EMTs starting IV

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That's a valid question. Granted, I have taken anatomy and physiology as well as developmental biology, intro to neurobiology, and cell biology...for starters as part of my degree, but I'm looking over the course outline and textbook for my basic class right now, and I can tell you, it isn't just band-aids 101. Although it spends only a chapter on gross anatomy, the textbook spends a fair deal of time on cardiac anatomy and function as well as the various types of heart diseases and conditions that EMTs might see in the field. My book spends an entire chapter on allergic reaction. Lets be honest here. Is there an easier medical call to diagnose and treat in the field than anaphylaxis? Stridor (breathing difficulty)--check, hives--check, give the epipen! Yet, my textbook starts with an explanation of allergic reactions, covering antibodies, the role of MAST cells, and the role of histamine in reactions. The pharmacology chapters cover the various alpha and beta effects of epinephrine.

It is my opinion that my EMT class could have taken two weeks or less if all they wanted to do was teach us how to do EMT skills. It seemed to me that instead my instructor spent most of his lecture time teaching us about the mechanisms and pathology of the injuries we would be seeing. I'm attaching my EMT class schedule if anyone wants to take a look.

My Schedule

I hear in Texas first responders can intubate if they have a bachelors degree :p

They can tube if their medical director says they can, no degree needed :S

zmedic

Forum Captain
Wonder how long it will take for that to go away, considering the places that are taking a hard look at not letting medics intubate. I think we're getting close to the point where it will be negligence to intubate without real time capnography to ensure continued tube placement.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wonder how long it will take for that to go away, considering the places that are taking a hard look at not letting medics intubate. I think we're getting close to the point where it will be negligence to intubate without real time capnography to ensure continued tube placement.

It won't ever go away with the way TX scope is written. There's a floor that all providers must be competent with, then the medical director has full authority to add whatever they see fit.
Although on the ETCo2 bit... our two basics at my service use capno for Combi placement, and I use it on either ETT or MLA placement

Veneficus

Forum Chief
looking over the course outline and textbook for my basic class right now, and I can tell you, it isn't just band-aids 101.

I do not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.

Although it spends only a chapter on gross anatomy,.

There is absolutely nothing that can call itself "gross anatomy" in the whole of the EMT or paramedic curriculms nor text books. I have had the opportunity to be a content reviewer prior to publication of several texts, if they got any more basic they would be used in high school health classes.

When I see a muscle table with origin, insertion, innervation, action, synergists and antagonists, I might believe it may have some gross anatomy in it.

When it describes the anatomical rules, common variances, the parts of the structures, compartments, and evolutionary significance, I might believe there is some gross anatomy in it.

The newer ones are even worse as the major publishers struggle to make it as spoonfeedable (I think I just invented a word) as humanly possible.

No anatomy class compares to classical human gross anatomy. I have had the pleasure of it both in undergrad and medical school. (for a total of 2 years of it) People don't pass it, they survive it.

the textbook spends a fair deal of time on cardiac anatomy and function

You really need to check out some of my books before you make statements like that.

as well as the various types of heart diseases and conditions that EMTs might see in the field.

Even the paramedic texts barely cover them. Some conditions that can be expected are not talked about at all.

Dare I ask to they even mention the NYHA classification scores? The desk copy of EMT I have is a few years old, but somehow I very much doubt it was added considering the recent paramedic texts I have been sent don't.

My book spends an entire chapter on allergic reaction.

If it is anything like what I have seen, it is a lot of words that barely describes it.

Lets be honest here. Is there an easier medical call to diagnose and treat in the field than anaphylaxis? Stridor (breathing difficulty)--check, hives--check, give the epipen! Yet, my textbook starts with an explanation of allergic reactions, covering antibodies, the role of MAST cells, and the role of histamine in reactions.

Death?

How about the rest of immunology and hypersensitivity reactions? There is a slight difference between poison ivy and an allergic reaction. (ok maybe not so slight)

The pharmacology chapters cover the various alpha and beta effects of epinephrine.

I'm sure.

"Alpha is the blood vessles beta 1 is the heart and beta is the lungs" right?

It is my opinion that my EMT class could have taken two weeks or less if all they wanted to do was teach us how to do EMT skills.

Then you are lucky your class is exceeding the minimum requirements. They are all not like that. Infact most of them are not.

If I could inquire, what is the name of this textbook?

It seemed to me that instead my instructor spent most of his lecture time teaching us about the mechanisms and pathology of the injuries we would be seeing.

Did he now?

I'm attaching my EMT class schedule if anyone wants to take a look.

My Schedule

I'd like to see the lecture notes.

Really, I think you seriously overestimate the value of a published EMT text.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Really, I think you seriously overestimate the value of a published EMT text.

Absolutely not. Its 1300 pages of unadulterated fluff. The whole thing could be condensed to 300-400 cables while increasing the quality of the text. I'm not going to claim it covers anything in detail, just that the book does more than simply emphasize the necessary monkey skills that the EMT needs. In fact, if all you want to teach is skills, then a book is really an awful way to do it. You would be much better off with videos and hands on workshops.

To get back on topic...

**Sings to Lambchop Tune**

This is the thread that will not die,
and I really don't know why..
Somebody started an IV not knowing how to poke,
and they'll continue missing it until their squad is broke...

PS: Brady Prehospital Emergency Care 8th Edition by Mistovich and Karren

PPS: Vene, we were responsible for reading the text, the prof lectured, and the skills were learned hands on...

Last edited by a moderator: