Essential BLS Equipment/Gear

BklynGnome

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Hey all! New to the site - and also new to the world of EMS! (And loving it so far!)

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed already in another thread. I did a quick search but didn't come across much.

I was just wondering what gear you all find to be essential for everyday life in EMS.

I'm lucky in that the company I work for (Private, Non-911 - although they seem to like sending me and my partner to a lot of emergency calls...) provides us w. a Trauma Bag, and pretty much anything else we could possibly need... but here's a list of stuff I put an order in on from Amazon, knowing I will "need" them:

- Stethoscope (Littman Classic II)
- Sphygmomanometer
- Shears x2
- Penlights x2
- EMS Knife/Flashlight Kit (mostly because it was only like $10 and looked cool :cool:)
- Pocket Pulse Ox (yes, I know the controversy surrounding weather or not we should be carrying Pulse-Ox's, but I figure it'd be good to have around if I'm worried about O2 levels, or I want to double check a pulse...)

Of course I have an analog watch w. a second hand, boots (although, I need to get me a steel-toed pair), uniform (provided by my co.), purell - and lots of it -, and a smartphone w. as many med. apps I could possibly find...

Is there anything you think I'm missing? Anything you, while perhaps not obvious, won't leave for work with out?

Thanks in advance!

Stethoscope.

A medication app.

I find an knife useful.

Well... That about it...

Few apps on the phone, a stethoscope, some pens, a sharpie or two and shears either on my person or sitting in the handle of the sharps container in the box.

In nearly two years in a busy, urban 911 system I've yet to see the need for steel toe boots. They're hot, heavy and downright uncomfortable, personally.

Stethoscope.

A medication app.

I find an knife useful.

Well... That about it...

Thanks! I already have all that, or it's on its way, plus more...

Few apps on the phone, a stethoscope, some pens, a sharpie or two and shears either on my person or sitting in the handle of the sharps container in the box.

In nearly two years in a busy, urban 911 system I've yet to see the need for steel toe boots. They're hot, heavy and downright uncomfortable, personally.

I always carry around at least 4 pens (2 on my person- one for me, one for the pts signature -, 2 in my backpack - since I tend to loose them), but the sharpie is a great idea - I can totally see needing one - gonna go put that in my bag now. Thanks!

As far as steel toed-boots go, yeah, I'm not running to get them. Although I have had the stretcher roll over my foot once or twice already... :rolleyes:

Did your company not provide you with a BP cuff in your truck's kit?

Did your company not provide you with a BP cuff in your truck's kit?

Yeah, we have one on our bus, but it's seen better days, and knowing how important it is to get good sets of vitals, and knowing that I could/should be better at obtaining a BP, getting my own cuff will allow me to practice at home on my gf as well... the one they provide for us will become the back-up, just in case...

Maybe it's geography, but I rely on my steel toes as I would rely on a tool.. I always have. Maybe it's because I'm so rural or worn steel toes for so many years... but I've had to break tree branches, use my feet to move cement blocks and other heavy objects, used my steel toes like a fulcrum, I've even used my toes to quickly lift a burning hot motorcycle tail pipe..

I wouldn't want to be without them --except in extreme MN cold, that's the only time I don't wear them.

4 wheels, an engine and a couple of axles. Bout it.

Do you do rescue service?

My agency does, and NFPA standards for rescue PPE require steel toes. When we go to a MVC, all i have to do it put on a helmet and a jacket if its a extrication, tech rescue requires only a helmet.

Looking at my uniform, i currently have
SOG powerlock w vcutter
Glove pouch w/ 6pr gloves
2 pens, black
1 notebook from ITS Tactical
Trauma shears with RipShears attachment
1 sharpie, black
1 sharpie, red
1 fat ivan door chock, yellow
1 pair gloves, leather work

on my radio strap i carry a Nebo CSI Quatro flashlight

and an ADC 601 cardiology

Composite toe boots FTW.

Do you do rescue service?

My agency does, and NFPA standards for rescue PPE require steel toes. When we go to a MVC, all i have to do it put on a helmet and a jacket if its a extrication, tech rescue requires only a helmet.

Looking at my uniform, i currently have
SOG powerlock w vcutter
Glove pouch w/ 6pr gloves
2 pens, black
1 notebook from ITS Tactical
Trauma shears with RipShears attachment
1 sharpie, black
1 sharpie, red
1 fat ivan door chock, yellow
1 pair gloves, leather work

on my radio strap i carry a Nebo CSI Quatro flashlight

and an ADC 601 cardiology

Rescue Service is a rarity - we get emergencies, but they're almost entirely medical emergencies, although my brother worked for the same co. as me and once got a rescue service call - I doubt I'll need a door chock any time soon.

Composite toe boots FTW.

Good thinking!

We have to wear steel/composite toe boots per our SOP.

Stethoscope, sharpie, shears, a small notebook and iPhone apps are everyday use items.

Other stuff I carry and use often, a surefire light and leatherman.

I like my boots, steth, penlight, and pens. That's about all I need. Phones with applications are wonderful too....just make sure your patient and/or their family know what you are doing on your phone

Speaking of apps as I currently have none downloaded, does anyone have recommendations? I have looked at the medical category in the App Store but I always think to myself " will I ever use this"

Don't be that whacker with a bat belt. If you work on an ambulance, 99.9% of what you'll need will be within reach. I currently wear 5.11 pants w/o thigh pockets and only have my pager, radio, and multi-tool on the belt. I've never needed more than that.

Don't be that whacker with a bat belt. If you work on an ambulance, 99.9% of what you'll need will be within reach. I currently wear 5.11 pants w/o thigh pockets and only have my pager, radio, and multi-tool on the belt. I've never needed more than that.

No stethoscope? No BP Cuff?

EMS apps.
qa7e5eve.jpg

Back