EMTs starting IV

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I don't think a lot of EMT-Basics are even good at being Basics.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Honestly, I don't get enough chances at an IV myself, so regardless of whether or not my partner can do IVs (or in the case of Intermediates, tubes) doesn't matter. I get first go. And second. And maybe third.

I needs the excitement!!!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
This is not going to turn into a Basics vs Intermediates vs Paramedics thread.

It's already turned into another Basic IV thread, which there are no shortage of. :rolleyes:

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
PCP's start IV's in various jurisdictions in Canada.
In Alberta it's part of their scope.
In Ontario some services have implemented a program expanding the PCP scope to include IV starts, D50, gravol, independently. This is usually done in Counties without ACP. In some areas PCP's can start IV's, but only when on scene with an ACP.

Keep in mind though that IV starts or not, PCP education covers fluid balance as part of the A&P courses.

I understand the desire on the part of Basics to want to push their scope forward to better care for their patients, but the skill without the background is cart before the horse thinking.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
PCP's start IV's in various jurisdictions in Canada.
In Alberta it's part of their scope.
In Ontario some services have implemented a program expanding the PCP scope to include IV starts, D50, gravol, independently. This is usually done in Counties without ACP. In some areas PCP's can start IV's, but only when on scene with an ACP.

Keep in mind though that IV starts or not, PCP education covers fluid balance as part of the A&P courses.

I understand the desire on the part of Basics to want to push their scope forward to better care for their patients, but the skill without the background is cart before the horse thinking.

Apples to Oranges comparison, since EMT-Bs are completely undereducated, even for what little they have in their scope, especially when you compare them to any other developed country's EMS

medic417

The Truth Provider
Apples to Oranges comparison, since EMT-Bs are completely undereducated, even for what little they have in their scope, especially when you compare them to any other developed country's EMS

Heck even underdeveloped countries. In fact many countries lowest level has a higher education required than our highest level which is Paramedic.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Meh. I'm tired of hearing another country has better EMS education in comparison to ours when they cannot be compared.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Meh. I'm tired of hearing another country has better EMS education in comparison to ours when they cannot be compared.

Education can be compared. Most require much more actual education. Now in the field it seems USA allows it's lesser educated more skills that are reserved for doctors elsewhere.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief

That was my point. The skill can be taught in a few hours, the knowledge base required to understand it and implement it requires a greater education then can be provided as part of a 120 hour course.

I used to run into this quite a bit when I was still active on the board for the Association of Campus Emergency Response Teams (ACERT; like NCEMSF, but much smaller). Teams trained to the FR or EMR level would get together at conferences and many of them would all want to add new toys to their toy box; whether it was pulse ox, epi, etc. While I had no control over the actual decision within their team I'd always ask the person "Cool. Explain to me how it works."

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
America is the best damn country in the world....except when it comes to education standards of our EMS professionals.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We're often demanding science based medicine, but I've yet to see a single study showing higher survival rates, or lower morbidity / mortality when comparing the US system to another country's 'more educated' providers of the equivalent level.

"Their" PCP might have more education but does it make a difference when they can do the exact same (minimal) skill set?

Heck, on average, you could argue that a British Paramedic has more education than an American Paramedic, but when I'm having a cardiac episode, I want someone who can actually do stuff for it, which, right or wrong, the US outpaces many other country's on our interventions in the cardiac arena. Yes, 'skills' don't mean everything, but having knowledge, without the ability to intervene, is edging on uselessness. In an emergency, I'd rather have a Paramedic that can do what they do, than an MD from another country who can't do anything but go "Oh, he has ______, to which he would be given ______... too bad you have to wait since I can't practice"

And before someone gets their panties in a bunch--- yes, education should match our interventions we provide.

I'm the first to say we need more education... but there is also a limit to where you go "Ok, you learned enough" (no, I dont think we are quite there yet). There has to be a soft-limit on the education required to do our job, the rest learned with time and experience. If there wasn't, then EVERYONE in medicine would have to be a doctor, which just isnt realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

18G

Paramedic
I'm kinda in the middle on the question of EMT's being allowed to do IV's. IV's are simple and really just take practice so it's not about rather or not they would be capable of doing them.

