First Clinical

EMSDan

Forum Probie
Tomorrow night will be my first ambulance clinical, I've currently been in EMT school for 5 weeks. So far I've been loving every moment of it, and I'm very excited to finally get out there. I wanted to know if anyone had any good advice, or wanted to share their first clinical stories.

By the way, I was unsure as to whether or not this is a common thread because I am a new member. I did a search however, and nothing came up. EMTLife has some great info, glad to be apart of the community.

18G

Paramedic
It will be pretty cool for ya to get on an ambulance for what I'm assuming to be the first time. It's an opportunity for learning so be sure to ask about anything you are uncertain of and have fun with it. Observe everything while your there and hopefully you have good preceptors who will actually teach and not just see you as a tag along.

Let us know how it goes.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Ask plenty of questions! Clinicals are what you make them.

OP
OP
EMSDan

EMSDan

Forum Probie
I'll definitely post again to let you all know how it goes. I appreciate all the comments!

emtgirl515

Forum Probie
Pretty much what has already been said.

Observe and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Be sure to get to know where things are in the ambulance. It comes in handy and will help you feel more comfortable.

I hope you have a great first clinical & get a good preceptor that likes to teach! Have fun!!

OP
OP
EMSDan

EMSDan

Forum Probie
So my first clinical went very well! I got lucky and was able to ride with my lead instructor from school. We only had two calls that night (I'm guessing Sundays are slow) but I learned a lot from them. From the moment we went lights and sirens I knew that this is what I want to do with my life. Just as we got to the first call I had to wipe the smile off my face as we approached.

First call was for 3 m/o female abnormal breathing. Turned out to be frightened parents who I'm guessing just fed her too fast. I didn't really get to do much, but I enjoyed watching my instructor handle the situation.

The second call was for a 65 y/o female who tripped over her cat and fell against the coffee table. For this call they had me do everything from the initial assessment all the way to giving the ER nurse the full report. I felt crepitus, heard rhonchi in her lungs, applied oxygen, performed all vital signs, pretty much everything. I was very glad to have such great preceptors.

By the end of the night I wanted more calls, but I guess I was fortunate to have these two "starter" calls that I was able to handle. I'm definitely looking forward to my next clinicals.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
That's great. The fact that they let you "get your hands dirty" on your first run means they felt confident enough with your skills to let you use them. Being with your instructor probably helped since he/she knew your skill level and how much you were capable of. Congrats.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Most important lesson learned!

Just as we got to the first call I had to wipe the smile off my face as we approached.

Welcome to the sandbox; You have both my congratulations and condolences!

Sunyata

Forum Probie
From the moment we went lights and sirens I knew that this is what I want to do with my life. Just as we got to the first call I had to wipe the smile off my face as we approached.

I know that feeling! That is awesome that you got some hands on experience with your first ride along. I remember my first ride along... It was also on a Sunday, but I only had one call... A transport from an emergent care center to the ED for a suspected MI where the pt's pain had already subsided.

Good luck and I hope you have as much fun on the rest of your ride alongs!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
So far I've been loving every moment of it

Give it time....that'll pass.

I wanted to know if anyone had any good advice

1. Eyes and ears open
2. Remember you know very little so ask questions. Most preceptors don't bite.
3. If you're at station with no calls, make sure you're studying or practicing your skills. Don't just sit around and watch TV.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Isn't it exciting? I remember calling my instructor after my first actual clinical call ( I was a white cloud through EMT school.. it was probably my third ride) and going "I felt crepitus! CREPITUS!!!!"

What school do you go to, if you don't mind me asking?

Sasha

Forum Chief
3. If you're at station with no calls, make sure you're studying or practicing your skills. Don't just sit around and watch TV.

That's unrealistic if they are at a slow station. You can only study for so long.

My school had that same rule, and I was too nervous to break it. Ten hours in, no calls, I found myself just staring blankly at my book day dreaming.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
I have to agree with Sasha, you can only study for so long before it is unproductive. The other thing is most preceptors do not want to have to talk their entire shift just because they have a student. If you have questions they are glad to answer them, but if you were to talk non-stop it gets annoying really quick:p

The more time you spend in the field as a student, you will learn to balance studying, talking with preceptors, and just relaxing for awhile.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Boo. Irony. I have a student today. all i want to do is nap.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
That's unrealistic if they are at a slow station. You can only study for so long.

My school had that same rule, and I was too nervous to break it. Ten hours in, no calls, I found myself just staring blankly at my book day dreaming.

Mine had the same one, and I'd just stare blankly in to space whilst the firefighters would be on the computers just slacking off. Eventually the battalion chief said he had no problem with me watching tv or whatever, since I clearly knew my stuff.

Even as a damn 3rd rider paid employee, I was expected to study the protocols... even though I already got a 100% on the protocol test...

Now as my own medic, I sleep, watch tv, or play PS3 as I realize there's only so much studying you can do before it doesn't mean anything... for me, that limit was about 5 minutes.

I want students to learn / study, but I also understand that in EMS you get rest while you can. If I'm passed out, the student can do. If I'm watching TV, the student can too. If I'm working, they're working.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I freaked out and cleaned everything. They told me I should quit college and become a maid. :/ During down time I'd poke around and look at their equipment. It's interesting to see what kinda stuff some agencies have.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
EMSDan

EMSDan

Forum Probie
I was told the same thing. It got to a point where three hours in after no calls they told me I could take it easy and relax. I responded with "Clearly this is a trap" and continued studying. Hopefully I won't be studying too much tonight, as I have my second clinical.