Falck purchases Gerber Ambulance

It's true I work for Gerber. It will be complete in a few weeks. Falck will use Gerbers station as a southbay headquarters. They own care, bowers, and Gerber. I heard they want all of LAco. And they are going after the providence contract so that will give them hospitals from Southern California up to Alaska and everything in between, giving them control of the west coast. I don't believe that McCormick or amr have a chance. Falck has been getting everything they go after. But I don't know much. So don't listen to me.

Seriously people, get your facts straight. Rural Metro owns Bowers, not Falck.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
My goodness. R/M owns bowers, and getting the Providence contract doesnt net you Socal to Alaska, it gets you 5 hospitals. I doubt they have all the other providence from here to there, considering they have no operations on the west coast outside of CA.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Falck northwest. Seattle Everett Tacoma area.

Fakittillumakit

Forum Ride Along
I just saying what I heard from a friend. He said he got let go 1-2 weeks ago cause bowers got bought out. I don't know tho. I'm just saying. No one needs to get mad at me for saying that.

Fakittillumakit

Forum Ride Along
And I know you can't trust the internet but wiki says "Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic health care ministry operating multiple hospitals across 5 states. The health system includes 27 hospitals, more than 35 non-acute facilities and numerous other health, supportive housing and educational services in the states of Alaska, Washington, Montana, Oregon and California. Providence Health & Services was started by the Sisters of Providence (Montreal, Quebec) more than 155 years ago." So I would say that the 5 hospitals in LA and the 1 on deadliest catch are not the only ones in the west coast.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I just saying what I heard from a friend. He said he got let go 1-2 weeks ago cause bowers got bought out. I don't know tho. I'm just saying. No one needs to get mad at me for saying that.

The lay offs had nothing to do with the R/M buyout of bowers which happened almost 3 years ago.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
And I know you can't trust the internet but wiki says "Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic health care ministry operating multiple hospitals across 5 states. The health system includes 27 hospitals, more than 35 non-acute facilities and numerous other health, supportive housing and educational services in the states of Alaska, Washington, Montana, Oregon and California. Providence Health & Services was started by the Sisters of Providence (Montreal, Quebec) more than 155 years ago." So I would say that the 5 hospitals in LA and the 1 on deadliest catch are not the only ones in the west coast.

No one disagrees but the LA County providence is for 5 hospitals. Before 2014 it was for 3, and south county hospitals (San Pedro and Torrence were handled separately).

If they want the whole system they have a lot of work to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Blueprint1970

Forum Probie
Good move for Gerber... since they are expected to lose their 911 contract with Torrance Fire in October. Hopefully no one loses there job.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Good move for Gerber... since they are expected to lose their 911 contract with Torrance Fire in October. Hopefully no one loses there job.

I agree. I think it was very smart and hopefully everyone can stay employed.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
Could it be that Falck wants (or needs) an approved paramedic provider agency in its portfolio of companies since Care Ambulance is only approved for BLS and CCT? Just throwing out the idea...

TeamCutz

Forum Probie
Could it be that Falck wants (or needs) an approved paramedic provider agency in its portfolio of companies since Care Ambulance is only approved for BLS and CCT? Just throwing out the idea...

^^ This might be a valid point.

On another note - Gerber has some run-down rigs, some almost 6+ years (w/ CHP Extension) and 180,000+ miles on them. Looking at their profile, the companies they own have "newer" & "better" equipment, Gerber is running on diesel fumes and stale O2, would a buy-out lead to an update to keep the company consistent with the rest of its profile?

Additionally, I'm unsure about losing the TFD contract in October. This has been a rumor for years, but the fact is, Gerber keeps it "local" from the Chevy chassis it purchases to the automotive repair facilities it contracts with. Torrance citizens are content with Gerber and have fought for the city council to renew its contract. Again, I'm unsure, those who state & believe that TFD will drop Gerber might have more information that me!

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...

CARE just put in for als accreditation with LaCo. which could be approved as early as next month.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
CARE just put in for als accreditation with LaCo. which could be approved as early as next month.

I wonder if they are going to try to offer ALS 911 to the incorporated cities.

I've read 911 bids of theirs for other areas where they do this.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Private 911 medics in LA Co? Fat chance. As a back up...sure, but as primary provider? No way.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief

Policy 802.

Paragraph I, section C, bullet 2.

Use manual and mechanical ventilating devices designed for prehospital
including continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) [requires EMS
Agency approval].

Updated Dec. 1, 2013.

"Requires EMS Agency Approval" means each company or service that wants to do it must apply for the right to do it. Most BLS providers wont (IFT), but I could see some depts applying to equipt their BLS rigs with CPAP.

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/policies/Ref800/802.pdf

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Private 911 medics in LA Co? Fat chance. As a back up...sure, but as primary provider? No way.

Stranger things have happened.

Theyre letting EMTs do CPAP now. :unsure:

I can see it, but not where the FD is BLS only and a private company is the primary ALS provider.

Some of the smaller departments that don't run rescue squads, instead the medics are on the engine, currently the entire engine goes out of service to follow the ambulance to the hospital for ALS runs, I can see one of those departments saying they want Care/McCormick/AMR/Schaefer/AmeriCare/Gerber/whoever to respond with ALS ambulances (whether dual medic or P/B staffed) so that the fire guys can go back to quarters while the ambulance gets to hold the wall for "minor" ALS runs (*cough* protocol runs for passed out drunks *cough*)

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
I wonder if they are going to try to offer ALS 911 to the incorporated cities.

I've read 911 bids of theirs for other areas where they do this.

It's just to expand the CCT services. All IFT like other private ALS providers in LaCo. "Ideally" they say all the als shifts are going to start out in a SGV area substation far from CARE's EOAs. They are capable to be pulled into the 911 system if they're the closest unit but at that point you assist at an emt level unless told otherwise since LaCo FD is the contracted als provider.