk, then usually their drunk.

Drunks and diabetics in me experience have a completely different smell and it should take you about 20 seconds to determine one from the other.

If the two medics and ten other people on scene are assuming he is drunk them I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and go with he s drunk.

This. Alot of people are getting very upset that the OP stated patient was intoxicated. Not hard to determine really.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
What does 10-50 mean?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
So we're in class last night when the tones drop and LAS (the agency I'm taking my class thru) gets paged out for a motorcycle 10-50 2 miles west of town. This is only the 4th night of class so none of us were expecting to get to do anything. Right now we're working on checking vitals and pt assessment. Instructor figured it would be a good chance to get hands on in the field. We load up in one rig and 2 medics and 1 intermed go in the first due rig. We get there and rescue 1 with the medics clears the scene and gets access to the pt. We students (theres only 4 of us) pile out and take notes on what's going on. Pt is unresponsive to painful stimuli, severley intoxicated, and laying 100 feet down the road from where the motorcycle is laying in the ditch. Medics get c-spine, board, o2, load and get ready to go. Instructor picked me and 1 other kid to go with them. It was cramped to say the least. Went code 3 to the ER and made the report, cleaned out, stocked up, and headed back. Spent 2 hours talking about the call and discussing what we learned.

Congratulations on your first EMS high. All these people have experienced the same thing, and have said stuff that wasn't correct, were over-the-top enthusiastic, and were flat out squirrelly in their time. Don't let them trick ya, man.

Don't run away from the criticism, just note it and move on. There are plenty more mistakes waiting for you to make them. You will, and you should let them hit you square so you can learn the most from them.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Maybe your instructors should spend more time looking at the FEMA and other disaster/mass casualty experiences and recommendations than what they have always done.

We need to better regulate who can be EMS instructors.

I can think of more important qualifications than whether they follow FEMA guidelines on using 10 codes as apart of an EMT class.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I can think of more important qualifications than whether they follow FEMA guidelines on using 10 codes as apart of an EMT class.

I remember my EMS instructor explicitly telling us that we aren't supposed to use 10-codes anymore, or say stupid phrases on the radio like, "Be advised...". I heard both on my first ride-along.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I remember my EMS instructor explicitly telling us that we aren't supposed to use 10-codes anymore, or say stupid phrases on the radio like, "Be advised...". I heard both on my first ride-along.

our county still uses 10 codes...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Company I did my rides with uses 10-4, 10-8, and Status 99. That is it tho the rest is all verbage.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
The only codes that my area uses (that I can think of at least) are for their responses, i.e. alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, or echo.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Ask the medics who took care of David Rosenbaum how easy it is.

OP
OP

350chevy

Forum Probie
What does 10-50 mean?

10-50 is a motor vehicle collision. 10-50 PI is persons injured, 10-50 PD is property damage. We share a freq with the county sheriff so we have to use codes that keep both agencies informed and on the same page. We're a real rural agency so we don't deal alot with urban emergencies and rarely do IFT.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

So can I, however no matter who they are, they should be aware of the current recommendations and best practices that allow interagency operations.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Don't be quick to make them intoxicated, just because they have a liter of vodka in their pocket!

If he's still got a liter of vodka in his pocket he's not drunk. :p Although he must have some big pockets to be carrying around a liter in them.

I find the trunk of my scooter is a great place to store my empty beer cans.