EMTs starting IV

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Im pretty sure ive read something about this here but I honestly think EMT-B should be able to start a line but not give any medication to help the medic/nurse. I think if we took a short class just on starting a line we should be allowed to do it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yes there is a short IV class it's called Paramedic.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
ha ha very funny. but seriously, is starting an IV that big of a deal?

medic417

The Truth Provider
:deadhorse:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Don't get me wrong, I think there are some things EMTs should be able to do that are "advanced", but not because they are "no big deal".

And really, if time were of the essence, the medic better be placing an IO rather than having someone with minimal practice with IVs trying to get the stick.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
:nosoupfortroll: and the lovely debate opens up once again. Ill give you my .02 on the subject though. It depends on your area! If the basics are going to be able to get sticks, than I do not see a problem with Basics having IV. If the Basics are only going to get one or two sticks a month than NO! they should not have IV access.

Also, if they are running with a Medic. And the only thing the Basic is doing is establishing the IV. Than I do not have a problem with it.

I volunteer for a BLS county. Would I like to see IV access granted to us. Of course I would. Do I see it happening NO. If you do not practice and get to use your skills, they go bye bye. Same goes with Medications that IV's allow and understanding why medications are being given. The 21 hour class (I believe that is the length of the basic iv class now) is not long enough to get a true understanding of the basic drugs that you will most likely be allowed to push.

Now after this being said, use the search... this has been debated so many times!!! I believe the troll Is full, and might be to full to eat during thanksgiving

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In some places they can (like Colorado) but they don't have the knowledge to know what they're doing a majority of the time. Hell an Intermediate usually doesn't have all the proper knowledge and education needed to know all of why and how they're doing it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
what?

EDIT: What i mean by big deal is that its not that complicated and it would help save time.

And your edit shows why basics should not be doing IV's.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
I dont think IV's themselves are no big deal, i think the actual procedure isnt as "advanced" as they are said to be.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Because i misread something? Thats mature.

No because it shows how little you know about the skill you are suggesting giving to basics.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
An emt who can do Iv's is a very well trained EMT-I :)

Honestly I am not to sure what the scope of practice is for an EMT-B, because we dont have B's in georgia. When we went through the B class it seemed to be how to stop bleeding and splinting.

Ive never understood why there are so many different levels in all the different states.I do know in Tenn their B's can start IVs.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
There is a short course, about 140 hours long, that teaches an EMT-Basic to do IVs. It's called EMT-Intermediate (aka Advanced EMT).

medic417

The Truth Provider
UGH give me sharp pointy thing. I shove it in skin and hope get red stuff come out. I pour clear stuff back in. It so simple a cave man can do it. :rolleyes:

But in defense of the basics on here sadly many Paramedics do not fully grasp what they are doing and the risks to the patients when they shove sharp pointy thing in.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Also, if they are running with a Medic. And the only thing the Basic is doing is establishing the IV. Than I do not have a problem with it.

If an IV needs to be started, the medic can do it. I'm sure there are other things that need to be done that's in a Basic's scope of practice.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
If an IV needs to be started, the medic can do it. I'm sure there are other things that need to be done that's in a Basic's scope of practice.

Or an Intermediate. :)