FDNY EMS Candidates

SIEMTB

Forum Lieutenant
I haven't heard of anyone being called higher then 700's
I don't know if it matters but I know someone who is in the 870s and they either got the call for this academy on the 19th or their investigator told them they're definitely going in and to expect a call. I'll double check for you guys when I see her at work later.

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
Damn, more rigorous then I thought...doubt I'm fit enough for that... now I'm worried
Me too it's the first academy that they had marine drill instructors great just our luck lol. Always be on time and make sure you're uniform is on point and I'm sure you'll be good my friend that graduated said that's what they care about the p.t stuff is tough but as long as you're trying you'll be ok

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
What is your uniform for the academy ?

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Damn, more rigorous then I thought...doubt I'm fit enough for that... now I'm worried

Then it's time to start getting in shape isn't it? If you want something really badly you will do just about everything to make it happen. I had to lose 20 lbs in a month or I was medically DQ. By the end of the month I was down 30. Don't let someone's article push you away from achieving your goals.

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
I don't know if it matters but I know someone who is in the 870s and they either got the call for this academy on the 19th or their investigator told them they're definitely going in and to expect a call. I'll double check for you guys when I see her at work later.

It matters man. I am actually hoping to land in the April Academy rather than the July one. I have a tattoo on my left forearm and the heat from the summer with a long sleeve shirt will be the death of me *sarcasm*

nacholibre27

Forum Probie
Congratulations on graduating can you give us going in april any pointers/advice besides never being late and having uniform on point
thank you! besides never being late, show every respect to the instructors, officers and the emts. side conversations was a big issue with this class. a.m and p.m. people just talk and the noise level only goes up. don't let anyone have to yell "lock it up" because of side conversations. it's disrespectful. even at graduation pratice this morning it was ridiculous. especially when a captain is up there trying to talk to a fellow student. stay to yourself if u have to til u get out. also just study hard and practice your skills every chance u get. remember if u pass the class final but fail the state test you're out AND they take away your current emt card. pt really isn't that bad. you'll love the drill instructors. they're fun. just show that you're giving your all

SIEMTB

Forum Lieutenant
So I just found out someone with a higher list number than mine got their intake letter and I didn't but every time I call the CIB, I'm told it's that they send a few out at a time but how can a guy with a score about 60 numbers below me get his?

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
First off, if my 36 year old, pretty out of shape *** can do the P/T, anyone should be able to.

Secondly, I don't understand why the guy in the article has such a problem with a more disciplined approach. We as EMS people have been the ******* step child of emergency services for years now, falling far behind police and fire. And maybe because it's the way they train and are disciplined when starting. So the FDNY is doing right by all by trying to create some parity between the suppression and ems side of things. Also, this maybe the first class with drill instructors, and maybe a more disciplined approach, but P/T isn't new to the academy. And the same person he is referencing in the article has been there for a while.

Nacho mentioned it above, the drill instructors are good people. Hard when they need to be, but completely fair across the board. They're out there doing P/T with you, encouraging everyone along. Even if they have to drag you along. This program can only go upwards. I have a few weeks left in the medic academy, and I can tell you there are some top notch instructors on both sides. Knowledgeable, always willing to help, and wanting to see the class succeed. So doing things like always showing up on time, respect your senior members, (they've certainly earned it), study hard, should not be a big deal at all. It only makes us look more professional as a community of providers, and maybe we will start to get a little more of the respect that we all don't think we get across the board.

Good luck to the incoming class. Enjoy it, it's a great time. And congrats to graduates today that I didn't get a chance to talk to yesterday before we left. Good luck, and stay safe in the streets. Hope to cross paths again!

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
As cheesey as it sounds. I'm proud of all the graduates today. Make all of us look good in the streets and stay safe in the streets. Congratulations all.

nacholibre27

Forum Probie
As cheesey as it sounds. I'm proud of all the graduates today. Make all of us look good in the streets and stay safe in the streets. Congratulations all.
thanks! trust me the time flies. you'll be walking across that stage in no time. get ready for the bronx

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
Good luck, its easy, arrive an hour early if you want to be out at a reasonable time, makes a huge difference
Thanks for the advice. I'm in the Hudson Valley Region, we are planning on leaving around 0430 that morning for the drive down.