Family Blames NY Medics, NYPD and Hospital for Dad's Death

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Tacky to be sure, but the delay because of the first ambulance crew wasn't really meaningful given they apparently didn't' take him to surgery until after 1720 and he arrived at the hospital at 1557. You could argue the delay was 11 minutes from the ambulance arrival times, police actions notwithstanding. I'm still trying to figure out why the surgeon needed next of kin consent for the surgery if it was truly an emergency.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hold on... I have lots of questions....
An ambulance from New York-Presbyterian Hospital arrived. As medics began treating Frasheri, New York-Presbyterian EMT Josephine Ramirez, 58, claimed he punched and kicked her, demanded he be arrested and refused to treat him further, according to a police report and the family’s notice of claim, which is required of those who plan to sue the city.
Maybe he was violent due to a head injury? maybe this EMT has been assaulted numerous times in NYC, and finally got sick of being used as a punching bag? I'm not saying the EMT was right in this case, but these might be other factors at play.

The supposed assault took place within the next three minutes, with the time of Frasheri’s arrest listed in a police report as 3:05 p.m. At that point, the medic, Ramirez, departed the scene. The police report indicates she sought treatment for pain and “redness” to her face.
The crew is OOS due to an injury. and the next ambulance arrived 8 minutes later. this is not abnormal, but I agree that it delayed care.
Sopiqoti learned her father was at the hospital at 5:20 p.m., and doctors needed her there immediately to get a signature so they could perform surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.

“I could hear my father groaning in the background. We were told he was pretty bad, a fractured skull and bleeding inside his head,” Enika said. “The doctors told me, ‘You have to get here now.’”

But because her father was under arrest, she was told she had to get a special pass to see him from the 109th Precinct stationhouse in Flushing. That process took a ponderous two hours.
hold up... this sounds verrrrrry fishy. patient needs emergency surgery, but because they are under arrest, they need a special pass? In that case, one of two things should happen: the officer gives consent, as the arrestee is in his custody, the hospital treats this as an emergency, or the person signs the paperwork at the hospital. Someone did something very wrong in this situation.

But don't worry, the driver of the vehicle that killed the elderly man was given a ticket.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Surely vehicular manslaughter if you nail a 70 year old in crosswalk?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
hold up... this sounds verrrrrry fishy. patient needs emergency surgery, but because they are under arrest, they need a special pass? In that case, one of two things should happen: the officer gives consent, as the arrestee is in his custody, the hospital treats this as an emergency, or the person signs the paperwork at the hospital. Someone did something very wrong in this situation.
There are always at least 2 sides to every story. I can't imagine a surgeon would want a written consent to be signed in this scenario. Probably someone insisted they "need to see dad before going into surgery."

A 20 million claim seems a bit preposterous.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Sopiqoti learned her father was at the hospital at 5:20 p.m., and doctors needed her there immediately to get a signature so they could perform surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.
“I could hear my father groaning in the background. We were told he was pretty bad, a fractured skull and bleeding inside his head,” Enika said. “The doctors told me, ‘You have to get here now.’”

But because her father was under arrest, she was told she had to get a special pass to see him from the 109th Precinct stationhouse in Flushing. That process took a ponderous two hours.

My question is why couldn't the daughter give permission over the phone? Or go into the hospital and give permission then go get the pass to see dad after the surgery?

It sounds like the hospital was more at fault for dad dying than the EMS crew. The hospital refused to do surgery until they had permission? Dad obviously wasn't a juvenile

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

My question is why couldn't the daughter give permission over the phone? Or go into the hospital and give permission then go get the pass to see dad after the surgery?

It sounds like the hospital was more at fault for dad dying than the EMS crew. The hospital refused to do surgery until they had permission? Dad obviously wasn't a juvenile
Be careful basing your opinions on only one side of the story, and a biased one at that. What she claims may or may not be true, but we don't know for certain yet.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There's more to this story for sure, because there is simply no such thing - anywhere - as waiting for a family member to be physically present to sign a consent form before performing a truly necessary / emergency surgery.