First Code 3 call

350chevy

Forum Probie
So we're in class last night when the tones drop and LAS (the agency I'm taking my class thru) gets paged out for a motorcycle 10-50 2 miles west of town. This is only the 4th night of class so none of us were expecting to get to do anything. Right now we're working on checking vitals and pt assessment. Instructor figured it would be a good chance to get hands on in the field. We load up in one rig and 2 medics and 1 intermed go in the first due rig. We get there and rescue 1 with the medics clears the scene and gets access to the pt. We students (theres only 4 of us) pile out and take notes on what's going on. Pt is unresponsive to painful stimuli, severley intoxicated, and laying 100 feet down the road from where the motorcycle is laying in the ditch. Medics get c-spine, board, o2, load and get ready to go. Instructor picked me and 1 other kid to go with them. It was cramped to say the least. Went code 3 to the ER and made the report, cleaned out, stocked up, and headed back. Spent 2 hours talking about the call and discussing what we learned.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
So we're in class last night when the tones drop and LAS (the agency I'm taking my class thru) gets paged out for a motorcycle 10-50 2 miles west of town. This is only the 4th night of class so none of us were expecting to get to do anything. Right now we're working on checking vitals and pt assessment. Instructor figured it would be a good chance to get hands on in the field. We load up in one rig and 2 medics and 1 intermed go in the first due rig. We get there and rescue 1 with the medics clears the scene and gets access to the pt. We students (theres only 4 of us) pile out and take notes on what's going on. Pt is unresponsive to painful stimuli, severley intoxicated, and laying 100 feet down the road from where the motorcycle is laying in the ditch. Medics get c-spine, board, o2, load and get ready to go. Instructor picked me and 1 other kid to go with them. It was cramped to say the least. Went code 3 to the ER and made the report, cleaned out, stocked up, and headed back. Spent 2 hours talking about the call and discussing what we learned.

Was not using radio codes part of the discussion?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So, with him being unresponsive, how could you tell he was "severely intoxicated"?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
So, with him being unresponsive, how could you tell he was "severely intoxicated"?

My thoughts exactly...btw, I wouldn't make it a habit of saying that.

jrm818

Forum Captain
It's easy to tell if you do a proper assessment. I'm sure he looked like this:

images

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Let's keep it polite and on topic please.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Apparently, some places still use radio codes? i thought that was phased out like 10 years ago?

Unless the guy had a liter of vodka in his pocket, dont be quick to make every MVC cause ETOH, i know you said you just started, but keep that in mind when you get to Diabetic Emergencies

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Apparently, some places still use radio codes? i thought that was phased out like 10 years ago?

Some people just never catch on.

Some have never had a large enough emergency with multiple agencies or providers from all over or different backgrounds trying to commnicate effectively either.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Welcome to EMTlife where, green as they come, you can share your first calls and feel comfortable because you know everyone understands what it meant to be an FNG and enthused about actually experiencing something and strives to be supportive at every level!

That's on topic, ain't it?

reaper

Working Bum

Unless the guy had a liter of vodka in his pocket, dont be quick to make every MVC cause ETOH, i know you said you just started, but keep that in mind when you get to Diabetic Emergencies

Don't be quick to make them intoxicated, just because they have a liter of vodka in their pocket! ;)

OP
OP

350chevy

Forum Probie
We are being taught ot use ten codes and the agencies around here use specialized ems codes for the type of call. And there were beer cans all around the scene and the smell was god awful. When he woke up in the rig en route to the ED he was slurring speech excessively, uncoordinated, and blew double drunk on a breathalizer at the hospital. Also one of our instructors declared him to be so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
We are being taught ot use ten codes and the agencies around here use specialized ems codes for the type of call.

Maybe your instructors should spend more time looking at the FEMA and other disaster/mass casualty experiences and recommendations than what they have always done.

We need to better regulate who can be EMS instructors.

reaper

Working Bum
Come on Vene, the ones that can't do, have to be able to teach! What else would they have to talk about.