Explain EMT Job

coffeegal

Forum Probie
Hello! This is my first post, so I'm not sure if it's in the right spot....but here it goes.

I've just completed my training to be an EMT-B. I've had a lot of people ask
"What do you do beside drive the ambulance?" or "Oh so you're a paramedic now??"

Without overloading, confusing, or boring them, how do I quickly cover what EMT's do (besides just drive the truck) and the difference between a paramedic?
My response so far has been something along the lines of, "Anything necessary to keep the person alive till we hand them over to the hospital staff, whether that includes pumping their heart, breathing for them, splinting a wound, or just being someone to hold their hand." and as far as the difference of a paramedic: "Basically they can do everything I can do, and a whole lot more like more medicines, IV's, and more responsibility."

Any thoughts??

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
"I help people. Sometimes it's advanced first aid, other times its just a ride." "Paramedics do the same thing, but they have more tools and schooling."

Most people that ask that kind of question won't understand anything more than that.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Most won't understand the difference no matter what you say. I don't think most people care.

People still think I spend most of my time driving the Ambulance around. Some even thought I transitioned into flying a helicopter? Many can't seem to understand that someone is going to be in the back of whatever vehicle is transporting a patient.

For me I pick the answer that will end the conversation the quickest. Especially in 99.9 percent of cases where I am pretty sure not a flying you know what is given in the first place.

Now if it's someone who is interested in the field I will take much more time to explain the supposed difference, the issues with the field as it exists today etc.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
In my area, just a driver with some first aid training (similar to boy scouts). We aren't even capable of using basic things like pulse oximetry or glucometry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
It amazes me when people's scope is so minimal. Whats the point of being an EMT when you can't even use the BASIC tools? That's not your fault and you may not be able to move away for a better scope, but we use everything up to King LTD airways, 12 lead ECG acquisitions, nebs, and CPAP. Just bothers me when your protocols don't let you use what you were trained for in the first place.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It amazes me when people's scope is so minimal. Whats the point of being an EMT when you can't even use the BASIC tools? That's not your fault and you may not be able to move away for a better scope, but we use everything up to King LTD airways, 12 lead ECG acquisitions, nebs, and CPAP. Just bothers me when your protocols don't let you use what you were trained for in the first place.

The better question is, "What's the point of EMT when the education is so minimal?" I simply don't trust a lot of the EMTs I've worked with with blind airways, nebs, or CPAP. Additionally, in a lot of areas with limited EMT scope of practice, there's almost always a paramedic present anyways. Why does an EMT need to intuabate with a King if a paramedic is present to intubate with an ET tube?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Yep, every ambulance that responds to 911 calls in my area is an ALS unit (excluding Oakland, an IFT division of Paramedics Plus called Patient Plus responds to low/alpha priority 911 calls I hear). I dislike that we are used as primary providers rather than as assistants on IFT calls even though it's unlikely anything eventful will happen. If a BLS call turns sour, I can only call 911 or transport emergently to the closest facility. :/