Financial constraint question

Ncmedic38

Forum Ride Along
As funding constraints for EMS become increasingly more common, yet the expectations of the level of service grow, how can an EMS service maximize the services offered without an increase in budgetary needs?

savemachine

Forum Crew Member
Actually, the employer must see the need to increase the budget for a wider scope of responsibility and service. There must be an increase or a bonus to at least motivate and appreciate the EMS employees.

We can maximize the service with the available equipments and time management on hand, but when it comes to manpower, we need cultivation of skills, time management, and there goes the budgeting to finance the need for additional manpower or enhancement of manpower.

Here is the link that talks about EMS wages, check this out.

http://pacificmedicaltraining.com/ems-wages.html

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Sounds like a homework question.
A similar iteration of this question was asked in my interview. We recently switched from being an ambulance district to a health services district, which lets us get around some of the regulatory hurdles associated with out mobile integrated health program, which is primarily done by on duty ambulance staff. We are working on becoming an AHA training center and an initial state EMS education program so we can offer a variety of courses, this will again likely be tasked in part to some of the on duty crews. We have a large district that necessitates a certain amount of staffing redundancy, so while we are fairly busy for a service of our demographics, we have the staff to participate in non-traditional EMS tasks. These initiatives at the very least are self funding, with the goal of turning a profit on them. The hope is that we as employees eventually see that in our checks, which is where the big issues comes in. Job duties being expanded without an increase in compensation does not make for a happy staff.

savemachine

Forum Crew Member
I believe that in the county where I live in Virginia which is Fairfax County, there have been some restrictions with money in the EMS systems. Some of the important things that the EMS offers like trips to schools for talking are being cut and some of the workers had to cut their hours which means less money. That was some time ago. I think that the budget now is much better.

savemachine

Forum Crew Member
The whole company and EMS unit needs to meet and come together. They need to do a brainstorm ideas meeting. They need to think of ways in which to keep the budget in the clear and what services to cut and what not to cut. It can be done, but it really needs a lot of research capabilities.