FDNY EMS Candidates

Jimazz

Forum Lieutenant
Lol appreciate it a lot, and I wouldn't faint. I would just keep pushing myself to the end, go home then pass out

Ride a bike or swim to work up your cardio. But I agree theres no point in running on a hamster wheel. Go outside

SIemt

Forum Crew Member
How long after your intake interview did anyone have to wait to get a letter for the psych/medical?

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
One of the instructors said they are trying to make all the upcoming future academies even longer and that they're debating on college credit requirements for ems and fire academy now meeting is next week
There's no way they'll put having college credits to get on Ems or fire, they just took the college credits requirement away from fire so they could boost the amount of minorities as firefighters. Now you only need 6 months work experience. Ridiculous.

Str8dope

Forum Probie
I need a quick answer guys im about to go to the PAT but I had a few beers last night to celebrate my brothers bday. will that be an issue on the piss test? if so i guess i will need a new date. let me know ASAP what you guys think.

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
There's no way they'll put having college credits to get on Ems or fire, they just took the college credits requirement away from fire so they could boost the amount of minorities as firefighters. Now you only need 6 months work experience. Ridiculous.
You would think but it's causing a lot of backlash search on fb search fdny college credits and it's trending. I screenshotted it below apparently she's the head honcho in charge of determining those kind of things

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160430-124827.png
    Screenshot_20160430-124827.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 309

USMCTom

Forum Probie
I need a quick answer guys im about to go to the PAT but I had a few beers last night to celebrate my brothers bday. will that be an issue on the piss test? if so i guess i will need a new date. let me know ASAP what you guys think.

Don't sweat it. they specifically tell you there's nothing against you having drank the night before. you're a private civilian, disclose it on the form you fill out.

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
You would think but it's causing a lot of backlash search on fb search fdny college credits and it's trending. I screenshotted it below apparently she's the head honcho in charge of determining those kind of things
Hhmmmm, very intriguing haha well see. But I doubt it, t would go against everything the fdny is looking to do nowadays. More minorities, that's the reason they changed It from 15 credits to 6 months work experience. And filling out incomplete applications for minorities and things like that. Would be nice because it would weed people out.

Jimazz

Forum Lieutenant
Hhmmmm, very intriguing haha well see. But I doubt it, t would go against everything the fdny is looking to do nowadays. More minorities, that's the reason they changed It from 15 credits to 6 months work experience. And filling out incomplete applications for minorities and things like that. Would be nice because it would weed people out.

Id be cool with a credit req. equivalent to PD

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
Hey guys I was wondering something. I have two questions from PAT

The morning of I had a Naproxen(Aleve). I also had some the day before. I take it because I broke my foot a few months ago and I take it to help with the inflammation. I here that Naproxen can be a false positive for Marijuana. I put under medicine that I took Aleve Within The Last 72 hours, but I'm wondering if this will effect me in anyway?

Also, I have to re take my PAT. Will I take another drug test or will they still send in the one I took today.

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
Hey guys I was wondering something. I have two questions from PAT

The morning of I had a Naproxen(Aleve). I also had some the day before. I take it because I broke my foot a few months ago and I take it to help with the inflammation. I here that Naproxen can be a false positive for Marijuana. I put under medicine that I took Aleve Within The Last 72 hours, but I'm wondering if this will effect me in anyway?

Also, I have to re take my PAT. Will I take another drug test or will they still send in the one I took today.
You have to retake? Meaning you postponed or failed PAT? as for meds is it prescribed ? I took ibuprofen and wrote that on sheet and was fine if yours is prescribed you would just show them prescription.

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
You have to retake? Meaning you postponed or failed PAT? as for meds is it prescribed ? I took ibuprofen and wrote that on sheet and was fine if yours is prescribed you would just show them prescription.

No its not Prescribed it is over the counter Aleve. And I unfortunately failed. Need to get in better shape.

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
No its not Prescribed it is over the counter Aleve. And I unfortunately failed. Need to get in better shape.
Oh okay you will be fine, ok well now u know better for next time and you'll have plenty of time to prepare for it, it's mind over matter when your body is telling you to stop keep pushing did u prepare at all for it?

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
I think it's a 3-6 month wait before you're allowed a retest and if u fail that then you're done. So get to a gym and change eating habits if that's an issue PM for any advice I've been thru it all and currently in academy I can give u gym/dieting pointers

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
Oh okay you will be fine, ok well now u know better for next time and you'll have plenty of time to prepare for it, it's mind over matter when your body is telling you to stop keep pushing did u prepare at all for it?

Oh okay thanks. I was just worried since it was a high dosage. I have never smoked Marijuana in my life it would be crazy to get disqualified because my medicine was mistaken for it. I did practice a bit on the stair climb. I have been lifting weights as well. What got me was the 40 pound vest. Without the vest I am fine. I'm going to start practicing the stair master while holding some weights.

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
I think it's a 3-6 month wait before you're allowed a retest and if u fail that then you're done. So get to a gym and change eating habits if that's an issue PM for any advice I've been thru it all and currently in academy I can give u gym/dieting pointers

Yeah they told me it would be about that long. Which is good because I can get myself back into good shape. Thank you though! I appreciate it. If I need any help I will send you a message. Going to change around my diet this week try to cut on some carbs.

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
Advice for those who will receive a call for a job in the futute. Take the AM class.
One of the instructors has told us that am classes always does better and that am class seems to havemore fun and is a tighter group. A few people from pm class now, wants to go to am

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
Advice for those who will receive a call for a job in the futute. Take the AM class.
One of the instructors has told us that am classes always does better and that am class seems to havemore fun and is a tighter group. A few people from pm class now, wants to go to am
Lol and we hear the same in PM class saying our grades are much higher than am and u guys had a bunch even fail cpr and the DI's always ragging on am class saying your formation still sucks no disrespect just saying what we're told.

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
Lol and we hear the same in PM class saying our grades are much higher than am and u guys had a bunch even fail cpr and the DI's always ragging on am class saying your formation still sucks no disrespect just saying what we're told.

Idk, we're in formations before di's even come out. i think 3 failed cpr though... funny, one was a medic.. lmfao.