Fell asleep and got caught.... oops

Sasha

Forum Chief
One person in the ambulance and hit siren partner can run back to ambulance problem solved.

You sound like you'd be boring to work with. So, that person who is now alone in the ambulance, no one to talk to, what if he falls asleep out of boredom and little sleep the night before? How do you decide who gets to get outta the ambulance and walk around in the mall while you're holding for going on three hours?

And why can you not just go "on pager"? that's what the pager is for, afterall.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
How do you decide who gets to get outta the ambulance and walk around in the mall while you're holding for going on three hours?

Why would you be out of the ambulance walking around the mall? How fast can you get back to your ambulance in a crowded mall?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why would you be out of the ambulance walking around the mall? How fast can you get back to your ambulance in a crowded mall?

Because we were bored, and allowed by our service. Keep in mind, I did mainly IFT where there chance is extremely extremely limited that you would get an emergency call, especiallly on a BLS truck

medic417

The Truth Provider
Because we were bored, and allowed by our service. Keep in mind, I did mainly IFT where there chance is extremely extremely limited that you would get an emergency call, especiallly on a BLS truck

Thats the difference in 911 you have to rolling in 60-90 seconds in most services. In the bath room, cut it off and run. Hope you have hand cleaner in the ambulance.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
uhm....fire get's to sleep all they want.
Uhm... no they don't. They have to be up at a certain time and aren't allowed to retire until a certain time. Not to mention that they are working a 24 hour shift, not an 8 or 12. Regardless, we are not firemen, so the comparison is pointless.

I have no problem with sleeping in the ambulance, so long as it is both allowed and done in the back of the ambulance. Personally, I never had a problem with sleeping through a pager or walkie talkie alert, so there was no need for anyone to stay awake to monitor. If neither of you can handle that, then you don't need to be sleeping and should be fired when you miss the call.

But I agree that sleeping up front, in the public eye, is both unprofessional and dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you!

Uhm... no they don't. They have to be up at a certain time and aren't allowed to retire until a certain time. Not to mention that they are working a 24 hour shift, not an 8 or 12. Regardless, we are not firemen, so the comparison is pointless.

I have no problem with sleeping in the ambulance, so long as it is both allowed and done in the back of the ambulance. Personally, I never had a problem with sleeping through a pager or walkie talkie alert, so there was no need for anyone to stay awake to monitor. If neither of you can handle that, then you don't need to be sleeping and should be fired when you miss the call.

But I agree that sleeping up front, in the public eye, is both unprofessional and dangerous.

AJ is quite correct. In fire it is a 24 and you are basically assigned sleep time. You better be ready to sleep then otherwise your SOL.

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Some EMS services do 24 hr shifts. It's not that outlandish. They can go back to a base to sleep or they can do it on the rig. I'd rather sleep in the rig at my post.

I don't see the problem with sleeping in the front. I'm guessing most of the issue is how we look to the public. The fact is we work long and strange hours so I don't believe we would be looked down on for catching a few Zs whenever we can.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
I have worked 24's for my company. Some times we are not allowed to go to a base and sleep. at points we are made to post in a parking lot for like hours. When I work a 24 I try to sleep when I get a chance. I also, can sleep heavier on a couch than in the truck. I have also trained myself to listen to the radio. when we do sleep we pick an out of sight place so no one will see us, maybe a cop here and there.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Some EMS services do 24 hr shifts. It's not that outlandish. They can go back to a base to sleep or they can do it on the rig. I'd rather sleep in the rig at my post.

I don't see the problem with sleeping in the front. I'm guessing most of the issue is how we look to the public. The fact is we work long and strange hours so I don't believe we would be looked down on for catching a few Zs whenever we can.

We do 24's, 48's, 72's, 96's, 120's sometimes more. The public does not understand our hours. Heck the citys and countys don't understand our hours so how can we presume that the public would understand why we are asleep in public view?

Sasha

Forum Chief
We do 24's, 48's, 72's, 96's, 120's sometimes more. The public does not understand our hours. Heck the citys and countys don't understand our hours so how can we presume that the public would understand why we are asleep in public view?

Because the people on all the cool EMS shows work 24 hour shifts, so ALL EMTs/Medics must work 24 hour shifts.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Here is my employers 'napping' policy. If the railroads can work something out, EMS should be able also.

1.11 Sleeping
Employees must not sleep while on duty, except as outlined under Rule 1.11.1 (Napping). Employees reclined with their eyes closed will be in violation of this rule.
1.11.1 Napping
Napping is permitted by train crews, except crews in passenger, commuter or yard service, under the following conditions:
• The crew is waiting for departure of their train.
or
• The train is stopped en route waiting to be met or passed by a train, waiting for track work, waiting for helper locomotive, or similar conditions.
Restrictions are as follows:
• A job briefing must be conducted, with agreement reached as to who will nap and who must remain awake. Each crew member has the right and responsibility to refuse to allow another crew member to take a nap if doing so could jeopardize the personal safety of employees, the train, or the public.
• One crew member must remain awake at all times.
• The nap period must not exceed 45 minutes, which includes the time needed to fall asleep.
The napping employee is relieved of all duties.
• Train must not be delayed for an employee to take a nap. When conditions allow the train to move, the employee who is to remain awake must immediately waken the napping employee.
• Before napping, while waiting for the arrival of their train, employees must ensure all duties have been completed. These duties include reviewing general orders and notices; securing and reviewing track warrants, track bulletins, and other paperwork, if available.
• Before napping is allowed en route, the employee in charge of the locomotive controls must:
1. Make at least ......
2. Place gen......
3. Center .......
• The employee who is to remain awake must remain on the locomotive while others on the locomotive are napping, except when inspecting passing trains.
• If waiting for the arrival of or make-up of train, one crew member must remain awake while waiting for their train’s arrival or make-up at their initial terminal unless arrangements have been made with a third party to wake up all crew members.
All crew members that are deadheading or otherwise relieved of duties may nap.

Medic506

Forum Probie
I'd so be the one honking the horn! That's awesome!

We're lucky enough to have 8 different buildings to post in that have full bedrooms, restrooms and living rooms. The lucky bast-ages get to sleep all night in nice beds while dispatch has to stay up...grr..lol. Although one of the supervisors at night has offered us an egg timer so we can take turns with naps...

We have G-Force cameras as well, but they only activate after hitting so many G-Forces, such as an accident or slamming on the brakes (I set mine off all the time if I run over the curb...oops).