FDNY EMS Candidates

TeeDub

Forum Crew Member
For those that were recently in the academy, what should we expect with the PT? Like how many miles, push ups, etc did they have you doing?

NycEmt7

Forum Crew Member
Has anyone ever failed the stairmaster part of the PAT and have any info on the retest? 4 months and still waiting for a retest day :(

scu1993

Forum Ride Along
For those that were recently in the academy, what should we expect with the PT? Like how many miles, push ups, etc did they have you doing?
PT is basic calisthenics, push-ups sit ups flutter kicks etc. Sometimes you’ll just be doing suicides across the field other days you’ll go on runs that can be anywhere between 2-4 miles long. W.e you do just don’t give up. If you get Code 10 you might have to go up to BHS and get cleared to work so just don’t give up.

TeeDub

Forum Crew Member
PT is basic calisthenics, push-ups sit ups flutter kicks etc. Sometimes you’ll just be doing suicides across the field other days you’ll go on runs that can be anywhere between 2-4 miles long. W.e you do just don’t give up. If you get Code 10 you might have to go up to BHS and get cleared to work so just don’t give up.
Thanks for the reply!
With the running, are they timed or do they just want you to complete it and not give up? Cause I'm sure everyone can't run 10 minute miiles

scu1993

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the reply!
With the running, are they timed or do they just want you to complete it and not give up? Cause I'm sure everyone can't run 10 minute miiles
You will be timed for 1 1/2 miles at the beginning and end of the academy to see if you’ve improved. During PT with the squads everyone runs together with the slow people in front. But if your up front all the attention is on you all the time. Utilize extra pt when it’s offered.

TeeDub

Forum Crew Member
You will be timed for 1 1/2 miles at the beginning and end of the academy to see if you’ve improved. During PT with the squads everyone runs together with the slow people in front. But if your up front all the attention is on you all the time. Utilize extra pt when it’s offered.
Thanks for the solid info!

I forgot to ask this during uniform pick up, but does anyone know if we're allowed to keep water with us in our bags or during the academy (especially PT)? Like a gallon water jug

scu1993

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the solid info!

I forgot to ask this during uniform pick up, but does anyone know if we're allowed to keep water with us in our bags or during the academy (especially PT)? Like a gallon water jug
During pt they provide water and Gatorade and during class your allowed to bring food and drinks and they also provide water for you during class.

Jordan Tymony

Forum Ride Along
So I literally just signed up and I’m really confused on how to use this so I apologize in advance. But quick question if anyone could help me out.

I’m a Kansas certified EMT and I have my NREMT as well. I know New York State doesn’t recognize national registry so I’m trying to sign up for NYS reciprocity so I can get certified in New York. Only issue is that it’s been over 18 months since I’ve taken the EMT written and practical exams. With that said, my question for you all is will I have to retest for the written and practical exams in NYS since I’m over the 18 months? And if I do, is there a mandatory refresher course or something? I’m a full time firefighter in Kansas so if there is a refresher course I’m concerned on how long it’ll be and what study material I can use for it. Basically I’m trying my hardest to get on FDNY EMS but it’s getting really complicated because I lack some required/preferred things for FDNY and NYS. Let know what you guys know I’d really appreciate it!

Valley42

Forum Crew Member
So I literally just signed up and I’m really confused on how to use this so I apologize in advance. But quick question if anyone could help me out.

I’m a Kansas certified EMT and I have my NREMT as well. I know New York State doesn’t recognize national registry so I’m trying to sign up for NYS reciprocity so I can get certified in New York. Only issue is that it’s been over 18 months since I’ve taken the EMT written and practical exams. With that said, my question for you all is will I have to retest for the written and practical exams in NYS since I’m over the 18 months? And if I do, is there a mandatory refresher course or something? I’m a full time firefighter in Kansas so if there is a refresher course I’m concerned on how long it’ll be and what study material I can use for it. Basically I’m trying my hardest to get on FDNY EMS but it’s getting really complicated because I lack some required/preferred things for FDNY and NYS. Let know what you guys know I’d really appreciate it!
I think the best thing for you to do is contact the NYS Department of Health Bureau of EMS. Go to the web page and call or email them. They can best explain what you would need to do.

Donny41

Forum Ride Along
Anyone going into hq tomorrow that has a picture of the manikin from the quartermaster? Or can tell me what the uniform dress cover is? Is that the longer if the two dress coats we got with the hangers and plastic wrap?

Donny41

Forum Ride Along
Disregard the last message, figured it out. One other question though, who does the money order get made out to?

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant

New York is attempting to transition to nremt, but I’m not sure how reciprocity works. Contact New York State ems for more info. Also, you need to live in a certain vicinity of nyc to work for FDNY.

Jordan Tymony

Forum Ride Along
yeah I plan on emailing them today about reciprocity and I’ve been saving money to move up there already in case I make the ems list. Only thing holding me back from making the making the ems list is my emt card is Kansas not NYS

adnarim210

Forum Probie
Does anyone know what’s going on with the trainee process? I received a call from their recruitment department (‭(718) 559-1100‬) the first week of Jan letting me know that the scores are out. Also, to expect to receive an invite to the PAT through the mail...The same number called twice this week which I missed. Are they calling me mistakingly? I called ‭(718) 999-3369‬ already and they’re not helping much.

Hey! I got a letter in the mail to go in at 2pm on Feb 11 for the PAT for exam 7014! Did you get one as well ?