Feeling dejected...need some advice

HypOthymesia

Forum Probie
Long story short: Passed EMT, got NREMT cert and State cert. County EMS service said do this and we'll hire you.

County changed requirements after saying you only need XYZ four days prior.
Added a "Must have 1 year of clinical experience".
I can't seem to even get an interview in an ER as a patient care technician.

I HAVE to start working, I can't afford to go to medic school right now. I don't know what to do.
Would someone give me some advice?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Generally ER Tech spots are competitive and hard to get, especially as a brand new EMT. Apply everywhere you can, including ambulance companies, to get your foot in the door and start getting experience. Your first EMT job can often be difficult to get- it just takes persistence. Personally hand in applications if possible. Always be well-dressed when you're in person. Send a follow-up email or phone call to show that you're interested. Take any additional classes offered in your area. Apply even if they state there's a minimum experience requirement- often its overlooked.

Good luck and keep at it.

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
Consider starting at a private IFT BLS company too. Most are always hiring due to high turnover. The pay isn't so good (in my area) but everyone has to start somewhere!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Get a job anywhere and then make contacts to get a better job to get the experience you need. Slowly work your way into a good position. Everyone in this business knows everyone else in your area. Do good work; be a good employee. Make a good name for yourself and get the job you want.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Did you apply to the county EMS agency? If you haven't and they told you they were interested before adding the experience I'd still apply. Like STX said it's a requirement that's often overlooked.

Other than that good advice has already been given. Get the first job, apply everywhere you can, realize you might have to commute a little bit and take a less than desirable position but once you're in you can get the experience and build a name for yourself and begin to network and start working towards the position you ultimately want to be in.

Many agencies will pay for you to go to medic school. If that's something you want to do it's definitely worth looking into agencies around you that will. They usually ask for a commitment for anywhere from 1-5 years after you finish school and you just have to pay back a pro-rated amount on your schooling if you leave before your commitment is up.

Good luck!

OP
OP
HypOthymesia

HypOthymesia

Forum Probie
Did you apply to the county EMS agency? If you haven't and they told you they were interested before adding the experience I'd still apply. Like STX said it's a requirement that's often overlooked.

Other than that good advice has already been given. Get the first job, apply everywhere you can, realize you might have to commute a little bit and take a less than desirable position but once you're in you can get the experience and build a name for yourself and begin to network and start working towards the position you ultimately want to be in.

Many agencies will pay for you to go to medic school. If that's something you want to do it's definitely worth looking into agencies around you that will. They usually ask for a commitment for anywhere from 1-5 years after you finish school and you just have to pay back a pro-rated amount on your schooling if you leave before your commitment is up.

Good luck!

I did go ahead and apply to county EMS. They politely said thanks but no thanks because "lack of one year clinical experience". I also applied to one IFT, four hospital ER jobs, a private service as a basic and a private service that does events. I'm currently applying to every where with in a 1 hour driving radius...

Now im wondering if I do volunteer Fire if that will count as experience. They do A LOT of medical calls.

OP
OP
HypOthymesia

HypOthymesia

Forum Probie
Wanted to add that I called my EMT instructor who gave me a few solid ideas. Hopefully one will pan out!

jteeters

Forum Crew Member
I went through the same issue a couple of years ago (kind of...I just couldn't find a job where I was living). The problem is, there are SO many EMTs that jobs are extremely hard to come by. It took me uprooting my entire family, and moving from my lifelong home in Missouri, to take a job in Oklahoma. Just remember, there's always a silver lining, and I'm hoping that something comes through for you. Also, most places DO county vol Fire experience, especially if they allow you to perform the duties of an EMT. Hope things turn around for you!

OP
OP
HypOthymesia

HypOthymesia

Forum Probie
I got an interview so that's something! It's IFT but it will give me loads of time to read and study before applying to paramedic school. Thanks for the faith. Hopefully this pans out!