I would have to look at the benefit. How would patients be better served by having an EMT-Basic start an IV? I agree it could add some efficiency to the field with Paramedic/EMT teams but in how many situations is it really gonna matter if the EMT can start the line?

So I would have to say I'm not really for it or against it.... Basics around here cannot do IV's. I'm fine with it either way.

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
:nosoupfortroll: and the lovely debate opens up once again. Ill give you my .02 on the subject though. It depends on your area! If the basics are going to be able to get sticks, than I do not see a problem with Basics having IV. If the Basics are only going to get one or two sticks a month than NO! they should not have IV access.

Also, if they are running with a Medic. And the only thing the Basic is doing is establishing the IV. Than I do not have a problem with it.

I volunteer for a BLS county. Would I like to see IV access granted to us. Of course I would. Do I see it happening NO. If you do not practice and get to use your skills, they go bye bye. Same goes with Medications that IV's allow and understanding why medications are being given. The 21 hour class (I believe that is the length of the basic iv class now) is not long enough to get a true understanding of the basic drugs that you will most likely be allowed to push.

Now after this being said, use the search... this has been debated so many times!!! I believe the troll Is full, and might be to full to eat during thanksgiving

The overall perfect answer for any question or debate regarding "Do you think...should be allowed to..." should always be "depends". One size fits all doesn't work! In a rural area like mine, IV's- YES! In Boston, maybe not so much...ALS will be right there.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
The overall perfect answer for any question or debate regarding "Do you think...should be allowed to..." should always be "depends". One size fits all doesn't work! In a rural area like mine, IV's- YES! In Boston, maybe not so much...ALS will be right there.

even in rural area. I still have to go with depends. What is ur call volume. Will you get enought sticks in each month to keep ur skill level up? If one or two sticks a month. Than no. But if ur area requires iv access on a daily bases. you area might want to look at putting a higher level of care in place

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I would have to look at the benefit. How would patients be better served by having an EMT-Basic start an IV? I agree it could add some efficiency to the field with Paramedic/EMT teams but in how many situations is it really gonna matter if the EMT can start the line.

Exactly...I would like someone to point out a situation where there is a need to start an IV and the paramedic is busy with a more complicated procedure. Other than intubation, I can't think of anything, although I think EMTs should he able to intubate, especially if a medic is there to confirm placement afterwards. You aren't going to be defibrillating while a medic is starting a line, so that's out. If you are working a cardiac arrest, the medic will probably be skipping the iv and going to the io, while the EMT will be doing compressions. In most other situations, time is probably not so critical that the EMT needs to be doing something above their skillset. The EMT can be getting a history or doing a thorough exam, or just assisting the medic with whatever they are doing. So, what i'm really saying here is that although I think many EMTs could handle IVs just fine, there is very little reason for them to need that skill when working with a medic.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wait wait wait wait....

You don't want EMTs doing IVs, but you want them doing endotracheal intubation?

Lola99

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly...I would like someone to point out a situation where there is a need to start an IV and the paramedic is busy with a more complicated procedure. Other than intubation, I can't think of anything, although I think EMTs should he able to intubate, especially if a medic is there to confirm placement afterwards. You aren't going to be defibrillating while a medic is starting a line, so that's out. If you are working a cardiac arrest, the medic will probably be skipping the iv and going to the io, while the EMT will be doing compressions. In most other situations, time is probably not so critical that the EMT needs to be doing something above their skillset. The EMT can be getting a history or doing a thorough exam, or just assisting the medic with whatever they are doing. So, what i'm really saying here is that although I think many EMTs could handle IVs just fine, there is very little reason for them to need that skill when working with a medic.

Out of all that, I see your EMT is always with a medic. That's not true. For my county, we have one working medic. The other is commissioner and doesn't go out very often, if at all. I'm not saying basics should absolutely, hands-down be able to start IVs (frankly, I don't see it happening, but for the sake of conversation...), but I would always err on the side of education. If it were an option, I'd feel comfortable with them learning, but as I see it now, go advanced or hands off the needles.

Last edited by a moderator: