FDNY EMS Candidates

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
What do you actually learn in the academy?
I know you go over EMT stuff, but its more of a refresher.
What else do you learn?

nacholibre27

Forum Probie
What do you actually learn in the academy?
I know you go over EMT stuff, but its more of a refresher.
What else do you learn?
first few weeks it's general emt stuff. focus is on state protocols. after u pass the state exams it's focus on city protocols. in between is different things. hazmat training at randalls island, extrication training, evoc training, mci training etc etc

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
first few weeks it's general emt stuff. focus is on state protocols. after u pass the state exams it's focus on city protocols. in between is different things. hazmat training at randalls island, extrication training, evoc training, mci training etc etc
When does pt start?

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
When is the state?

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
the state practical will be about 3 weeks in. the state written will be about 4 weeks in. unless they switch it up for u guys being a bigger class

Do you find out pass/fail on the spot?
And thats pretty good, because you have the info fresh in your head for the state.

nacholibre27

Forum Probie
Do you find out pass/fail on the spot?
And thats pretty good, because you have the info fresh in your head for the state.
yeah u do. you'll retest as needed on the practical if u fail 2 or 1 stations. most likely same day. for written you'll find out if u pass within a few hours after. don't get below 70 on that or it's bad news

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
yeah u do. you'll retest as needed on the practical if u fail 2 or 1 stations. most likely same day. for written you'll find out if u pass within a few hours after. don't get below 70 on that or it's bad news

How is the new state exam (written)?
I heard that its more definition based, whereas when i took mine, it was more scenario based?

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
i don't remember a lot scenarios on it. but definitely know terminology. know state protocols. and then there's always common sense questions. which I saw a lot of. read every question and all the answers twice. you'll be good

Thanks for the quick response brotha!

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
i don't remember a lot scenarios on it. but definitely know terminology. know state protocols. and then there's always common sense questions. which I saw a lot of. read every question and all the answers twice. you'll be good
Thanks for replying so quickly, one more question do we get a lunch or dinner break? and do we bring our own food or can we buy it somewhere around there not familiar with that area too much

jjay449

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone know how Mutuals work? I understand you'll do longer days but Does your days stay the same meaning you'll work 16 16 8 on the same days or do they continue to rotate according to your platoon

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
Does anyone know if Acid Reflux is a disqualification for FDNY EMS? Asking for a friend of mine who also got a list number.

About 7 years ago they went to a doctor for getting out of breath easily. They said it was possibly a slight asthma or acid Reflux. They asked him if he wanted to try an inhaler to see if it would help, but it was not full on asthma he would not have attacks and never has. He then went back for a check up and mentioned a cough so the doctor told him maybe it was acid Reflux then. He never really got a clear answer and just got himself in shape and started eating better(he was overweight) and the problem went away.

Anyone know how he should approach this?