FDNY EMS Candidates

nacholibre27

Forum Probie
Thanks for replying so quickly, one more question do we get a lunch or dinner break? and do we bring our own food or can we buy it somewhere around there not familiar with that area too much
yeah both classes a.m and p.m get regular breaks plus one main meal break for 30min to 1hr. depending on the instructors. u can bring your meals. there are microwaves available. there are vending machines with drinks and snacks. also the academy has a spot they order from. you'll get a lunch list with a menu if u want that option. it's about $5 for everything on the menu. some items are good some aren't lol. experiment

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
yeah both classes a.m and p.m get regular breaks plus one main meal break for 30min to 1hr. depending on the instructors. u can bring your meals. there are microwaves available. there are vending machines with drinks and snacks. also the academy has a spot they order from. you'll get a lunch list with a menu if u want that option. it's about $5 for everything on the menu. some items are good some aren't lol. experiment

What would you recommend on that $5 menu lol.

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
Does anyone know if Acid Reflux is a disqualification for FDNY EMS? Asking for a friend of mine who also got a list number.

About 7 years ago they went to a doctor for getting out of breath easily. They said it was possibly a slight asthma or acid Reflux. They asked him if he wanted to try an inhaler to see if it would help, but it was not full on asthma he would not have attacks and never has. He then went back for a check up and mentioned a cough so the doctor told him maybe it was acid Reflux then. He never really got a clear answer and just got himself in shape and started eating better(he was overweight) and the problem went away.

Anyone know how he should approach this?
That's pretty scattered to go from an assumption of having asthma to acid reflux lol. A simple endoscopy tells if u have it I've had that procedure and was diagnosed with acid reflux and I'm fine and I guess grew out of it bcuz it doesn't bother me rarely anymore and told me them during medical and was fine

nacholibre27

Forum Probie
What would you recommend on that $5 menu lol.
I've only ordered the cheeseburger deluxe and fries. the burger is really dry. skip that one. and the chicken fingers and fries is good. also the sandwich with the roast beef isn't bad. some of the menu items are not really filling. like the chicken fingers and fries. some guys used to put $10 and order two items.

nacholibre27

Forum Probie
Lol 4 real...That must get confusing with everyone ordering though but for $5 u can't go wrong beats worrying about preparing meals for the week
for your class of 90 it might be lol. but it goes by name and number for the orders. if u need change u get it from the money envelope. the fdny uses the honor system. no one steals from their brothers and sisters. try different things until u find what u don't mind eating for lunch often

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
That's pretty scattered to go from an assumption of having asthma to acid reflux lol. A simple endoscopy tells if u have it I've had that procedure and was diagnosed with acid reflux and I'm fine and I guess grew out of it bcuz it doesn't bother me rarely anymore and told me them during medical and was fine

He just told me the story briefly and that's what I got out of it. He is just not sure if on the medical questionare, since he was never told he had full on asthma with a rescue inhaler needed and never actually had a test done to prove acid Reflux, if he should say yes or no to asthma and/or acid Reflux when they ask.

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
He just told me the story briefly and that's what I got out of it. He is just not sure if on the medical questionare, since he was never told he had full on asthma with a rescue inhaler needed and never actually had a test done to prove acid Reflux, if he should say yes or no to asthma and/or acid Reflux when they ask.
No only if diagnosed. if he has asthma or breathing problems they will know during the lung test bcuz he will fail.

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Okay thank you I will pass that information on to him. He has been very worried because he does not want to lie.

I have asthma and was not medically DQ. What I believe they look for in the medical portion is that your overall health is good if not great, and that you don't abuse controlled or noncontrolled subtances. The portion where they test if you can physically handle the job is the PAT.

RUMCEMT

Forum Lieutenant
So good luck to the guys who hit the call today. I graduated and start out on the street tomorrow. I'm headed to div 5 so no Bronx though about 80ppl went there. Ot is tough but try and don't quit even if your last running and you'll be fine. If you try hard and are respectful you won't have any issues. The article is kind of a joke he quit after maybe a month and they kill you at first to break you down then it gets easier as people fall in line and follow the rules.the instructors are all very cool once you get to know them. Yes the academy is harder than it used to be but they are looking to be more like suppression. I had a great time you all should enjoy the time there it goes quick. Study hard and keep yourself tight and you'll all make it through. Good luck

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
So good luck to the guys who hit the call today. I graduated and start out on the street tomorrow. I'm headed to div 5 so no Bronx though about 80ppl went there. Ot is tough but try and don't quit even if your last running and you'll be fine. If you try hard and are respectful you won't have any issues. The article is kind of a joke he quit after maybe a month and they kill you at first to break you down then it gets easier as people fall in line and follow the rules.the instructors are all very cool once you get to know them. Yes the academy is harder than it used to be but they are looking to be more like suppression. I had a great time you all should enjoy the time there it goes quick. Study hard and keep yourself tight and you'll all make it through. Good luck

Just a quick question. Is it true that if you can't run a mile and a half in 13 for the first PFT at the start of the Academy you're sent home?

RUMCEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Just a quick question. Is it true that if you can't run a mile and a half in 13 for the first PFT at the start of the Academy you're sent home?

No that's false I only did mine in just under 15 and nothing was said to me. Do your best and don't stop running. Even if your jogging just keep going and finish. If you stop or walk they will rip you up but if you run and go the best you can you'll be fine

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
What about uniforms when do we get those ?

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
That I know for sure u get when u go for ur uniform fittings u get mostly everything except a few things they stitch ur name on that u get half way thru the academy

Okay thanks.
Just got my letters. Counting down the days