fdny ems physical on 3/30/13

Zel2013

Forum Probie
Don't psych yourself out now...when you get there and your waiting in line your going to be freaking out like me lol just take deep breaths.... Count to ten breathing in and out... Tell yourself "you got this" and you'll be good :)

Dang girl i literally freaked out n my pulse is so damn fast i tried relaxing but i just cant n i did the warm up of stair master n i told myself then almost into 3 minutes my legs gave up n i really pushed myself but i couldnt breath n i end up holding the rails they called the medics n they checked my blood pressure n it was sky rocketting im not even lying i saw it was 158/90 n they keep asking if how i feel i told them im outa breath. Man it was embarassing that i failed it. Im so pist at myself.

Zel2013

Forum Probie
I had to retake the firefighter stairmaster test because I was so nervous my heartrate exceeded the limit. (Dont worry EMS test has no heartrate limit)

Omg same thing happened to me today i just couldnt calm myself and i almost got the 3 minutes but then my legs gave out then i was out if breath and ebverything looked dark all i remember is they called the medics man it was crazy n embarassing

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Omg same thing happened to me today i just couldnt calm myself and i almost got the 3 minutes but then my legs gave out then i was out if breath and ebverything looked dark all i remember is they called the medics man it was crazy n embarassing

I was only over by 3 beats. The guys who pass the first time around are usually cardio freaks. Sounds more like you had a legitimate panic attack.

Do you get to retest?

The retest for fire is a 3 minute warmup, 5 minute rest, 8 minutes with a 50lb vest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zel2013

Forum Probie
I was only over by 3 beats. The guys who pass the first time around are usually cardio freaks. Sounds more like you had a legitimate panic attack.

Do you get to retest?

The retest for fire is a 3 minute warmup, 5 minute rest, 8 minutes with a 50lb vest.

Ha!yeah lol and damn! Thats so crazy!!! They like double it the second time around huh

OP
OP
JPat86

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
Ha!yeah lol and damn! Thats so crazy!!! They like double it the second time around huh

Don't beat yourself up over it... Ypu tried your best.. now what you need to do is before you go for your retest get a membership to a gym that has the stairmaster and start conditioning yourself for it... I believe in you!!

Emt11356

Forum Ride Along
Ok same thing happen to me I had 30 sec to go and my legs got heavy. I couldn't catch my breath. I hope I get a second chance. I really want to do this..

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wait...what all does this test entail? All I'm seeing is X minutes on a stair master with a weight vest...am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Emt11356

Forum Ride Along
Ok it's the fdny physical agility test the vest is 40 pound the stair is 1 min warm up with a 45 sec rest then the actual test is 3min 2 sec. I had 30 sec left before my legs gave out.

EmtMacho

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys I'm new here(great site). My physical is set for this Sunday but last Friday I had to go to the ER and have emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed. I feeling pretty good but my doctor advise nothing over ten pounds for at least a week. I really want this job and I feel if I reschedule it I will never have another shot. Do you guys know if I'll be push back for next year if I do that?

Bchen0502

Forum Ride Along
You can probably defer, call the FDNY Recruitment office and let them know your situation so they don't think that you're just a no show. Whats your list no# ?

OP
OP
JPat86

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
Hi guys I'm new here(great site). My physical is set for this Sunday but last Friday I had to go to the ER and have emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed. I feeling pretty good but my doctor advise nothing over ten pounds for at least a week. I really want this job and I feel if I reschedule it I will never have another shot. Do you guys know if I'll be push back for next year if I do that?
Reschedule! God forbid down the road something happens! Reschedule for the following weekend! If you want this that bad, you will do what's best for YOU. You don't want to push yourself through something and end up hurting yourself and then being forced to getting disqualified.