Fake FF lures kids out of locked vehicle

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
So pedo or wanna be hero?

I'm guessing he is a member of the local VFD and he is also the same guy that carries a jump bag into the local diner "just in case he is needed".

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So pedo or wanna be hero?

I'm guessing he is a member of the local VFD and he is also the same guy that carries a jump bag into the local diner "just in case he is needed".

In the story the police state that though he identified himself as a firefighter, he is not an FF in the state despite wearing a t shirt identifying himself as such. Was that a shot at volunteer FFs?

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
In the story the police state that though he identified himself as a firefighter, he is not an FF in the state despite wearing a t shirt identifying himself as such. Was that a shot at volunteer FFs?

It's not a shot at Vol FFs. I'm a Vol myself. However, VFDs end up attracting some nutty people that join for the wrong reason. I've known a few guys that would try something like this expecting a heroes welcome.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Yeah, I have two fire dept shirts, one from Indiana and one from California. I have/had nothing to do with the one from Cali, it was a gift. The one from Indiana is a dept that I did a ride along with one time. It, too, was a gift.

I know many people that own similar shirts that wear them to support their local volunteer departments.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The guy was drunk and lingering so that is what cooked his goose, but, still this is summer (even in Warshington it gets hot) and three children locked in a car in a parking lot without an adult would be something I'd be curious about -- if not alarmed. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to feel they'd be safer in a visible, public spot at the store entrance while the Mom was found.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

bigbaldguy

I'd like to know if the mother will face any charges. If she were running into a 7/11 for 2 mins I might call this borderline but a Walmart?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Still unacceptable.

I don't see it as unacceptable. A 13 year old can be in charge of two younger siblings in a car without any problems?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed....where is this unacceptable???

You have a 13 year old and a 7 year old motioning a 4 year old...completely appropriate.

Every child baked in a car incident I have heard of has been the toddlers as they cannot unbuckle themselves, cannot exit the vehicle or quite simply do not know that they should or could exit simply because they are hot and cannot breathe.

The guy is a douche, should not have done what he did. The 13 year old has a cell phone as well...I think the situation was under control.

bigbaldguy

A running car full of kids with a borred 13 year old. Yeah I can't imagine how that could ever go wrong :)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
A running car full of kids with a borred 13 year old. Yeah I can't imagine how that could ever go wrong :)

And yet at some point, humans stop being children and start being adults.

It is totally fine for a 13 yo to babysit, at home or in a car, if the parent of the 13 yo deems it appropriate.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

I tend to agree. Then again, a 13 year old can easily be left home alone, if their parent judges it appropriate.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
And yet at some point, humans stop being children and start being adults.

It is totally fine for a 13 yo to babysit, at home or in a car, if the parent of the 13 yo deems it appropriate.

My thinking right here. There are a lot more dangerous things in a house than in a car. And if worst comes to worst, a 13 year old can figure out how to drive a car pretty well. 13 isn't that young.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
The 13 y/o did not exercise enough judgement to stay in a locked car where the guy on the outside could not pose an immediate threat to him. He did not call his mother or 911 by cellphone. He did not honk the horn to attract attention. He allowed himself and the younger kids to be coaxed out of the car by an intoxicated stranger. That does not sound like someone who is ready to take charge of younger kids alone.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
The 13 y/o did not exercise enough judgement to stay in a locked car where the guy on the outside could not pose an immediate threat to him. He did not call his mother or 911 by cellphone. He did not honk the horn to attract attention. He allowed himself and the younger kids to be coaxed out of the car by an intoxicated stranger. That does not sound like someone who is ready to take charge of younger kids alone.

In which case we are talking about the judgment of this one 13 yo and not 13 yos in general.

I am just playing the devils advocate here because more rules about how we can parent our children are the last thing we need.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
2m50zk8.jpg

bigbaldguy

Apparently I have less faith in 13 year olds then some. Maturity does vary by age and it is possible this 13 year old was very mature but I still don't like the idea. If this had been a quick run into the corner store I would say sure leave em for a few minutes but unless this Walmart is unlike any Walmart I've ever been in there's nothing quick about ducking in.

I have to admit being lured out I don't think is necessarily a sign of immaturity in this situation. We beat into our children that they must respect authority and this guy pretended to have it. Every once in while you hear about adults being fooled in similar situations for robberies and such.

I don't have kids nor do I have much experience with them so I will agree that in this case maybe it was acceptable. Since there was no mention of the mother being charged apparently the police on scene didn't think it was a problem either.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
In which case we are talking about the judgment of this one 13 yo and not 13 yos in general.

I am just playing the devils advocate here because more rules about how we can parent our children are the last thing we need.

The article only listed one 13 year old involved in this incident.

Rules? No but how about some commonsense for parenting? Parents need to be more aware and educate their children to their surroundings rather than just assuming all 13 y/o kids are all mature enough to know what to do in a situation like this. Some parents teach kids a lot younger than 13 to call 911 and not open doors to strangers. Sometimes it is also the adult who is not aware of their environment and take to much for granted.